Journey To Jah - the movie - Gentleman and Alborosie

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Journey To Jah - the movie - Gentleman and Alborosie

Postby KingSimeonSound » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:45 am

To be honest, it is a Directors/Executives prerogative to never publicly admit wrong-doing during the process(Filming). As soon as you communicate on that level, your position as Director is under threat.

So, I hope that the result of this is a little PR lesson and a change to the wording... and an awareness of the implications of using such an angle, if indeed it was legit.

Honorable stuff all round!
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby crazeebo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Varese wrote:I concur; I apologise if I seemed more aggressive than I meant to be, but the lack of comprehension from our Swiss friend about why the synopsis might be offensive somewhat annoyed me!

apology taken! and im glad this is taking a change in course really, unfortunately i have not that much time to be on here, but i'll try and take your inputs and we'll prolly change the bloody synopsis!
what i did was reading the german synopsis this morning and that made sense even tho there is a a little racist undertone to it as well. the translation of this entry phrase into english indeed doesnt mean the same thing in english...in general it should mean: in times were islam is scapegoated for being dangerous

still my friends, i dont exactly see the racist undertone.give me a hint pls.....is it deeply troubled? is it the danger? both? we (more our media) discuss things like that without saying be very aware of a danger, but rather by discussing it we make aware of other religions....my muslim friends eg.made a statement for the 10th anniversary of 9/11 that to this day islam is being scapegoated for being dangerous
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:55 pm

KingSimeonSound wrote:To be honest, it is a Directors/Executives prerogative to never publicly admit wrong-doing during the process(Filming). As soon as you communicate on that level, your position as Director is under threat.

So, I hope that the result of this is a little PR lesson and a change to the wording... and an awareness of the implications of using such an angle, if indeed it was legit.

Honorable stuff all round!

ha! im glad im not the director, there is truth to your statement! but not for my persona...im on here to read your comments on our movie and i didnt dream abt having such a long thread, this is GOOD!
the PR lesson is learned, i dont know yet if we can change it swiftly

by the way there is a couple of backers from qatar, they didnt get offended. and I dont want to offend muslims
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:59 pm

KingSimeonSound wrote:I did like the story insight of Terry Lynn, she came over as confident and with enough to say, on a reality tip. I'm intrigued to know what narrative(s) are going to be worked out, since there seem a good few people/characters involved, or whether a more chronological structure will be employed.... for the time being it looks good.

terry is the most powerful talker of them all! im glad we have her in, she's the streetlevel personality
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Mark T wrote:It's always interesting that while (I'm assuming) white people get uptight about other white people speaking patois etc the Jamaicans seem to love it. As imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I would guess they love it when other people love their culture.
Mark T

probably true, this will hopefully be shown in JA!
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Rootsman wrote:Isn't this film just a re-run of the usual promote the white artists rather than the black ones? Naturally the answer back will be that we are featuring Luciano and the black girl too....

erm yeah the answer back is 'yes' but understand, terry lynn chooses to work with a swiss producer for example. prof.caroline cooper is a unique original JA 60+lady that teaches (wrong word) dancehallculture on universities worldwide!
what would jamaican music be without white fans all over the world? luciano is touring japan at the moment, i dont have to tell you that, if asked wether he likes japan, he will surely tell you yes, very much so

our point is we love jamaica and are honoured to be accepted into its culture. and the culture of jamaica is much more than jah/spliffs/bassmusic and is a vital seed in regenerating european music for example
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:16 pm

her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolyn_Cooper

she lectures not only in very secure university surrondings but also at musicfestivals...1 bad granny 8)
crazeebo

Postby brigadierjc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:48 pm

crazeebo wrote:her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolyn_Cooper

she lectures not only in very secure university surrondings but also at musicfestivals...1 bad granny 8)

She wrote an academic journal called "Punany Powa"? WOW! :)
brigadierjc

Postby Rootsman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Last edited by Rootsman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gal alone tek off my underpants
http://www.johnbolloten.co.uk
Rootsman

Postby Mick Fitz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:39 am

Rootsman always did like to have the last word....best to just leave him to argue with himself cause in the words of vic and bob he would `never let it lie`

So what if two white misguided rich europeans are involved in a film that shows them to be what they are....wont be the first misguided white europeans that claim to be of a way of life that doesnt fit with their background
Mick Fitz

Postby vital ital » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:51 am

maybe all you haters of white people like ALBO and GENTELMAN that front JA dialect should just go down to your local haiku club and just kick up some rumpus.

v.i.
Bashment girl nah come cheap.
vital ital

Postby Varese » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:36 am

But no-one at my local Haiku club either pretends to be Japanese, puts on a Japanese accent or uses Japanese words or phrases where there is a pre-existing English alternative! Aside from that, none of us hate white people, and none of us hate Alborosie or Gentleman. We're solely pointing out that the synopsis was badly written and that the idea for the film could be flawed unless handled well.

Apart from that, great contribution, Vital! :roll:
Varese

Postby vital ital » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:26 pm

But still, they hyping like they can walk the haiku walk and talk the haiku talk! When its a known fact that English written Haiku is way more lame than Japanese Haiku, but people still do it.
Was trying to flip the topic onto the lighter side of things (no pun intended!!!).

Peace.

v.i.
Bashment girl nah come cheap.
vital ital

Postby dougie conscious » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:15 pm

to me the video looks good dont really care about the fake ja acents allthough albo been living in ja for years{the lingo must have rubbed off}
what concerns me is that get any recognition both artists had to go to ja and record play live then get come back to euroland as reggae stars,
dougie conscious

Postby KingSimeonSound » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Boom...! Spot on Dougie. So it appears that the story, regardless of the doc, is in fact about the idea of authentification. Which involves ideas of identity on a personal but also a cultural level. Seems like that is the way it is, but a good topic/point for thought, since it doesn't make all that much sense in musical terms.

Suggests how much music is about identity as well as an audiable pleasure! Hehe, i didn't think i'd ever describe it as that. It does all tie in with fetishisation... but it doesn't have to go down to word/description when Dougie put it so well already!
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion