HOW TO PRODUCE OLD SKOOL TUNES? (vintage style)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: HOW TO PRODUCE OLD SKOOL TUNES? (vintage style)

Postby lee mac » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Deveating from the digi era briefly. I have always used cubase from atari days lol. To pc. Been well out of it for a while but still have a play with cubase sx. Which is a great all rounder. Record to tape then master for trad roots.

Just wondering if there is any new software that is simple to use and a good all rounder for recording/capturing live and arranging midi/soundbanks.

T.I.A :D
lee mac

Postby Roman » Fri May 20, 2011 10:14 am

Americans doing dub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lrxrqTZT00

Bad or rubbish? What do ya think?
Roman

Postby DC » Fri May 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Well if it's about old school... that definatly isn't. He's working sample/loop based and ofcourse quite simple like that. I've done live shows like that already 10 years back with sequencers. Imho anyone using loops is basicly doing the same as way back with tape slicing. To me that's not making music.
http://www.facebook.com/dubcreator
http://www.dubcreator.com for Dubplatesamplers
DC on Itunes, Juno, Rhapsody, spotify, Amazon.
DC Dubplate Downloads @ RMS
DC

Postby Roman » Sat May 21, 2011 2:53 am

DC wrote:Imho anyone using loops is basicly doing the same as way back with tape slicing. To me that's not making music.

It has taken almost ten years for me to realize that music was more than samples and loops :(
Roman

Postby Jack Johnson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:42 pm

loving this thread, great advice here from dougie and co, thanks you lot, very generous with your info!...i just picked up an akai mpc 3000 having realised many of my favourite 90's tunes of all genres were made on it.. i was wondering, about the yamaha dx100 that seems so popular now.. am i right in thinking that the dx100 can't do anything more (individual sounds wise) than the more powerful dx7 and dx11 (i know the dx27 is a dx100 with big keys and the dx21 is a little better than both...but does the dx100 have a unique sound the others don't?) i suspect that the dx7 blows all the others out the water, and they seem to go for £150 these days. while the much more basic dx100 is pushing those prices due to cult popularity! (i guess?) It seems to me that they all have that thin sound mentioned as in the chords of gussie carke etc 80's tunes (which i love..) is there any reason why the dx100 and not the others? still trying to find a cs-01 too, i think this thread might have doubled their price on ebay haha!! Got a novation bass station for b lines in the mean time...seems a simple and reliable choice with nice analogue sounds..anyway thanks for the inspiring thread, it gave me a little push when i needed it!
Jack Johnson

Postby Jack Johnson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 pm

just realised i am digging this thread up from the grave! :D anyway, back on topic now...this is the best thread i've found on here for years!
Jack Johnson

Postby message_music » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:10 pm

hi iv jus recently jus started fooling around with reason and ableton live, but i cant get bass to sound how i want it to. . . . can anyone give me some advice ?
message_music

Postby djmush1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Yes I never get tired of this thread (!)

Most of the music listed in the very 1st post here was not made with the most hi tech or expensive instruments. As stated b4 in the thread in different ways, you can seriously get a little casio keyboard from a toy store (a la the CS-01), but if you run it through King Jammys or King Tubbys signal chain, of course its going to sound dope ; Tubbys mixing console and pre amps, all his outboard gear, and his tape machine. Its hard for any instrument (yes, even Reason) to go through all that and NOT sound good ! And yes, Sly and Robbie or mafia and fluxy playing the bass lines and drum parts is probably going to sound better than a pre programmed Reason loop- !
djmush1

Postby message_music » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:19 am

im not trying to hard to sound like productions from the 80s i jjust want to be able to get a nice thick dubby bassline out of reason or ableton. there must be something i can do to help ?
message_music

Postby Roman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 am

message_music: Did you try the hahaha cs01 plugin? It's free and you can tweak your own bass sound on it. But honestly I don't know if hahaha CS01 is compatible with reason/ableton or not because I've never used any of these programs.

This one is a bit expensive but it also works well:

Roman

Postby Roman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Roman

Postby LionYouthsMusic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Roman wrote:
DC wrote:Imho anyone using loops is basicly doing the same as way back with tape slicing. To me that's not making music.

It has taken almost ten years for me to realize that music was more than samples and loops :(

And now you´re dealing with UK-roots that´s free from samples and loops, just recording live drums from beginning til end :D
LionYouthsMusic

Postby Roman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 am

LionYouthsMusic: I din't say I record live drums from beginning till end

Sometimes I want my programmed drums to sound more live-like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEFsetSF ... playnext=1

and sometimes I don't :)
Roman

Postby StepDubStep » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:46 am

Roman wrote:the hahaha cs01 in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Y_HHTM ... ature=plcp

Yo! Big UP!!! Tuff!!!
From a youth reggae inna me bloodstream, now a man reggae inna me system! From a boy reggae was my first joy, now a man reggae still number one!
StepDubStep

Postby Roman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Thank you )
Roman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion