Birmingham

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Birmingham

Postby Capt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:13 am

Any record-shopping advice for Birmingham, UK?

Will be there next week, are there any interesting record shops, market stalls maybe, to find some good old reggae-vinyl?

thanks
Capt

Re: Birmingham

Postby Ras Berry » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:58 am

Good luck with that!

(currently B18)

8)
Ras Berry

Postby beenie bongo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Music & Video Exchange on Queensway is your safest bet, I guess. Don't know if Summit Records still exist on Dudley road?
beenie bongo

Postby soulfire » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:07 am

Well, on my last visit to Brum in Dec 2012, what a disappointment!
I went round all the shops I used to go to when I lived there between 2003 and 2007 and did not find a single record worth buying. They all had multiple copies of some regular (not to say "crap") tunes by Dekker, Biggs and Pluto, but that was it really.

Roots reggae records you can forget about it. I wonder if this has all been skimmed by UK ebay sellers, or I suppose those records don't even make it to the second hand shops, they just get bought by sellers from the owners direct though local newspapers "records wanted" ads. I wonder what are your thought on this. Where are the bloody records gone?

There used to be a fair bit of goods 80's or digital reggae around in shops like The Diskery or Music & Video Exchange, but it seems that it's all gone too now, and that only remains some forgettable 90's/2000s dancehall.

About Summit, Lats time I went there it was on stephenson street by New street station, and it was all dancehall, especially dvds and a few rythm series, but most of the business seemed to be the barber shop. don't know if that's still the case now

You can always try the Diskery (by Chinatown/bullring area), MVE, Swordfish (for LPs),the indoor bullring market.. but don't get too excited, you might end up disappointed.
soulfire

Postby beenie bongo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Last time I went (summer 2012), Summit Records on Stephenson Street no longer existed. I thought the old Dudley Road shop was still open, but I haven't been there for ages now.

I usually find a few tunes or LPs at MVE when I reach, but I guess it depends what you're looking for. As for the indoor Bullring market, it's mostly Dancehall CDs/DVDs, I can't recall finding anything of interest (to me) there.
beenie bongo

Postby Capt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 am

Ok guys, thanks for advice..

Wont expect too much then, so i can only be happily surprised..
Capt

Return to General discussion