Religion!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Religion!

Postby isis » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 am

With the election of the new pope and the subject on the news media constantly, i was was wondering what religion all the members of this board were raised in and are now?
I was raised a catholic, but am now an agnostic.
Also, are there any atheists, Buddhists or Muslims in da house?

Respects
Last edited by isis on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
isis

Re: Religion!

Postby Donovan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 am

Sometimes I wonder if it's tough to be a Catholic and a reggae fan. Y'know with some of the anti catholic screeds in some songs (Lee Perry, Dezarie, Capleton, I'm looking at you all). I hope it doesn't effect their enjoyment of the music overall.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby j j » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:01 am

personally speaking i'm against religion but it dosen't bother me if others have a religious belief. i've never understood why anyone needs to belong to a particular group to live good & do good.

j j
j j

Postby Marvin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:29 am

Too Much Religion - Jerry Hitler - Rawse 7"
Marvin

Postby asher selector » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 am

Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby isis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:36 pm

It seems to me after recently starting to read the bible again from the start that it is one long celebration of gratuitous violence, mainly committed by god's 'chosen' people or by god himself. Some of the passages for example Deuteronomy 13, 6-12 God tells you to stone to death all non believers, including your mother, son, wife etc. the next passage commands you to murder everyone in your neighbouring town if they worship another god. Very shocking stuff.

The history channel has been showing a new The Bible mini series.
Watch this funny 10 minute review of episodes 1 and 2 to see what I mean. Watch out for the ninja angels sent to protect Lot's family.
Do you think this is really based on a true story.?
http://youtu.be/bUOg5F886xw
isis

Postby charasi-i » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:29 pm

I agree Isis,lots of the old testament stuff is pretty out there especialy Deuteronomy .Seem to remember that it says that you should stone disobedient children to death as well as calling for castration of any man how sows more than one type of seed in one field.
Alakh ! Bam Bam Bholanath ! Bom Shiva !
charasi-i

Postby isis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:44 am

Wow!! It's a window into how harsh life was back then. The contradictions I'm reading in the bible are incredulous. On one page it says 'thou shalt not kill', then on the next page it commands you to kill your children if they disrespect you.

It inspires some great reggae music though.
Here is prince allahs recut to lots wife + lots wife dub 10"
Turn it up and enjoy!
http://youtu.be/awEPU-jgmbU
isis

Postby Donovan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:57 am

isis wrote:The history channel has been showing a new The Bible mini series.
Watch this funny 10 minute review of episodes 1 and 2 to see what I mean. Watch out for the ninja angels sent to protect Lot's family.
Do you think this is really based on a true story.?
http://youtu.be/bUOg5F886xw

Been watching that. It's pretty cool, but yeah, I agree the ninja angel was bizarre. Looking forward to tonight's episode, to see what they do visually with Shadrach Meshech & Abendigo.

And it was awesome that they cast Samson as a dreadlocks in episode 2! I hope the actors real dreads weren't hurt during filming. :D
Donovan

Postby Bob Harding » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Religion = Mental illness
Bob Harding

Postby Mick Sleeper » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:03 am

I am a member of the Church of Sam Cooke. :wink:
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Mark T » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Isis, there's quite a lot of theological work being done about the issues of violence in the OT right now - some vigorous debates. Greg Boyd is supposed to have a book out in the next year but it's going to be 800 pages or so, his website has some clues.
It is incredibly difficult to read those passages accurately without some theological training and a lot of attention paid to historical context. People tend to read modern values back into the text anachronistically. This is basically the bronze age we are talking about which were brutal and bloody times.

Bob, you're comment is pretty harsh and probably offensive to people who do hold a religious faith. A lot of people unthinkingly espouse a view that the word would be better and less violent without religion. They seem to forget the last century where violence committed by atheists/secularists was horrendous and would make the Crusades and the inquisition look like a playground spat.
People also seem to screen out the good done by religious people. In Britain alone we might point to: the abolition of slavery, prison reform, trade unions, care for the poor, care for orphans, hospices for the dying, educational and health reform and on and on...

Mark T
Mark T

Postby capullo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:41 pm

capullo

Postby Mark T » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Even more on topic
http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2012/1 ... ar-part-1/
but this will require several hours of your time and actually thinking :D
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Varese » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Mark T wrote:They seem to forget the last century where violence committed by atheists/secularists was horrendous and would make the Crusades and the inquisition look like a playground spat.

Like the Second World War, started by the Catholic, Adolf Hitler. Or Stalin, brought up and seminary trained as a member of the Russian Orthodox.

*cough*
Varese

Next

Return to General discussion