Sound system culture in South America

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Sound system culture in South America

Postby oldsko0l » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm leaving in some time for half a year of travelling in South-America.
So obviously while doing a little research on this continent, I come to the question 'What about reggae?'

The first 2 months I'm staying in Colombia. After that, nothing is fixed yet. Maybe Panama, maybe Peru, probably Ecuador.
There must be some kind of scene over there, so close to JA :)
Who can tell me what to expect, and has some tips?

And like the title says, sound systems get a bonus point!
oldsko0l

Re: Sound system culture in South America

Postby pinup » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 pm

I know Digitaldubs are from Brazil, that's about as close as I can get!!
pinup

Postby beenie bongo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Not really reggae related but there's a heavy sound system tradition in Columbia, through "los picos". They usually play cumbia and other types of South American folk music through hand-built systems. You can check some of those systems on the following link:

http://acbia.wordpress.com/picos-sound-system/ (text in spanish)

Might be worth a check ;)
beenie bongo

Postby capullo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Not really reggae related but there's a heavy sound system tradition in Columbia, through "los picos". They usually play cumbia and other types of South American folk music through hand-built systems. You can check some of those systems on the following link:

http://acbia.wordpress.com/picos-sound-system/ (text in spanish)

Might be worth a check

and plenty african music too. colombian selectors flew regularly to african countries to look for the best music in nigeria, south africa, congo, benin etc. in the 70's. there is plenty villages on the caribbean side of colombia where the descendents of african tribes still speak african dialects (next to spanish and jamaican english) panama, costa rica and nicaragua is all jamaican english people who came for work 100 years ago. also check the islands san andres and providencia that belong to colombia.
capullo

Postby SteveT » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 am

You could try looking on:

http://www.reggaecolombia.com/index.html

That might have something on there
SteveT

Postby asher selector » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:28 am

Irie Bless Irie Biiig Up ...

Yes Nuff Nuff Reggae & Selecta all Ova SOUTH & CENTRAL AMERICA but SOUND SYSTEM Is a few in BRAZIL & ONE BIG ONE is inna SANTIAGO del CHILE by the Name of ROOTZ HI-FI & is BIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG & REAL ...

RASTAFARI ...
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby Zefyko » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:36 am

Yess ROOTZ HI FI 8 scoops sound system from Santiago, playing very regularly (at least twice a month)
www.rootzhifi.com

I know there are some systems in Mexico and Brazil (Digital Dubz, Dub Versao and more)
In Maranhao you have a huuuge scene since the 70s, with huuuuuge stacks and nuufffff people attending dances, it's more in a lovers mood but take alook at this video to get the idea of how massive this is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTm5GK-u ... 1DF1525278

Another sound system is being build in Buenos Aires (Warriors of Dub)

Tings are growing faaaast!
HIGH BASS SOUND SYSTEM
THE STEPPIN' PENGUINS' HI FI

www.HIGHBASS.net
Zefyko

Postby lankou » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:59 pm

In Brazil, there used to be an important sound system scene in the state of Amazonas, in the Manaus area. A number of JA artists played there often in the 80's, even some who were no longer popular in JA. A lot of lovers rock tunes were popular there[url]. A documentary about that scene was even shot in the same period but the name eludes me. Big PA equipment if i remember well.
On the revive front there is Jurassic Sound, a collective from Sao Paulo whose sessions you can see on several youtube clips. They are also infamously renouned for the Me & You On a Jamboree blog. Nevertheless, their sessions seem to attract big crowds.
lankou

Postby oldsko0l » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:39 am

Made it to santiago and waiting for the session of rootz hifi in 2 days ! !
How I have missed the sweet sounds of reggae-
Other question, any record shop here worth visiting in santiago?
oldsko0l

Postby Zefyko » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Lucky you, first year that i don't go to Chile since i left, gonna miss the Navidub vibes!

Keep in mind that people go out late, specially after Xmas, so don't expect the place to be crowded when you reach and don't worry if at 2am the place is still not packed,
Unfortunately, there are no records shops at all where you could find something interesting.
The only record shop i know is called Fun Tracks and the only reggae you'll find will be the tipical LPs you find everywhere.
Even for latin stuff like asalsa and cumbia etc I was very disapointed, found much more stuff in 2 hours in Peru than whole days of searching for tunes in Chile...

Did you find some reggae in the other countries ??
HIGH BASS SOUND SYSTEM

www.HIGHBASS.net
Zefyko

Postby oldsko0l » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Yeah, I´m supersiked, will be the first sound in months!
The dance only starts at 12 o clock, but that´s a good thing, first some nice Xmas dinner :)

Been to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia so far and apart from the semi-reggae bar didn´t spot much.
Only Lima has some kind of soundsystem scene and had some big selectors coming over in the past years.
Actually, on the 17th of January they got Mungo´s hifi visiting the city.

Incredible continent though!
oldsko0l

Postby zonard » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:31 am

"La Casa Rasta" is a reggae shop in Quito (Ecuador). I went there in july 2008, just a few weeks after it open. At the time it was the only reggae shop in Ecuador and we shared some nice vibes in there.
Shop was owned by some members of reggae group "Alma Rasta".
Plenty of CD-R copies from all the major reissue labels (B&F included) but trust me this was a struggler business and at least they had quite a good knowledge of the "real roots rock reggae"...
Some nice T Shirts too, but only one vinyl (a BMW gatefold LP) :lol:

I found some records in Quito too (downtown), nothing really interesting except an unexpected 12" from Ruud Gullit (yes the Dutch football player !) singing "South Africa" and the not so bad "Free Me" :shock: :shock:
zonard

Postby oldsko0l » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:19 am

interesting, thanks zonard. I' ll try to locate that shop when I get back there.
oldsko0l

Postby Zefyko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Did you enjoy the navidub session?
HIGH BASS SOUND SYSTEM

www.HIGHBASS.net
Zefyko

Postby oldsko0l » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:53 am

Hej Zefyko.
I loved the session! Hadnt been to one in almost 5 months, and it was the best to hear the reggae vinyl on custom made sound! Good selection as well. Nice location in some kind of villa, + Belgium beers!

One thing though, somehow pretty unfriendly crowd in the room..
Not going into details, but more than once I thought "Dude/Women please, it´s christmass eve and you´re at this awesome party. Act like it"
Maybe I just had bad luck with the people that night. Music was a treat!
oldsko0l

Return to General discussion