Forum rules
Please announce your new releases here.

Re: DKR new releases - Jan. 2013

Postby RB » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:33 am

thanks for sharing your thoughts.
RB

Postby jimvibes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 am

waterhouse and brimstone, for goodness sake, give it a rest - there are literally 1000s of killer tunes that remain un-repressed and hard to find, so your prized 'exclusive' gem is now available to others (95% of whom are probably not 'soundmen' but just reggae lovers who like to listen to tune at home), go dig out some more, I think the numbers of people who really care that a certain can't be played anymore at these 'revival dances' must literally be in the 10s-20s - so big up RB, great tunes, respect to the original producers and boo to the rip-off bootleggers.
jimvibes

Postby waterhouserock » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:29 pm

jim, for goodness sake..its not one or two tunes were talking about....no one really minds one or two..were talking about lots of the biggest ones relentlessly for an indefinate ongoing period by companies often with no connection to the music and who glean info from online auctions etc, then go to the artist with the intention of capatalising on their work. many people could have done it long before everything to do with original records moved online to the public eye, but thought it wasnt right, , ..there is an unimaginable amount of music from jamaica but the biggest ones are being systematically targetted and i wouldn't say there is thousands of real killers left.. hence why rb and roots international already wanting to press the same tunes...many people are really not happy for a combination of reasons..obviously youre glad because you dont have these tunes and never invested a large part of your life finding them.personally its not about one tune..im not gonna bother listing them..but its many over previous months.. regardless, theres a few issues that seem wrong in this situation that have outlined previously and i would prefer to see the artists and producers reissue these tunes.
waterhouserock

Postby edgar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:57 pm

waterhouserock wrote:haha yeah yeah...you may joke to cover yourself but this is a serious matter so lets do some basic maths...
cost of pressing approx 1000 7"s - £600 approx
value once sold at £6 each - £6000
throw artist £50 in ja.( wha??? a likkle food money fe dat ol tune, yeah man, me never know man still check fe dem ol tune deh!)
profit £5350 per title (minus distrubution costs and percentage to shops )
multiply by 6 titles a month....£32100 (minus distrubution costs and percentage to shops )
if distrubution and and percentage is as much as 50% thats still £15k a month
or another way £180k per year.
not bad for never producing a tune and running a charity for poverty struck artists.
would buy a mansion and a duck on skis no prob.

Lol. laquer mastering, plating and creating a stamper is already 300/400 bucks, basic color labels another 100 bucks.. per title. And than you get the pressing costs (depending on how many you press. the more the cheaper) 50 to 65 cent each

than there is the mastering engineer who got to be paid, shipping, a store got to earn money, the producer who got to be paid ( not the artist! unless he was the producer at the same time)

And you can buy those dkr repressings for 4 quid at Music and video exchange..

Also you are thinking linear while a market if of course non-linear. Some titles may sell very good, others less. So you might make a loss on one title and earn on another. Per saldo you are still on zero profit that way.

And that jah tubby site is bollocks because it hasn't been updated for 6 or 7 years and is ex VAT
Last edited by edgar on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby grubby mits » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Before I throw in by sixpence worth I'm just want to establish a few credentials. Waterhouserock, you talk like you been a long time soundman, running with Coxsone etc. Just wondered if you'd tell us what sound you run with? Sure I saw you asking for advice about pre amps etc. You been in the game a while?
grubby mits

Postby edgar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm

and ofcourse it's nonsense that vintage soundsystem pieces shouldn't be repressed or better said pressed.
They are not used anymore by those who used them back in the days or the soundsystem doesn't even exist anymore. So what is the point?

The real reason of complaining is that certain people can't make silly money on it anymore by selling it as fake dubplates on ebay. Or selling wav files of it for 50 to 75 quid each.

http://www.popsike.com/BAD-10-DUBPLATE- ... 74971.html

In the case of digikiller at least the original producer makes money on it. And gets credit for his work
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby waterhouserock » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:42 am

you may have seen me asking about new preamps as my knowledge was not current and valued peoples opinions to some of the new builders...i believe that was on another site. we have been replacing some older preamps.
i been collecting music a fairly long time, the sound i run with has been around a little while, since 1976 and has played with coxsone within recent years. :roll:
whats this got to do with anything grubby...???? would you like a cv???
several of the dubplates that have been issued were run by coxsone and shaka, as many people would know. coxsone sound made conquering lion famous.anyone who listened to that famous rodigan show would know that.you would not need to "run" with coxsone sound to know that! why oh why was a coxsone dub. seperation was played by many sounds but famously by shaka as was rocks and mountains.
im not sure whats been going on with ebay justifies mass production from a third party.
as i understood it, a sounds exclusives mix was his property. not the artists, producers or any one elses.
some sounds/ original selectors are still running original dubs and 45 from back in the day.
my opinions are my own. i hear comments from other sounds/selectors/collectors/promotors/musicians/studio owners/people who follow dances/clashes/shop owners.

edcar, thanks for updating pressing costs..it seems my estimates were a little out of date and didnt include VAT.i would have thought the stamper was included in the price ..rerpressing is not something ive been involved in so i am no expert.it was a quick estimate intended to roughly s=show the kinda figures.i would have thought pressing the most wanted tunes is a fairly safe bet they gonna sell ?
gonna drop out of this for now..takes too much time responding to everyone who thinks my opinion is wrong or that i dont have the credentials to have an opinion about represses!!!! ii think it a shame whats going on recently and thats my opinion for the reasons ive stated.qualified or not.
waterhouserock

Postby StepDubStep » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 am

Everyone has a right to their opinion. But the prevailing opinion is to keep these old tunes coming one after the other. I agree with the majority on this one. How long should the debate last? What's the point in going on and on about it?
From a youth reggae inna me bloodstream, now a man reggae inna me system! From a boy reggae was my first joy, now a man reggae still number one!
StepDubStep

Postby marniman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:58 pm

I don't know, but I seriously doubt that Conquering Lion was made with the one purpose to be played on Coxsone's sound. Coxsone's made the tune famous, yes, and I understand that a long time anthem like that being given a wider release could disturb long time followers. It could also reversely be said that the tune did as much for Coxsone's, and that the time spent with it as an exclusive should be savoured instead of seeing it as a monopoly now unrightfully breached. Bearing in mind that the plate is easily recognisable from the DKR release (missing the dubplate style shoutings), I still think Coxsone could and should draw this, tall and proud of their contribution to both soundsystem culture and of making this tune a legend.
marniman

Postby edgar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:31 pm

marniman wrote:. Bearing in mind that the plate is easily recognisable from the DKR release (missing the dubplate style shoutings).

I have (like quite a few people) a very clear full recording of the plate (some crackle here and there) since 2010, with no shouting or soundsystem effects or whatever. ...
Last edited by edgar on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edgar

Postby Brimstone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Jimvibes, you are asking me to give it a rest?
Well... There's no sleep till Brooklyn!
LOL
Brimstone

Postby flashman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:59 am

The clip of Conquering Lion sounds pretty rough. Is it just the clip or was the source in bad shape? Such a killer tune I'm glad for it anyway, but just wanted clarification if possible. Or maybe it's just me? Seems like the Naggo Morris sounds cleaner.
flashman

Postby RB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

sound quality is not ideal, as it was mastered from an almost 40 year old dubplate. we did our best with it considering. that said i still think it knocks and is enjoyable to listen to, or i wouldn't have released it. realize of course some others might disagree, but that's life. hope you can check it out and enjoy it.
RB

Postby oldsko0l » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:09 pm

RB, I think you've adapted the history about these tunes on your site? It says now that king tubby voiced & mixed them? (maybe it was already like this but didn't see it it at first)
does this mean that he sang it? Or what does voicing mean?
oldsko0l

Postby RB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:29 pm

yes, i added that part b/c Jazzbo wanted to make sure people knew it was voiced and mixed by Tubby's himself, and we didn't have that in the original write-up.
when i say "voiced" i mean he was the engineer who recorded the vocals, not the singer. the singer is a ras named Blue who was the lead in the Invaders.
RB

PreviousNext

Return to New Release Announcements