Tunes with the Best Drumming

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Tunes with the Best Drumming

Postby underated » Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 pm

lankou wrote: As for the drum programmers, the best of them are more often than not artists who knew how to use a real drumkit as well,Sly, the guy from Firehouse Crew and Clevie are most probably on top of the list, much much less "stiff" rhythms than what the average programmer tends to do.

Yes what you say is probably correct but for listeners like myself it goes much deeper. Many times i don't want to hear the sound of a real drummer, i enjoy listening to the repetitive programmed drums, I don't even like them to swing too much, i don't see the point in trying to imitate the pushing & pulling effect of real drum timing.
I like to listen to electronic sounds, & if anything, sounding like a computer is a good thing.

I wonder what carly said to fams all those years ago when he brought a 'drumbox' to JA ?

@WellCharge,

StepDubStep has some nice examples,
& check this one out, nothing amazing, it's just that it fits the track, works well with the bass.
A real drummer would not make it any better, if anything the old kits can sound very dated.

http://youtu.be/QmzYi-Az0Go

As Inyaki points out though, in the studio the producer is everything :)
underated

Postby underated » Thu May 23, 2013 7:00 pm

One of my fav drummers is a guy here in Philly called Neville, he does not playout too much now, back in the day he backed up some foundation artists. If i let him hear an electronic loop, I wonder if he would smile & say

'Bwoy dat nuh real music, it gwan sound like a lickle bag oh foolishness' :)
underated

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu May 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Ranking Glasses

Postby guillaumebougard » Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 am

zonard wrote:itself a version of the "Death In The Arena" riddim wich comes from Bernard Purdie's Funky Donkey

Zonard, you never cease to fukcing amaze me! You are a true music encyclopaedia. Respect
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby lankou » Fri May 24, 2013 11:08 am

Underated, thanks for the pointers, i listened to the Disciples tune with interest, always nice to learn. It is well done but really not the vibe i tend to get excited about. Too dry and stiff for these ears.
On the other hand, i definitely love the vibe Russ D (i hope i'm not mistaken- is it the same Disciples ?) comes up with when he produces for NYC label Manilla Jeepney, lots of lovely songs with a different feel to the drum programming.
As for drum programming mixed with real drums, been going back to a lot of old Xterminator sounds lately (circa 91/98) where Fattis more often than not hired Sly, it seems. They have stood the test of time amazingly well. Here are just a few obvious examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG6udLLQTrY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SG3NiNkKR0
lankou

Postby Inyaki » Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 am

Is all programmed on those Xterminators !
Inyaki

Postby MulatuAstatke » Fri May 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Inyaki wrote:The actual tuning of the drum kit and the way is recorded (and mixed) is as important as the skill of the drummer.
Some drumming mentioned here is actually quite average, is the recording and mixing that sounds amazing.

Most foundation drummers still active are actually probably 'better' (more acomplished) nowadays than they were in the 60-70-80s but their modern recordings don't sound the same ......the sound has changed

could you give an example of one of the average one's from this thread? i agree the sound/mixing etc was very important but im sure most the tracks in this thread mentioned have a pretty high standard of playing.The playing has to be fairly competent in order for the engineer to do anything with it or for it to be even worth tuning the drums. If a drummer don't know how to hit (or mix himself) its gonna sound **** whatever producer you got behind it. Can't polish a turd. Though definitely was a lot of average drumming in 70's JA and im sure some of the players are more 'accomplished' now.
MulatuAstatke

Postby Inyaki » Fri May 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Average meaning....any decent Reggae drummer ( at least the ones I 've played with in London ) can play those patterns. Most of them aren't that tricky.
Now, getting them to sound like that....that's a different story. The engineers are as important. That was my point.
Producers have nothing to do in general....well, they pay and that makes the drummers happy!
Inyaki

Postby MulatuAstatke » Fri May 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Inyaki wrote:Average meaning....any decent Reggae drummer ( at least the ones I 've played with in London ) can play those patterns. Most of them aren't that tricky.
Now, getting them to sound like that....that's a different story. The engineers are as important. That was my point.
Producers have nothing to do in general....well, they pay and that makes the drummers happy!

yeh was using producer/engineer interchangebly then (shouln't have). Yes i agree most reggae patterns are'nt that difficult for someone who can play reggae (NOT rock drummers etc who think they can). I reckon it can be said about a lot of genre's, being a great drummer isn't just the technical difficulty of the beats being played. Its the groove/how they hit/not overplaying/orginality .

Some of the best drumming in the last 50 years (excluding jazz) is pretty simple on a note by note basis. There is more to drumming than doing death metal kickdrum paradiddles. Bernard perdie etc kept it simple but were technically amazing. Reggae drummers not on the same level as him in the most part but still on point.
MulatuAstatke

Postby dubmastercanada » Fri May 24, 2013 3:49 pm

4 randooms that come to mind

king tubby meets rockers uptown
johnny clarke - want e want e cant get e
courtney melody - screechie across the border
soom t - survivor
dubmastercanada

Postby Inyaki » Fri May 24, 2013 4:43 pm

MulatuAstatke wrote: .....for someone who can play reggae

This is a Reggae forum :D
Inyaki

Postby Gimialight » Fri May 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Economical Crisis Deh Pon Top - Michael Prophet
If I Don´ t Have You - Gregory Isaacs
Ethiopian Kings - Rod Taylor
Augustus Pablo - No Entry
Augustus Pablo - Natural Way
Keith Hudson - Torch Of Freedom
Gimialight

Postby Mark T » Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm not sure that I could tell a great drummer from an average drummer but it always boiled down to the sound that was created by the mix (at least that is what I assumed and maybe this is what Inyaki is referring to if I understand correctly). The sound Pablo got from the drums on tracks like Rockers Dub (to pick the opening track of Original Rockers which was an album I listened to endlessly) is the sound that I loved in reggae.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgG7x78vnmQ

I remember one reviewer describing it as the sound of a drum kit being thrown down the steps of a lighthouse - says it all.

Didn't Led Zeppelin record the drums for Physical Graffiti with the drums situated in the bottom of a stair well? I guess they were going for something of the same effect.

Mark T
Mark T

Postby MulatuAstatke » Sat May 25, 2013 11:18 am

Mark T wrote:I
Didn't Led Zeppelin record the drums for Physical Graffiti with the drums situated in the bottom of a stair well? I guess they were going for something of the same effect.

Mark T

Its 'When the levee Breaks' (Led Zeppelin IV??). Yeh think they had the mike down a stone stairwell or something. Big drum sound dat! Definitely not the kind of sound you want for reggae. Reminds me of Led Zeppelins attempt at reggae, can't remember what its called, but you can tell Bonham was **** hating it. Love him as a drummer but couldn't do reggae to save his life.
MulatuAstatke

-

Postby osafe » Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm

-
Last edited by osafe on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osafe

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion