Transitions when mixing JA vinyl

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Transitions when mixing JA vinyl

Postby StepDubStep » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:00 am

Cutting the bass requires the right tools to be done right. Doesn't have to be a preamp, but proper frequency kills are far from standard on most commercial gear... as are proper reggae x-overs. :wink:
Me no skin teeth and me no play!
StepDubStep

Postby Roman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:02 am

soul rebel wrote: I hope you mean don't beatmix

That's exactly what I mean
Roman

Postby naram » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:34 am

I think cutting tunes short can be good for the more uptempo later reggae and dancehall, especially 80s digital. I actually find even just hitting stop on the turntable, hearing the record slow to a halt and then droping the opening drum lick or whatever from the next tune can sound wicked.

Listen to any of Firehouse Sound's Mastermind Computer Style mixtapes to get an idea of how mixing in a rapidfire style and pattern can create excitement in the dance. Also Dub4's 'Play Music Play' mix demonstrates this. It's a skill though, if not done tastefully it's better to just let the tune play out.

And obviously you wouldn't want to mix in the same style for 70s roots.

As a general rule though, if you don't want to let a song play till it runs out, just fading back the volume a back tastefully and then timing the drop of the next tune's drum lick nicely as it fades out is a good option (in my opinion).

Beat matching is almost never appropriate in reggae, except perhaps with riddim selections - and only for dancehall.

I guess this debate basically comes down to juggling versus selection. Both have their place...
naram

Postby Mark T » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:55 pm

[quote="soul rebel"]I know some selectors, mainly ones in the "revive" scene, like to play records from beginning to end. As a "modern" selector on an "all-round" sound this practice drives me crazy. Of course it depends on what part of the dance we are talking about, but if it's primetime and you're dropping big tunes, tunes that everyone knows, and have heard a million times before, please don't play the whole thing... I'd rather rewind the first 20-30 seconds of Dennis Brown's Revolution 2 or 3 times, than just let the tune go to the end. Alternatively, you can cut it out a the right point, let the crowd sing it, and BOOM drop in the next tune. Work with speeches, effects, etc. There are so many ways to go, which keep the dance flowing, moving, and EXCITING.

I know all it's all a matter of opinion and taste but I don't like this approach at all - I don't mind the odd rewind but play the tune!
I've never gone to dances much but when I've listened to them or watched bits on YouTube and they take this approach I just turn it off.
I wonder if this got started or became more prevalent during the Dancehall era when there certainly seemed to be a lot more songs that had nothing but one good hook line - play that a couple of times and dispense with the rest.
And of course, I'm happy to hear no more than the first few seconds of any Michael Prophet song... 8)

BTW, I'm more the age of the revive scene..
Mark T

Postby algoriddim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:32 pm

My two pence worth...

Regarding playing a tune out all the way and having dead air in between (ala old school soundsystem style): personally I prefer to always have the tunes playing with no dead air. I've only been to a few UK dances, so I never built a sentimental attachment to that one turntable style. I feel like it is just a different kind of thing and doesn't keep the energy up the same way.

I do like (loooove) mixing tracks on the same riddim, but have never found much success or inclination to mix together two tracks on different riddims.

That being said, when on the radio I'll mix versions til the cows come home, sometimes 30 minutes on a riddim, but in a dance I rarely play more than three tunes on a single riddim.

Over the years I've tried to get tighter and tighter with the various riddims, and this often means playing a version for only a minute or two, but I think this makes sense when you've got 15 versions of a riddim lined up and you just want people to taste what that particular track adds to the riddim. I also focus on showcasing certain artists, so I really am more introducing you to them so that you can explore more yourself. In recent years, I've even taken to mixing two versions of a riddim in a left / right split, which gives me something to play that no one else has and highlights the subtleties of the different mixdowns of the track.

I think my mixing style was influenced by Chicago house. I remember watching friends mixing house with these long blends, bringing in and out the upcoming track. Somehow that got into my DNA.

Also, I don't do rewinds. Nope.
algoriddim

Postby algoriddim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Interestingly, just came across this recent interview, where Mikey Dread from Channel one talks about this specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tEG_6Fi08Y#t=1035
algoriddim

Previous

Return to General discussion