Journey To Jah - the movie - Gentleman and Alborosie

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Journey To Jah - the movie - Gentleman and Alborosie

Postby Rootsman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:59 am

Last edited by Rootsman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gal alone tek off my underpants
http://www.johnbolloten.co.uk
Rootsman

Postby capullo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:07 am

loads of people talk with the accent of the area they were brought up in - London, Leeds...whatever

you seem to forget that alborosie has not been brought up with any english accent but italian. he still has a fair italian accent when he speaks. living there, why shouldn't he pick up the local accent? believe it or not, i've met jamaican which have picked up a british or an american accent. are they talking fake english or american then? i've learned english in south london (beckenham). have i a fake english accent then or am i supposed to keep a swiss accent even though i was living in england? what is a non-fake english accent for a non-native english speaker?
capullo

Postby brigadierjc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 am

capullo wrote:i've learned english in south london (beckenham). have i a fake english accent then or am i supposed to keep a swiss accent even though i was living in england? what is a non-fake english accent for a non-native english speaker?

Yes. I learnt English when I arrived in Ireland (from France), and any Irish person on this board will tell you I have some sort of Irish accent.

Rootsman wrote:"the danger of Islam", no further comment necessary :roll:

I think they mean "the danger of Islam being discussed" as a sign of how troubled times are. But yeah, weird.
brigadierjc

Postby KingSimeonSound » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 am

"you don't need to put on an italian accent to cook pizza"

Hehe. I don't think the issue of accent is really much of a subject as much as a good few other things suggested in the clip. Identity is the major one that hits you, as mentioned b4, 'repatriation'... etc.

I've lost a lot of the accent i grew up with when i moved away from home. My sister now has an Irish accent since she's lived in Ireland for the past 15yrs. I spoke Kiswahili in Tanzania with an Uluguru intination, since i lived in that mountain region. That really isn't much of issue regarding this doc; what is, is an issue of identity, and the way the music has touched further and it's come back full circle, European singers being a part of the movement in JA and how this effects the music and updates it.

What struck me a lot was the way Alborosie seemed to use a lot of manorisms, even how he sat and the speech he used was more in line with someone who took a lot from Bob. Add to that some casual comments on bigger issues, but without suggesting anything more....

anyway, I am keen to watch more, so will be interested to see it completed, the production values are spot on, comfortably the best presented footage filmed so far in JA.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:46 am

hello blood and fire...i'm the sound designer/engineer of journey to jah and i'm happy and willing to do the online promotion for our crowd funding...and answer your questions.

in this thread we the producers, witness for the first time, a healthy debate on the movie. believe me, everywhere else we post about it, its pure love...i thank your for that! at the same time everything that has been said in here is exactly what we would like to hear after seeing our trailer! these are the cornerstones:language/cultural identification/religion and most dominantly MUSIC!

on language: i have a b-boy hiphop background...what would hiphop (the trueschhol) be without the talk, without the walk? i use some of that talk in my everyday live even tho I'm 45 years old, i wear sneakers and will always listen to a good rap record, no matter what age...i live my cultural identity as authentically as possible. and I'm no artist that uses his VOICE to express himself. i have a lot of respect for singers; they will express themselves not only with their voice and accent but also with their words......and i want them to be authentical!! point taken, i found it akward too that they talk this patois thing to the fullest, but thats what this movie is about!

id like to hear your comments on caroline cooper and terry lynn (yeah the singer that has a name like another singer) our female protagonists...

we'll be posting some mood snippets and more photos soon. and don't forget, the movie is not finished yet! we need to get these 60'000 dollars on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/132 ... h-the-film to actually finalize it!!! and if we would be rich we wouldn't have a kickstarter project....we'd finance the bloody thing. so every donation is helpful....

sorry 7am...need to shower, a have a 12hour working day in front of me. will be taking answers tomorrow.....can i say bless? :D
crazeebo

Postby asher selector » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 am

crazeebo wrote:we'll be posting some mood snippets and more photos soon. and don't forget, the movie is not finished yet! we need to get these 60'000 dollars on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/132 ... h-the-film to actually finalize it!!! and if we would be rich we wouldn't have a kickstarter project....we'd finance the bloody thing. so every donation is helpful....

BIIIG UP ... Nice Vibes Nice Project ...

Maybe You did it Already , But Why not Ask ALBOROSIE & GENTLEMAN for SPONSORING ???

IRIE UP ..
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 pm

when you have a project like this, its best to let everyone do what they can do best! both artists will contribute with their story. they will provide the soundtrack...were talking abt specially composed music for our project! both protagonists are heavily involved already and shouldnt be mixed with the donators to make it happen.

we the producers are responsible for the cinematic output...for my part; this might be the first ever 5.1 surround reggae experience! and as i've noticed on here before (and believe in myself) JA is great for filming these lush/warm/humid pictures that transpose really well on the silver screen! we want this to be an experience that you can see/hear/feel jamaica as you've never seen before...or maybe, as if you were there. there's great footage already of waterhouse, albo's studio with him fiddlin' the controls and lots more. it seems a director of photography's dream come true...stay tuned!
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:54 pm

KingSimeonSound wrote:What struck me a lot was the way Alborosie seemed to use a lot of manorisms, even how he sat and the speech he used was more in line with someone who took a lot from Bob. Add to that some casual comments on bigger issues, but without suggesting anything more....

anyway, I am keen to watch more, so will be interested to see it completed, the production values are spot on, comfortably the best presented footage filmed so far in JA.

now that you say it...
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:59 pm

johnnyB wrote:And the "identity" issue is not so obvious in my opinion,above all if it's discussed by two white singjays who made their way in such a peculiar environment as jamaican music/society.

that brings our topic down into one phrase! thanks
crazeebo

Postby Varese » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Ok, let's say we buy the whole 'rich-Europeans-can-be-culturally-Jamaican' malarky, but what about the weird crap about 'the danger of Islam'?
Varese

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:23 pm

dont ask me---------------------------------im an atheist
crazeebo

Postby Varese » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Given it's written on the website for the film you're producing, I think asking you is definitely to the point. Your beliefs really have nothing to do with it!
Varese

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Varese wrote:Given it's written on the website for the film you're producing, I think asking you is definitely to the point. Your beliefs really have nothing to do with it!

islam has nothing to do with our project,true.i havent written the synopsis. are you a muslim? are you offended?
crazeebo

Postby crazeebo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 pm

what struck me is in the reggae community, BIG artists (mainstream if you like) still have a lot of support! we wouldnt have that in the hiphop homebase, its kind of hard to support kanye, although hes prolly 1 of the best (most succesful) producers out there! i think its to do with the artists working hard at their goal and ppl appreciating their efforts....
crazeebo

Postby Varese » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm vaguely offended that the producer of a film can't be bothered to read his own synopsis, but given the subject of your film I'm becoming more convinced that thinking isn't your strong point, despite the rather nice cinematography. What is written in the synopsis comes across as offensive whether or not the reader is Muslim. You might want to consider a rewrite, once you've finished examining your cultural identity.
Varese

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion