Journey To Jah - the movie - Gentleman and Alborosie

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Journey To Jah - the movie - Gentleman and Alborosie

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Varese wrote:I'm vaguely offended that the producer of a film can't be bothered to read his own synopsis, but given the subject of your film I'm becoming more convinced that thinking isn't your strong point, despite the rather nice cinematography. What is written in the synopsis comes across as offensive whether or not the reader is Muslim. You might want to consider a rewrite, once you've finished examining your cultural identity.

since im not looking for input into our project but rather a discussion on our subject....i leave you at your last comment
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm

im swiss.the directors are swiss and german. the protagonists are german and sicillian. in the final edit theres maybe 3-5 native jamaicans of all backgrounds. one common thing for all of us is the love for reggae!music crosses cultural/religious/age-specific and social borders...
crazeebo

Postby addubba » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:01 pm

albo has more right to pose like bob than boasting of bringing sicilian style... please...
addubba

Postby KingSimeonSound » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 am

There is no right at all, it isn't about being one or the other, why on earth would it be? It was just an observation, without any weight, i just think it is something quite noticeable. I've mentioned a postmodern observation of a proportion of Roots in particular as being about a fetishization, and this in some ways is more of what i am observing.

I did like the story insight of Terry Lynn, she came over as confident and with enough to say, on a reality tip. I'm intrigued to know what narrative(s) are going to be worked out, since there seem a good few people/characters involved, or whether a more chronological structure will be employed.... for the time being it looks good.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby Mark T » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:51 am

It's always interesting that while (I'm assuming) white people get uptight about other white people speaking patois etc the Jamaicans seem to love it. As imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I would guess they love it when other people love their culture.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Varese » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:11 am

crazeebo wrote:since im not looking for input into our project but rather a discussion on our subject....i leave you at your last comment

You're again missing the point. I neither wish nor want to have any input into your project. I'm merely pointing out that your synopsis make you come across like an arsebiscuit member of the UDC. If casual Islamophobia is your intent, then feel free to ignore me. Personally I'd change the synopsis- as it is badly-written and in terrible English you might want to employ the services of someone who can actually speak the language. Maybe they can point out to you how offensive that line reads at the same time.

Anyway- nice cinematography, rubbish project. If you want to see an interesting, cliche-free doc on music, may I suggest 'Kanzeon'? No talking heads, intelligent subject and , again, wonderful cinematography. Nothing really to do with reggae, though the focus of the film is meditation and music's power to alter perceived reality. The producers made it without insulting the beliefs of several billion people or begging for a fortune from other rich, European people on message boards too!

http://www.kanzeonthemovie.com/
Varese

Postby Rootsman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:44 am

Last edited by Rootsman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gal alone tek off my underpants
http://www.johnbolloten.co.uk
Rootsman

Postby Rootsman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 am

Last edited by Rootsman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rootsman

Postby capullo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:49 am

In our deeply troubled times in which the danger of the Islam is discussed, the catholic Church loses its influence on youth and integration becomes an ever more intriguing topic

maybe there is some misunderstanding with this sentence? IMO this sentence means - in other words - in our deeply troubled times in which right wing parties are getting stronger all over europe (france, le pen, england national front, austria, fpö, switzerland svp, netherlands vlams belang etc, etc) by spreading fear and making the people believe islam is the new danger (after comunism is no more a topic), the catholic church has it's pedophile scandals and lose a lot of their moral authority, integration is a big topic as there has never been so many people moving all around the globe. i guess some people read this sentence as if the writer was the one believing in the some danger of islam. if this is the case, it might be wise to change it in a way no more false interpretation is possible.
Last edited by capullo on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
capullo

Postby Rootsman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:51 am

Last edited by Rootsman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rootsman

Postby brigadierjc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 am

As I said on page 2:
I think they mean "the danger of Islam being discussed" as a sign of how troubled times are.

Maybe you guys are misinterpreting it?
brigadierjc

Postby asher selector » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:48 am

Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby KingSimeonSound » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 am

I think the point has been made, that it is a rather clumsy statement to include in a synopsis.... though I couldn't find it when I looked.... so that might be something.

Also, although very good points have been made in criticism, calling up 'rich white kid' argument comes over like your angry and is actually a sweeping and prejudicial comment which is of no help at all. It's just a film... it doesn't have to be made YOUR way, (that goes for everyone who says what it should/could be about).

Fair play, I agree the end of the 90's is one of the best periods, and enough people are out there to tell the story. But this one is already in production and shouldn't have so much animosity held against it. As has been mentioned, the synopsis is not in the best English, you could be critical of that alone in qualitative values, but it is a worthy project and one I still look forward to seeing in the future. It's great to be able to have dialogue about the whole thing, to pull up a guy over a problem with it... that is important and it's good that the point has been made... hopefully that will have made a difference in re-writing the synopsis.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby Varese » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:30 am

I concur; I apologise if I seemed more aggressive than I meant to be, but the lack of comprehension from our Swiss friend about why the synopsis might be offensive somewhat annoyed me!
Varese

Postby John Eden » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 am

brigadierjc wrote:As I said on page 2:
I think they mean "the danger of Islam being discussed" as a sign of how troubled times are.

Maybe you guys are misinterpreting it?

I think the point is that the sentence is either easy to misinterpret or discriminatory. Neither of which is good.
John Eden

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion