Who is the OFFBEAT POSSE?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Who is the OFFBEAT POSSE?

Postby StepDubStep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:15 pm

So many killer tunes have come over the years from the Jah Tubbys label. Who exactly is building/playing these riddims? And who is the engineer?

Some of my favorites since the 7"s and 10"s began....

Roots Gone International
Sufferer's Time
It's War
Rastafari Is the Way
Jah Jah Army
From a youth reggae inna me bloodstream, now a man reggae inna me system! From a boy reggae was my first joy, now a man reggae still number one!
StepDubStep

Re: Who is the OFFBEAT POSSE?

Postby Ruffneck » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Let's not forget the 80s Jah Tubbys and Y&D releases on a digikal dancehall tip, wonder if it is the same people involved as in the later releases? Think I asked this question long ago and got no answer. Hopefully someone can enlighten us this time as I'm also really curious about the Offbeat Posse and, in particular, the engineer. Some great mixing on both the 80s and the 00s releases...
Ruffneck

Postby StepDubStep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Exactly! Early style to now Offbeat Posse been credited. Tuff Tuff selections all along. It must be known by now. I realize Keith is the owner, operator, electronics wizard. Is he a composer/musician/engineer as well??? Almost all of JTS productions seem digital to these ears. So it doesn't seem too far fetched. Seems likely it could be a collaboration over the years of many different musical minds when it comes to the composition. But who?
From a youth reggae inna me bloodstream, now a man reggae inna me system! From a boy reggae was my first joy, now a man reggae still number one!
StepDubStep

Postby dan i dubdub » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:52 am

Am totally guessing but is Offbeat Posse simply the name to whoever Keith is working with at the time? I know Rastafari Is The Way was recorded and mixed by Russ D (he has said as much on this board) , Roots Gone International too? Others I have no idea, not a huge fan of JTS tunes really.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby naram » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:25 am

I've heard it mentioned that Gussie P was working with Jah Tubbys during the 80s digikal period - ie the Y&D stuff. Could be wrong though - just hearsay. The 80s Offbeat Posse stuff for me, are some of the best productions from early dancehall period. Love the beguiling simplicity yet wickedness of tracks like Tonight is the Night (Dixie Peach) and Selector Him Good (Little Clarke)...
naram

Postby Roman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 am

Jah Tubbys has been working with many producers including Dougie, Russ D, Steve Vibronics etc. I have no idea who The Offbeat Posse are but if I remember correctly many of Tubby's releases were recorded & mixed @ Jah Tubby's studio. Probably by the man himself.

naram: "Bubble N Rock" by Little Clarkie (Y&D 12") is wicked 2
Roman

Postby loyaljester » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Found the following small piece of information on the sleeve of the Frighty & Colonel Mite LP "Life":
"Special thanks to The Offbeat Posse (Cecil and Mikey Dinnall and Damien) for being the best musicians in the world".
These names don't mean much to me but I'm sure some of the UK veterans on this board know the full story... so please enlighten us. The people involved in playing on and mixing the JTS/Y&D releases certainly deserve some credits for their contributions to UK reggae.
loyaljester

Postby naram » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:18 am

Agreed - it would be wicked if some of the veterans could enlighten us. As a producer, I would also be interested in knowing what sort of gear etc they were operating with etc, as they certainly had an immediately recognisable unique sound (in the 80s specificially).

For what it's worth, here's my take on the classic Tonight is the Night riddim from Offbeat Posse on Y&D: http://soundcloud.com/naram/tonight-riddim
naram

Return to General discussion