Moderator: B&F Moderator

Forum rules
Please announce your new releases here.

DKR & Bond Export new releases - September 2012

Postby RB » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:42 pm

announced now.

www.digikillerrecords.com
www.bondexport.com

check em out, and thanks for all the support!
RB

Re: DKR & Bond Export new releases - September 2012

Postby ephteeay » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Doesn't Youthman sound like Madoo?

(love the Reality tune btw..)
ephteeay

Postby RB » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:21 pm

i do agree that the voice sounds a bit different between the two tunes, and yeah it's definitely Madooish. the tape however said only horace ferguson and the song was in between other HF tracks, so...but of course, much stranger things have happened in reggae.
RB

Postby Brimstone » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:00 pm

The Youthman tune is definitely Madoo.
Am supposed to have that on an old acetate somewhere.
P.S. Horace will be pleased to know...
Brimstone

Postby RB » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:20 pm

we are in touch w/ Madoo actually, he was aware of "lose respect" when we released it, and i spoke to him and gave him promo copies. if he confirms it is him we will sticker over the labels. not in the business of not giving credit where it is due.
RB

Postby RB » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:21 pm

thanks for the input guys.

now, someone ID the female roots track!

we've had that one for 2 years and played it for everyone and no one can place it...
RB

Postby Brimstone » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:52 am

Ok RB, so you spoke to Madoo which is fine but not that big a deal.
What i am saying is that if you call yourself Deeper Knowledge then one would expect one's knowledge to be truly deep!
Or it just seems like a 'fashion thing' with an abundance of titles accompanied with some misinformation, as i am hearing through the grapevine.
Like GB distribution states on their Two Friends custom 7 inch sleeves " deeper knowledge for the fans who were there" which equates to those who truly know.
Which also means that you will be 'corrected' if errors are evident. Do not take it personal, just expressing passion.
Btw, the female vocal could be a very young Paula Clarke or even Stephanie Samuels!
Bless
Brimstone

Postby james19 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 am

Definitely not Paula Clarke or Stephanie Samuels on 'Hey Natty Dread'. I have heard that voice before and am pretty sure I have something in my collection by this artist. Will have a rummage and see if I can dig it out.

On a side note, all the unreleased stuff is great, but 'Hey Natty Dread' is very special indeed!
james19

Postby Brimstone » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 am

Yes James, the voice does sound familiar but a known vocalist in her very early career stage.
Brimstone

Postby oldsko0l » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:50 am

Hej RB,
You just made my day!
Thanks
oldsko0l

Postby RB » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:14 pm

as i have explained before, the name 'Deeper Knowledge' is not a self-congratulation. it refers to the idea that re-releasing these kind of records (and prev. unrel. records) promotes a deeper knowledge of reggae music, beyond just the widely already recognized canon of 'classics.' the idea is that the stuff we are releasing is only 'obscure' due to it's lengthy unavailability, and that much of it is every bit as classic as the likes of the long-standing canon of Dennis, Gregory, etc., much of which has been kept available for decades and thus more accessible. for me it's a great thing when 'obscure' tunes can go beyond being just the provenance of long time record collectors and be appreciated by a wider audience, who again, may only be unfamiliar due to unavailability. you can agree or disagree with this, but this is what the name means to me.

if you would like to judge our knowledge as 'not truly deep' because we couldn't quite trainspot a voice and relied on a tape box to provide us with info (though they are often incaccurate, haha!), then so be it, we're not looking a trophy or anything.

not sure where you live but in no place that i inhabit is releasing obscure reggae records a 'fashionable' thing. sorry to disappoint. as for the 'misinformation' and 'grapevine', all conspiracy theories can continue, not even going to go there.
there is an abundance of tunes b/c there is an abundance of great music that needs to be (re)released.

as for GB's sleeves, i have a lot of respect for what they do, and surely they were (attempting to) take the **** out of us with their sleeves, but i'm not quite sure "the fans who were there" are those who need and/or want a reissue 7"?
in any case i am not interested in a "who was here longer" **** measuring contest with anyone.

nuff respect to the veterans sameway, and of course, we welcome corrections to errors!

this was my point in saying that i can talk to Madoo, that i will go to the source and attempt verification.

as for the female vocal - definitely not Stephanie Samuels, she went to America in the late 70s right after recording 'africa...', hence why they only made one song with her. they wanted to do more. not Paula either, George Nicholson's sessions with her that made up her first LP were her first recordings. regardless of those facts though, i don't hear either of them in that tune...

anyway, i think that about covers everything, and respect for your feedback
Last edited by RB on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB

Postby kalcidis » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Interesting enough I sought out this thread just to post that Youthman rather likely was Maddo. GREAT song.
kalcidis

Postby flashman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:37 pm

Misinformation on a reggae record label?! What's the world coming to? Veterans would never have let such a thing happen, I'm sure. ;-) I think all releases should have at least one factual error for the sake of authenticity.
flashman

Postby edgar » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Hey natty dread sounds like a very young beenie man to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJFHiiSUFzk
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby james19 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:58 pm

edgar wrote:Hey natty dread sounds like a very young beenie man to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJFHiiSUFzk

Not really a "singer" is our Beenie. Plus I couldn't imagine, not in a thousand years, him singing about a man that he loved. :lol:
james19

Next

Return to New Release Announcements