Reggae Grammy Nominees

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Reggae Grammy Nominees

Postby Pluto » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:15 pm

These are this year's nominees for the unreliable Grammy awards:

Best Reggae Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)

Black Magic
Jimmy Cliff

[Artemis Records/Unique Corp.]

The Dub Revolutionaries
Sly & Robbie

[Sanctuary]

African Holocaust
Steel Pulse

[RAS/Sanctuary Records]

True Love
Toots & The Maytals

[V2 Records]

Def Jamaica
Various Artists

[Def Jamaica/Def Jam Recordings]

Better list than other years, it seems. Nice to see a Mad Professor-produced album there (Sly & Robbie). Don't know about Def Jamaica or the Jimmy Cliff one (don't expect this to be really good), but at least the new Steel Pulse, although on a mainstream-reggae route, is the best record they've issued in more than 20 years (since "True Democracy"), and the Toots & Maytals one (which I had found some months ago on a second-hand store) proved to be much better than what I expected - and with all those guest celebrities I'd bet it will win.
Pluto

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:23 pm

True Love
Toots & The Maytals
[V2 Records]

This one will win as Toots is a star now.....

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby jb welda » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:45 pm

toots deserves this one, thats what i said back before this was even released. mike cacia does too, for masterminding the whole affair.

does anyone really think the grammys matter, or have any validity? if so, what rock have you been hiding under for the past, oh, 50 years?

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:59 pm

Yes, Toots and his people deserve it - that's true. But would he have got it if he'd released the album without all those high profile rock stars on it?

I'm not so sure myself.

Respect

Gordon

PS: As JB says, the grammys don't mean a damn thing anyway. Pure Babylon backslapping business.
Anonymous

Postby jb welda » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:27 am

well, a) he hasnt gotten it, at least not yet and b) of course not, we are talking about the grammys here. they are pretty vacant and the only thing that catches peoples attention over here vis a vis reggae would be big stars on board (or batty bashing but thats another topic).

look at those other pathetic entries. that sly and robbie thing is a joke (20 year old recordings and some really really bad stuff on there in the way of marley muzak versions if im thinking of the same cd), jimmy cliff (wtf? how is he even nominated?), def jamaica (this might have some dancehall stuff of merit but the idea that its on def jam(aica) is enough to turn me off.

maybe im thinking of the wrong sly and robbie album though...i dont recall any mad professor involvement in the one im thinking of. oops i see the cover now, im definately wrong on what i wrote above but i bet the general concept stands. no way this is going to win anything.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Ekki » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:47 am

Sure the Grammys are a joke, or better said - they show the disastrous state of the music industry.

But I still hope Toots will win :lol:

As I said on SNWMF-board before:

"Well 'True Love' is nice, much better than I expected. A few songs are so-so and the Clapton & Jeff Beck stuff is horrible, but a lot of songs work out fine.
My fave is 'Still is still moving to me' with Willie Nelson."
Ekki

Postby Ital Dokta » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:29 am

I don't own any of the albums nominated but I did see Toots live for the first time and he was dancing and working his mojo on stage like a man half his age. My non reggae listening buddy that I went to the show with couldn't believe that he'd been releasing records since the mid, if not early, 60's.

Toots should win the Grammy in recognition of his lengthy career and contributions to reggae, that's about all these Grammys are good for imo. Giving some long overdue recognition to the veteran reggae artists who built this music. Other than that, its a bunch of hype BS that I just can't be bothered about.
Ital Dokta

Return to General discussion