BAD BRAINS?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: BAD BRAINS?

Postby jb welda » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 pm

>Jb, why are so sure they are not Rastafarians?

lets just say i had and have some inside insights and leave it at that, OK? of course most artists dither some from the line of rastafari, as a matter of reality, but these guys strayed far from the line. that said, i dont recall any of them actually claiming to be a rasta but i dont keep up with them that close to really know. i just dont recall ever hearing anything by them i liked and what i didnt loathe was pretty generic american "reggae" with some noise thrown in for good measure. oh yeah and batshit crazy too.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby AT2JA » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:15 pm

OK fair enough. Personally I dig these guys but agree the reggae stuff is simply atmospheric compared to the more punk stuff.
AT2JA

Postby Andy G » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 am

Andy G

Postby JT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 am

A photo well posted, Andy.

Somewhere earlier in this thread someone was questioning the Rastafarian authenticity of The Brains. This photo doesn't necessarily answer that question but surely it does verify some sort of credentials for Ms. Shields.
JT

Postby underated » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:25 pm

AT2JA wrote:
Something this board probably has never discussed...how do you find these Rasta - Punks and their mix of hardcore and reggae?

Organized Chaos,
That's the best description I have ever heard about this group.
At the time i never really checked them out, many years later i appreciate their works.
The whole Black Rock movement was getting a hard time & groups like Bad Brains have helped to burn a lot of peoples illusions & stereotypical thoughts as regards to music.

Rasta only listen to reggae,
Rasta only play reggae..........hahaha.

I like the idea of their stage show, play some lively tunes, then if the crowd gets too wild, chill them down with some Dub.

I & I Survive is a lovely track.

http://youtu.be/PdDuIaamVQs
underated

Postby seb_carayol » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 pm

I have always been a fan of early Bad Brains --yet could never, ever, get myself to listen to their reggae tunes for more than 20 seconds -even back when my regimen consisted on slightly more hardcore punk than it does today!
Pure raw energy, and a positive message that planted the seed I think for later musical genres (wink), whether or not HR ended up respecting his PMA line of conduct or not.
Top tunes IMO : Attitude, Sailing On, Don't Bother Me, Don't Blow Bubbles (even though after their second/third album I couldn't quite stand the heavy-metal thing in their music). Where the first tape, and/or their Omega Sessions albums... WOW.
-Seb Carayol
www.reelheavy.wordpress.com
seb_carayol

Postby jb welda » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:17 am

andy and jt: stoner chicks rule.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby CassavaOuternational » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:54 pm

longtime bad brains fan here, grew up listening to hardcore and punk and bad brains were one of the best. if you've seen the documentary American Hardcore they are clearly better musicians than all the other bands, really it's not fair as they were fusion musicians that started playing hardcore and the other bands were just learning their instruments.

bad brains turned me on to reggae, and i got into the solo HR records too, those were all reggae except for some hardcore tunes on the first ones (on Olive Tree). i would rate the first three Bad Brains records as great (ROIR cassette, Rock For Light and I Against I). i still give HR Charge a listen every now and then, it's an all reggae record and the one with the best production/full horns. HR also did a split LP with Ras Michael, so i have to credit him with turning me on to Ras Michael as well (and his brother Earl, the Bad Brains drummer who also plays drums on all the HR stuff).

re: their Rastafarianism, i think HR aligned himself with the 12 Tribes Rastas, he mentions 12 tribes and Gad in lyrics

like Ryan Moore, i'm honored to have a dub release on ROIR b/c of Bad Brains
CassavaOuternational

Postby AT2JA » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:07 pm

CassavaOuternational wrote:longtime bad brains fan here, grew up listening to hardcore and punk and bad brains were one of the best. if you've seen the documentary American Hardcore they are clearly better musicians than all the other bands, really it's not fair as they were fusion musicians that started playing hardcore and the other bands were just learning their instruments.

bad brains turned me on to reggae, and i got into the solo HR records too, those were all reggae except for some hardcore tunes on the first ones (on Olive Tree). i would rate the first three Bad Brains records as great (ROIR cassette, Rock For Light and I Against I). i still give HR Charge a listen every now and then, it's an all reggae record and the one with the best production/full horns. HR also did a split LP with Ras Michael, so i have to credit him with turning me on to Ras Michael as well (and his brother Earl, the Bad Brains drummer who also plays drums on all the HR stuff).

re: their Rastafarianism, i think HR aligned himself with the 12 Tribes Rastas, he mentions 12 tribes and Gad in lyrics

like Ryan Moore, i'm honored to have a dub release on ROIR b/c of Bad Brains

What release is that ? I love ROIR, great label! In fact have one of their hoodies on right now!
AT2JA

Postby Andy G » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Phase sound selector! Thx for that one back in the-just after the exclusive cassette only - period of ROIR.
Andy G

Postby CassavaOuternational » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:58 pm

you're welcome, thanks for listening!
CassavaOuternational

Postby idubnewyork » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:08 am

comparing the bad brains to "real reggae" music in of itself is not really fair sice they were a punk band first and foremost that took forays into reggae out of love for the music.
I think viewed from that angle they are kings.
of course I am biased as this was the music of my youth and got to see them at their peak at CBGB's tearing it up like no one else's business.
i still love all of their output up to I against I after that they kinds fell of for me and went a bit too metal.
That said I have nothing but love for the bad brains
also I and I survive is a great track regardless of their punk affiliation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDuIaamVQs
idubnewyork

Postby AT2JA » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Andy G wrote:Phase sound selector! Thx for that one back in the-just after the exclusive cassette only - period of ROIR.

Respect! Not in print anymore tho, correct?
AT2JA

Postby CassavaOuternational » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:04 pm

i think it's always been available direct from ROIR, and they did a vinyl pressing later on. they used to have Prince Far I 'Cry Tuff Dub Encounter Chapter 1' in the cassette days, along with Ras Michael 'Rastafari Dub' – those were two of our favorites! they have the Ras Michael on CD/vinyl now
CassavaOuternational

Postby AT2JA » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Came across this for the uninitiated...not much to complain about here if you ask my sensibilities....reggae included (hey it ain´t Yabby You but still heartfelt)..... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZotWsKfPwA
AT2JA

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion