How do you feel about cameras/video in a dance?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

How do you feel about cameras/video in a dance?

Postby mikus » Wed May 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Im against it. Happy to see that Shaka seems to have taken out a ban! (see bottom of flyer)

I just find it can ruin the atmosphere.....
>Free download of my dubwise productions + mixes, released under the Creative Commons license @
http://mikusmusik.blogspot.com
mikus

Re: How do you feel about cameras/video in a dance?

Postby charasi-i » Thu May 30, 2013 12:35 am

Don't really see how you can stop this with the technology available on mobiles these days , you can hardly confiscate everyones phones on the door. Remember seeing similar statements on flyers/posters over the years, not just Shaka, though also seen lots of people with held recording devices inside dances/gigs as well. Must say if everyone abided to this there wouldn't be so much stuff to view on u tube etc. :?
Alakh ! Bam Bam Bholanath ! Bom Shiva !
charasi-i

Postby message_music » Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 am

think its pure stupidness to be honest. who is anyone to say you can or cant take videos or photos of dance. ur the paying public ! went to a shaka dance and was takin a photo and was told not to. pure **** if u ask me its something for me to remember the moment by not nuclear material
message_music

Postby Carassius » Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am

I partly overstand it.

In a way i'm pro cameras in a dance, cause I myself like to make some vid's now & then to show my appreciation for the music & sounds and also for the people who want to have a visual memory of the dance.. Also, alot of sounds would not be so well known i think if it was not for people sharing pics, vids, recordings from them.. it creates a certain 'hype'

On the other hand i can see why people like Shaka are against it. I can imagine, in Shaka's case, everywhere he comes people want to film him and take pictures. If you want to get in a nice vibe while playing it's a bit annoying if every few seconds you see a flash or you have frontrow people who take pictures all the time... I can see he would be annoyed by that
Carassius

Postby Baba Jonah » Thu May 30, 2013 11:57 am

Please, for the love of Jah Jah, if your gonna film at all make sure its good quality sound and visual. Same goes for recordings.
For every great bit of footage theres a million rubbish clips littering Talawa and YouTube not doing the soundman or their tunes justice at all.
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby mikus » Thu May 30, 2013 1:34 pm

You cant confiscate but you can ask people politely not to and create a culture where its not seen as a human/consumer right to film!

Mobile phone footage of a dance on youtube is something i can live without anyway - bass distorted to high heaven and the magic rarely comes across. Most (not all) of it is worthless.

As to "who is anyone to say you can or cant take videos or photos of dance", its courteous in any situation to ask for permission to take a photo or film someone. Personally I hate being filmed/photographed and get a little angry if i see anyone pointing a phone in my direction. Ive asked people to stop filming/photographing me before -(if the phone camera is in my face).

It also depends on your attitude to the atmosphere in a dance - personally i think a great vibe requires full participation and crucially "immersion" of all present. The act of filming breaks that, it can turn everything into a spectacle, makes people being filmed become uncomfortably self-conscious, and in the case of Shaka I have seen footage of him being surrounded by people filming simultaneously. If it were me I would take the same steps he seems to have.

There have been a few bands recently who start their stage shows asking people to not film - not because of copyright but because of this idea of "immersion". I've heard of a dance club in Berlin that also has a no photo/phone policy.

I think the decision should rest in the hands of the promoter or equivalent. If they want to film themselves or give permission to the public to do so then so be it, but I dont think its right that it should be a given. In fact the opposite, i feel it should be presumed not okay to do, unless permission is given.
>Free download of my dubwise productions + mixes, released under the Creative Commons license @
mikus

Postby dan i dubdub » Thu May 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Agree with Mikus really. Shaka has had this position for a long time. I think it is a pity for people not to trust their memories of a dance or show any more. I am all for 'immersion', it is the only way to fulljoy a session, whether you are a punter or a performer! When you are at a show full of people recording, most of them aren't really mentally present, instead they are focussed on some screen. Baba Jonah makes a good point too, not all clips are worth hearing/seeing and that does no one any favours.

But there is an important case to be made for archiving sessions, getting them filmed by people who know what they are doing, like Rooftop and others.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby mark b » Thu May 30, 2013 3:47 pm

shaka only against it cos ,money run tings.
mark b

Postby dougie conscious » Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 pm

worries in the dance,there 100 of vid clips of mr perfomimg some great some real crap i dont mind people filming, what would be nice is if they contacted me before they put it on youtube once its up its very hard to get them taken down,
dougie conscious

Postby mikus » Fri May 31, 2013 9:16 am

mark b wrote:shaka only against it cos ,money run tings.

how do you mean mark? Where does money come into this?
mikus

Postby TruthTown » Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 am

Banning??? Yes, but lets ban control street cameras!! :evil:

If you are a "public" artist, giving a "public" show...How can you pretend audience to be banned??? Too much idolize of some artists. And some artist think they are god...

As everything in life, its about the measure: there are always some (a lot) stupid people who cannot live without their phones/cameras/facebook/twitter, etc...Its annoying to see them filming everything...but I think "Its their problem" I go to the concerts/sounds to dance & enjoy. But I find a normal thing taking 1 or 2 photos to remember the event.
TruthTown

Postby patrikirie » Fri May 31, 2013 3:15 pm

yeah, this is a bit difficult question for me to answer cause i take a lot of pics myself.

when i started taking pictures i didnt really see anyone here in sweden taking pics, and sometimes i just went crazy.
but i always felt a bit "vibe disturbing object".

nowadays i try to take a bunch of pics during the sound is putting up their stack,if able.then about halfway thru(or when i think no more people will enter )take some more and then in the end when the lights are on and the sound is off, a few more.

but yeah, i do to think it sometimes is annoying with all the flashes going off. i think thats the most thing i feel ashamed of when i push the button.

patrik
http://alltribeswelcomespics.tumblr.com/
patrikirie

Postby Roman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:04 pm

I don't get why some of you are so upset. Shaka is nicely telling visitors not to bring any audio or video equiplment to the dance. It's his show so I suppose he's the boss. Some clubs and restaurants require dress codes (which is a much bigger "violation of personal freedom" than Shaka's requirement about the audio and video equiplment) and I don't hear anyone here complaining about that

BTW... GG Allin used to treat unwanted camera men a bit differently (1:17):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHGxOJZJ-I

...and there were no warnings on his flyers either
Roman

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:40 pm

It's obviously considered the norm now but before the age of phone cameras there was no way that anyone could take pics in a dance without permission, or you'd have been accused of being police & probably beaten up or at the very least thrown out. I had to get permission from Shaka for the pics I took of him years ago & even then I got nuff strange looks from people in the session & even had someone try to stop me till Shaka told them that it was ok....
Reggaemusicstore

Postby mikus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Roman wrote:
BTW... GG Allin used to treat unwanted camera men a bit differently (1:17):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHGxOJZJ-I

Like Liam says, underpants can never done :lol:
mikus

Next

Return to General discussion