Kingston Connexion 12" at Reggaemusicstore now

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby uhuru disciple » Wed May 17, 2006 10:41 am

Steve,

I ll keep your mainline for my interview :the instrumentals were recorded or mixed at black ark, and the voicing at randy s which would explain why D Madden told me it was at randy s. I think your theory is very close to the truth.

thanks !!
uhuru disciple

Postby DrSuperlove » Wed May 17, 2006 4:25 pm

Reggaemusicstore wrote:Ok and Dr, yes, your order's safe...

got it, usual quick and efficient service, cheers!

this tune is so hard...
Wickedness increase!
DrSuperlove

Postby uhuru disciple » Thu May 25, 2006 9:56 pm

Reggaemusicstore wrote:Jacques, the drum roll at the start of Nowhere & the percussion sounds exactly like the Upsetters band at the Black Ark, so does the reverb & echo. I can't believe this wasn't recorded there, no matter what David Madden says!

Steve,

I met David Madden yesterday in Lyon.
I have interviewed him, and also asked him about 'nowhere' and black ark
he said that all was done at randy s. But he acknowledges that he went to perry with his 4 track to put some reverb&echo (lee perrys reverb) on his tracks.He says he did it himself and that scratch just allowed him to use it but was never involved into recording nor remixing it.
I am working on the interview, I ll put the link when I have time.

Respects,
Jacques
uhuru disciple

Re: Kingston Connexion 12" at Reggaemusicstore now

Postby patxiez » Wed May 31, 2006 9:22 pm

Reggaemusicstore wrote:.....

SIDE A: Ras Danhi - Nowhere
David Madden - River Flow On
SIDE B: Pablo Paul - Respect
Herman Marquis & David Madden - Take 5

Can anyone tell me how good does this 12'' sounds? .I have these tunes on the CD 'Beres Hammond and friends' ERC 2001 and although they're killer, they doesn't have a proper sound, specially the Ras Danhi's and the Marquis', the Pablo Paul one sounds better (although the bass is not that deep). If this reissue sounds better then I'll have to buy it.
patxiez

Postby zonard » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:46 am

This release sounds wicked, deep bass… all you need !
The dub to Ras Dahni’s Nowhere is just a (little) bit weaker in term of sound quality but the 3 others are really heavy.
zonard

Postby uhuru disciple » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:36 pm

True ! Give thanks !

just a little precision : the title 'river flow on' as you know it is attached to nowhere s track,and the 2e track mislabeled as 'river flow on ' is in fact the riddim only , the one to sing on, and was NEVER released , so there is no comparison for the sound .
The sound on the disco is very very heavy ,designed to release fat bass for heavy roots sessions .

One love
uhuru disciple

Postby Giorgos Chaimalas » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:19 pm

englishpound wrote:Can anyone confirm if Zap Pow's "Last War" was recorded at Black Ark? On the 12" label it shows Black Ark as the recording studio but it is crossed out with swastikas!

On "Zap Pow" LP (ILPS 9547), "Last War" seems to be recorded at Treasure Island studio.........but I can`t talk about the 12".........
Giorgos Chaimalas

Postby skunkride » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:12 pm

Next David Madden vocal on the Nowhere riddim :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=010

Not as tuff as the ras danhi cut but nice for itself.
Pity there isn't a horns or DJ cut on the flip...that could be great ! :wink:
skunkride

Postby uhuru disciple » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:01 pm

I got only 10 copies of it and 100 were pressed in ja .
I personaly wanted to keep it as a dubplate with 2 jazzbo cut and the special horn mixes , but I admit that the message delivered by david Madden is huge , the lyrics really talk to me , and that it deserves to be broadcasted .
I have put one of these special horn cut (different line from river flow on ) on my mix which is ready . I just take time to upload it and send links
because I d prefer it to be hosted.anyway I ll take a decision tonight .

Next disco with david Madden production will be last war with an unreleased version (not the lp nor the disco )
Before that 'sometimes ' REAL cut will be ready in 2 or 3 weeks .

Ps : kingston connexion disco number 2 just reached my home today !!!
uhuru disciple

Postby jahkob » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:09 pm

"Happy Home" is a good follow up to "Nowhere". Taking it easy for everyday life stress burning herbs kind of tune. Keep em coming, Uhuru.
. . . live good and good shall come to you . . .
jahkob

Postby uhuru disciple » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:29 pm

and Don t Dope is a promotional spot for ganja :lol: , we joked on that with a friend saying that Pablo Paul maybe did it when ganja was selling slower (because of dope )and that he tried to use it to boost his business :lol:
If herb was legal all over the world that s the kind of tune we would hear in cannabis supermarkets . Of course this is a joke as there s some much more spiritual material in the lyrics .
Now seriously , I am glad most of the people like Happy Home which is not a big surprise ,but I am very astonished Dont Dope hasn t stricken more people ,to me it is a very big sound system tune with heavy bass and entertaining flow .And one more time when you realise it s late 70's sound it makes it even stronger .
I always feared the distorted rock guitar would shock those who are used to more classical sound but I think it was used to represent rock and hard drugs and at the end of the intro when the riddim 'springs ' its some 'tuff as the King ' music .One of the very best David Madden 's riddim to me ,but it s too early to talk about this as on this board only you and me have a copy of the record :wink:
uhuru disciple

Postby MulatuAstatke » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Does anyone know if this interview with david madden ever surfaced? Kingston connexion website not working..

cheers..
MulatuAstatke

Postby davidmadden » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Which interview are you looking for?
davidmadden

Postby MulatuAstatke » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 am

davidmadden wrote:Which interview are you looking for?

The one Jaques talks about in this thread concerning Ras Dahni - Nowhere.

Is this actually david madden?? if so respect! Anything you can tell us about Ras Dahni, was he just a person who came into the studio once? or a singer with another name? The tune sounds a lot like it was recorded at black ark but according to this thread it was actually done at Randy's, is that the case?

cheers
MulatuAstatke

Postby davidmadden » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:22 am

Yes this is actually David. To answer your question it's been 40 years so it is very hard to remember. I think it was a one time recording where we took the tape to Zappow's own studio to put horns on to it but we never ended up doing it. The tune was actually done at Randy's.
davidmadden

Previous

Return to General discussion