Vinyl addiction

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby DubOrganic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:56 pm

Music is my anti - depressant of choice
Better than most addictions.

:)
DubOrganic

Re: Vinyl addiction

Postby capullo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm

i soon will be smokefree for 5 years but still no sign of being able to control my vinyl addiction. is there any hope/cure? probably not.
capullo

Postby ephteeay » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Recently been listening to music other than Reggae for the first time in 17 years (yeah, I couldnt see that coming either).. at first I thought I'd be satisfied with CDs (At first I really only wanted to listen to the music.. I was not bothered by the format).. I thought I was cured! ...I then started LP compilations of singles.. and eventually (unfortunately) the 'collector' part of me wanted the original release and here I am again, behaving like a reggae collector with other kinds of music.. As long as we are addicted to music, I think we'll always choose records over other formats
ephteeay

Postby marmalade » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:29 pm

i've spent over £600 in the last 6 weeks or so on reggae vinyl. Having a wee splurge as i'm just getting back into buying it again. As long as i can afford it, and as someone else said am taking care of business (bills, Xmas pressies for the weans/missus etc) then it's not an 'addiction' as far as i'm concerned . . . just an expensive hobby :lol:

yes it gives me a buzz, but long as it's not to the exclusion of everything else...

photo.jpg
photo.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
marmalade

Postby Mark T » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:21 pm

I always know I'm in a low spot,feeling depressed etc when the thought of buying a new record doesn't cheer me up!

Compared to friends hobbies like skiing, motorcycles, cars etc buying records is a very cheap hobby :D

As I speak I know I'm getting 7 new vinyl albums for Xmas!! So I'm happy. It'll be strictly headphone listening though with the outlaws being in town.

Mark T
Mark T

Postby capullo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:55 pm

by Mark T » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:21 pm

I always know I'm in a low spot,feeling depressed etc when the thought of buying a new record doesn't cheer me up!

Compared to friends hobbies like skiing, motorcycles, cars etc buying records is a very cheap hobby

As I speak I know I'm getting 7 new vinyl albums for Xmas!! So I'm happy. It'll be strictly headphone listening though with the outlaws being in town.

Mark T

"as i speak, 7 new albums"... :D
capullo

Postby Baba Jonah » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:27 am

Yeh man its something else collecting records, crack is for losers. . .serious. Although its sometimes frustrating having to choose between all the new releases when say, 10 come out and I want them all, but thats good discipline and it makes me appreciate the tunes I do buy, plus I get to go through a distillation of the ten down to the top 3 out o the ten, I'm there for hours sometimes, choosing, listening, and enjoying the vibes. It sounds crazy when I just read that back to myself, but I've had some great times in record shops, met great people and of course shared good vibes from wicked tunes. I will continue to go to record shops with no apology!!
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby Disorda » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Can't help myself, been collecting reggae since the late 80's. Had a few dips in my spending but not much, i just love vinyl and playing it out, especially Reggae. Can't stop won't stop. Well, until i pop.
Disorda

Postby Mark T » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:03 am

Yes Capullo - 7 new albums is something to look forward to - however, my addiction is such that I'm already thinking about what I'll buy after!!! :D
Mark T

Postby Uncle Chig E » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:56 am

Just before I got online, I was checking my bike as I'm catching the ferry to go to Seattle as I was craving new vinyl. There's a couple of music stores within riding distance of the boat. The money I save on ferry fare and parking I can spend on vinyl. Addicts have to save money where they can.
Uncle Chig E

Postby mace » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18 am

Mark T wrote:Yes Capullo - 7 new albums is something to look forward to - however, my addiction is such that I'm already thinking about what I'll buy after!!! :D

haha same here....when i think about it i have the biggest enjoyment waiting for mr postman to come.
as soon as i got a new record, i play it few times and put it in the box afterwards...thats the time i'm ready for a new injection :D

but a while after its still always a pleasure to find tunes in my box i totally forgot about, cause i simply bought em to own and didn't play them often in the first place.
facebook.com/mace.phonomathic
soundcloud.com/phonomathic

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Digital-Alliance/138802099469053
mace

Postby Chubbz71 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:13 am

Been collecting music for pretty much 30years and have no intention to give up. Its no longer an addiction now just a part of my life, its what I do and am, I collect music. There is no limit to how many you can have but you can harvest them instead of having rooms full.Its surprising how every couple of years you can go through the racks pull out a few hundred quids worth of music to put on ebay and then....buy more! :evil:

The worst I got was about 3 years ago when so much vinyl was coming through the door I saw that I had ordered the same record 4 times from 2 vendors, shameful.

Keep buying people, its on our heads if vinyl dies.

chubbz71
Chubbz71

Postby Roman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:50 pm

I wonder if u guys are still interested in... Let's say... Women... ?
Roman

Postby FitZ » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 am

Vinyl is for life, nothing will cure....but regarding reggae addiction, I found Jazz & Soul from the 70's to be quite a good replacement product in term of addiction...lovely labels, lots of creativity and some really wicked productions... :mrgreen:
Gangunguru Hi-Fi since 1998
FitZ

Postby riddleithis » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Roman wrote:I wonder if u guys are still interested in... Let's say... Women... ?

Roman, does this sorta half-answer your question?

:P :P :P
riddleithis

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion