Roy Shirley - Beautiful Zion

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Roy Shirley - Beautiful Zion

Postby kalcidis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Was thing song ever released? Heard it on a Sir Coxsone Outernational tape from '83. An absolutely true gem of a song. Slightly similar bassline to Don Carlos - Prepare Black Man.
kalcidis

Re: Roy Shirley - Beautiful Zion

Postby Donovan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Kalcidis,
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm a big fan of the High Priest (check my sig) and would love to hear this one. Personally, I've never seen a copy or heard the Coxsone Outernational session.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby kalcidis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:14 am

Unfortunately I think it's a dubplate only but at least you can hear it here:
https://soundcloud.com/mikey-glamour/co ... ighteous83

It starts at approx. 30:30. That session (specially pt. 3) is perhaps one of the best sound tapes I've ever had the joy to hear. Lloydie Coxsone is hard.
kalcidis

Postby Freddy__ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 am

Indeed a great tape!
I'm pretty shure there is a diffrent tune released on that same riddim, will look for it this evening
Freddy__

Postby kalcidis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:54 am

Yes. A monkey from Greece just pointed out to me that the rhythm is the same Horace Martin - We Are All One and also Clarence Aird - Black Unity.
Last edited by kalcidis on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalcidis

Postby Freddy__ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:58 am

Yes, that's the one I meant, love the riddim!
Freddy__

Postby kalcidis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:09 am

A beautiful rhythm. The Horace Martin is obviously on the same cut as Roy Shirley (sounds early 80's) while it is a cover of the Clarence Aird. Three really strong cuts.
kalcidis

Postby Donovan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:09 pm

kalcidis wrote:Unfortunately I think it's a dubplate only but at least you can hear it here:
https://soundcloud.com/mikey-glamour/co ... ighteous83

It starts at approx. 30:30. That session (specially pt. 3) is perhaps one of the best sound tapes I've ever had the joy to hear. Lloydie Coxsone is hard.

Ah, thank you very much.
Donovan

Postby kalcidis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 am

I hope you enjoy it! I've personally never head Roy Shirley like this. If you have any recommendations in this vein I'd very much appreciate it.
kalcidis

Postby skunkride » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:27 pm

kalcidis wrote:A monkey from Greece just pointed out to me that the rhythm is the same Horace Martin - We Are All One and also Clarence Aird - Black Unity.

Those greek monkeys know everything

:wink:
skunkride

Postby ephteeay » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:49 am

haha not really... and the little this monkey did know is unfortunately going away with age (and of course by finally being cured from the reggae & nothing else obsession)
ephteeay

Postby kalcidis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 am

Skunky: Really? Ask him about proper Japanese etiquette. He's like a bull in a china shop! :lol:
kalcidis

Postby Donovan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:32 am

kalcidis wrote:I hope you enjoy it! I've personally never head Roy Shirley like this. If you have any recommendations in this vein I'd very much appreciate it.

Wow, what a great tune! That is the hardest I've ever heard Roy. I want to unearth a copy! Roy was interesting in that he never really left the Rock Steady era. Even his 1976 LP The Winner, recorded right at the roots zenith, sounded a bit dated when first released. And as much as I love Roy, he much too often recycled the hook from 'Hold Them'. But if you don't have the The Winner, that is an excellent album. I'm sure you have Music is the Key 1967-1977 on Trojan. If not, it's a must.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby kalcidis » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

I do not have either of the two you mentioned. I've heard The Winner and been trying to find a reasonable priced copy in decent condition. Some day. The Trojan CD I would need to check out further even though I know some of the more known songs from before. Thanks for the heads up.
kalcidis

Return to General discussion