Recent finds?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Recent finds?

Postby Mick Sleeper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 am

"Many Are Called" by I Threes on Tuff Gong. A very cool and often overlooked Lee Perry production.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Ras Berry » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Freddie McKay ~ Be Sorry (Ujama 7")

8)
Ras Berry

Postby flashman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 am

I wish it had happened to me, but:
My friend just happened upon a copy of Sylvan Morris - Cultural Dub
in a shop for $10!
Crazy. I believe a copy went for $600 a few months back.
What a score.
flashman

Postby shadrach » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:51 am

Gene Rondo/ Militant Barry : Jah Jah Worker- Africa Is My Home (Burning Sounds 12")
Black Uhuru/ Prince Hammer: Bad Girl-African Love-Yogi Bear (Warrior 12")
Singie Singie/Frankie Paul: If I am wrong- Shining Star (Tonos 12")
Heptones: Good Life- Can't Hide From Jah (Greensleeves 12")
Dennis Brown/Aswad: The Promised Land (Simba 12")
Sylvan White : Son be careful (Freedom Sounds 7")
Earl Zero : Shackles and chain (Freedom Sounds 7")
The Jewels : Dream Love Babe (Cash and Carry 7")
Pauline of Brown Sugar/Dambala : Me and My Dread (Rough Lion 12")
shadrach

Postby kalcidis » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:37 pm

That Pauline with Dambala 12" is a real treat. Found it in a store here in Stockholm some time last year and it totally blew my mind. It was rather cheap so I picked it thinking and hoping it would be a nice slice of lovers rock -- wasn't prepared for the ethereal deep roots vibe of it. I love the arrangement which isn't a lazy two chord roots song in any way, and the mix is just stellar interstellar if that says anything...
kalcidis

Postby shadrach » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:10 pm

kalcidis wrote:That Pauline with Dambala 12" is a real treat. Found it in a store here in Stockholm some time last year and it totally blew my mind. It was rather cheap so I picked it thinking and hoping it would be a nice slice of lovers rock -- wasn't prepared for the ethereal deep roots vibe of it. I love the arrangement which isn't a lazy two chord roots song in any way, and the mix is just stellar interstellar if that says anything...

I see what you mean Kalcidis, or at least I understand you deep appreciation for this tune!
Dambala kick ass as they usually do, was equally blown away when I first heard their 'Visions of War', they play in a whole different league, top notch music!
shadrach

Postby minidub » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 am

beshara -- candi/sattamassagana (c & e 12")

i have only been aware of this single for less than a year. one of the band members' son emailed me after seeing a radio playlist containing the "glory, glory" reissue. he was very kind and in his email included some mp3s of other tunes. i have been on the hunt for "sattamassagana" ever since! i'm definitely a happy camper.

m.
minidub

Postby BMC » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:03 am

Got a chance to get some nice records for good prices the other day. All in range €5 - 10.

LPs
Bunny Lie Lie - Musical Pressure (Caldor - no sleeve)
George Faith - To Be A Lover (Black Swan)
I Roy - Many Moods Of I Roy (Trojan)
Mighty Diamonds - Deeper Roots + Dub (Virgin)

12's
Horace Andy - Serious Thing b/w Bullwackies Allstars - Serious Dub (Wackies)
Edi Fitzroy & Ringo – Youth Man In A Penitentiary / Life In A Jailhouse b/w Roots Radix Band - General Penitentiary / Jail House Rock (Maroon Rockers)
Dennis Brown - Have You Ever b/w Dub Wise (Power House)
Barry Brown & Rankin Joe - What You Dont Know / Another One Bite The Dust b/w Jah Thomas – Life In Dub (Jah Life)
Roy Rankin & Raymond Naptali – Disc Jockey In A 81 Style b/w Roy Rankin & Raymond Naptali - African Daughter (KG Imperial)
Anthony Johnson - Lost Love (Zugi Zugi Zugi Zem) b/w Roots Radics & Papa Toyan - Dub Plate Style (Black Symbolic)
BMC

Postby Mark T » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Nice one Marc, I'd like a copy of that Barry Brown/Ranking Joe tune, had it on an old Rodigan tape - I haven't been lucky enough to see it anywhere for that price.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby kalcidis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Nice haul BMC. I'm a bit curious about that Bunny Lie Lie LP. From what I recall it's the same as his Bunny Lie Lie in Africa -- Give Me Love (SW&K LP). But the track listing might differ a little. If that's the case I'm curious if this LP also has the same volume problems. I think it's on the song »Come On Youthman« that this is noticeable. A great album!
kalcidis

Postby BMC » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:02 am

Mark T wrote:Nice one Marc, I'd like a copy of that Barry Brown/Ranking Joe tune, had it on an old Rodigan tape - I haven't been lucky enough to see it anywhere for that price.
Mark T

Hi Mark, yeah, that was a good one for the price: €7,50 in EX+ condition. Was from a collection someone inherited, hardly played and untouched for many years. It was auctioned piece by piece on a dutch site, but the seller listed some, like this one, as the b-side with no bids (except mine) as a result.

kalcidis wrote:Nice haul BMC. I'm a bit curious about that Bunny Lie Lie LP. From what I recall it's the same as his Bunny Lie Lie in Africa -- Give Me Love (SW&K LP). But the track listing might differ a little. If that's the case I'm curious if this LP also has the same volume problems. I think it's on the song »Come On Youthman« that this is noticeable. A great album!

From what I have seen it is indeed the same album with just difference in track order, kalcidis. Haven't checked it in detail, will do so this weekend and check for the volume issue. Didn't notice it on first listen, but I played it while doing other stuff so didn't listen with a lot of attention. Loved what I heared though, nice album, Lord Koos production.
BMC

Postby King Timmy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Mikey General - Fresh Again LP in almost mint condition for 2 euros
King Timmy

Postby jps » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm

We Are Getting Bad- Sound of Phase One 2LP (Motion) $12

And I picked up the following LP's in very nice shape but no sleeves for about $30 total

Carlton Livingston- Soweto (El Bebo)
Michael Prophet- Jah Love (Live & Learn)
Jacob Miller- Greatest Hits (Top Ranking International)
Leroy Sibbles - Selections (Leggo Sounds)
jps

Postby shadrach » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 am

Clarance Aird : African/Rude Girl (Live and Love 12")
Michael Prophet : Love and Unity/Fight it to the Top (Island-Grove Music 12")
Scientist: In the Kingdom of Dub (Kingdom LP)
Tribesman: Finsbury Park/Tribe (Boa 12")
Earl Cunningham : No More will I Roam/ Mash up tha Dance (Arawak 12")
Woodrow Noble-Prince Hammer : Reggae a the Best-Strike the Hammer Wild (Baby Mother 12")
Prince Hammer : Them Must Fall - Ball Of Fire (Baby Mother 12")
Rod Taylor: Lonely Girl (King Culture LP)
Pebbles: Positive Vibrations (Arawak 7")
shadrach

Postby Ital Dokta » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 am

Wicked finds there BMC! Got that George Faith LP myself (on Mango) and the Deeper Roots on Virgin.

Went down to the local record fair on a lovely spring day today, this time accompanied by the man Mark T, and managed to score the following:

Misty In Roots - Earth, Wise And Foolish LP's (People Unite), both NM vinyl
Jackie Mittoo - Reggae Magic (Pickwick), Cdn. release from 1980
V/A - Lover's Rock (Freedom Sounds)
Prince Lincoln - Natural Wild 12" (Ballistic/United Artists)
Culture - Cumbolo (High Note)

plus got a copy of Peter Tosh - Legalize It on Columbia thrown in for free, didn't have it on vinyl yet so why not. Pretty good record fair this time, definitely noticed some others checking for reggae (just missed a copy of the Congos - Congo Ashanti on someone's pile ahead of me, grrr :evil:
Ital Dokta

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion