Vinyl addiction

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Rootsdriver » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Well I guess there are other countries with bigger problems when it comes to debth.
In some way you are correct but then again...we should have probably added more smilies to the posts. I can only speak for myself but I`d say that there is a big difference between spending too much and creating a debth. I wrote my posts with a smile.

I could as well check for mp3 downloads but I don`t - which brings us back to the topic of the thread. I am chasing vinyl in order to play it on my sound and show the people that CD or laptops are not the only media out there. I`m not even saying that I prefer the sound of vinyl but to me I just love handling records. Not just anything but murderous tunes that put a smile on my face every time I put them on. I am clearly a vinyl addict and even though I might slow down the purchases for a short while - it is still the vinyl in my boxes that does it for me.
I purchased tons of records which hardly get any playtime but they were bought for a reason.

Yes I am a vinyl addict but I don`t try to find excuses for my habbit. I handle my job, feed my family, spend time on all sorts of things but the rest is on soundsystem and vinyl. I collect vinyl, build boxes and cases, assemble cables, build sirens, make all those units work together and sound good and I do all this not just for myself but to keep the fire burning. It is what I love to do and yes I love to be addicted to it.
Rootsdriver

Postby Novice » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:40 pm

Rootsdriver, fair point. Here's my counterpoint. I'm not a drug addict, I'm a
heroin addict.

It's all just words but the reality and results speak for themselves. I knew a guy who did heroin ONLY on the weekends for 5 years, still don't know what to make of that but "addiction" is just a specific word for the extremity of frequence that a person does a thing.

-Me-
Novice

Postby litelet » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:53 am

Novice, well maybe you got some points cause an addiction to "fresh stuff" can occur, Im certain. But it would be really a huge simplification to think that buying those vinyls is a simple"shopping addiction", like you said. The real motor is usually the music, the message and the vibe and limitating this to a dunza thing is wrong. It is an addiction to reggae, and I think its great though the dunza thing can confuse it. Many people get this addiction with mp3's, they want new stuff, though they dont pay any penny for it, but still, they seek everyday for new stuff, new "injections"
of reggae.

The difference with heroin, is that you can get more and more and youll just feel better, until you do it truly and honnestly with yourself. "One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain". So that seek for new sound is an expression of the connection of your soul with this music but you have to care for it!

Getting too much in the "collecting" way, spending to much, or consumming more than what you can appreciate at once can ruin your pleasure and you have to juggle with all that to find the healthy way to keep the connection alive and live it ina irie way.
litelet

Postby capullo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 pm

it's still fun after all....so glad i quit smoking :D
capullo

Postby steve rice » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Collecting records and heroin addiction are nothing like each other..i've never met a record collector that would put tunes above their health,family.work,happiness and indeed their life.
Any similarities are coincidence
every Saturday morning from 10 till noon
downbeat melody show
www.passionradiobristol.com

live it up!
steve rice

Postby Novice » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Litelet, like anything, if you have the control and discipline, all should be well, generally speaking.

Steve, I can compare heroin to any other addiction, however I cannnot
compare a physical addiction and symptoms to psychological ones, you are
correct there. As far as I know no one has forsaken their family in the manner you speak because of vinyl but only because there is not physical
pain and agony associated with or symptomatic of not getting or acquiring vinyl because if there were, the same results would stand. My mentioning
heroin was an arbitrary example of a specific drug to point out people
seeing differences in their "drug" of choice and assuming one may or may
not be an "addiction." And obviously I would only compare psychological similarities if comparing heroin to vinyl and not physical one's though I maintain they are the same even physically though the degrees are so far
apart from each other as to render them "different."

As a person who can and has gotten addicted or obsessed with the dumbest and bigger of things in life as well as the bafflingly ridiculous, I've
had some experience with the subtleties of these types of underlying
symptoms, though the causes I'm still trying to sort out.

Preliminary root cause of ANY addiction or obsession that I have come up
with so far as a denial of a particular reality or truth. This sounds to have a
negative conotation and majority of the time it does but there are obviously examples of certain types of obsessive denials of reality and accepted truths that have led to positive. One example might be the obsessed scientists who challenges or "denies" accepted realities or truths
of science and goes about to prove them to be incorrect or incomplete.

-Me-
Novice

Postby capullo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:56 pm

yes mehmed. i know where you're coming from. let's put it to "music addicted". too much good music coming in and sometimes i just can't absorb all the stuff i suck in within too shor oft time. nothing wrong with it. far too much good music out there in the world anyway (not talking reggae only).

RIDDIM! :D :shock:
capullo

Postby Novice » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Hail cap, it's actually MehmeT with a "T" and I understand where you're coming from, only one solution, don't buy the tunes and take the "loss" so to say because having a tune and not listening to it is not really much different than not having a tune and not listening to it. Only difference is that with one you give yourself the choice to listen to it but if that choice isn't going to be taken it's just choice for the sake of choice, spoiled behavior really if you think about it.

This is the same problem with kids of the last 10-20 years, too many choices and too much opportunity to where nothing gets a proper consideration because there is always something that can take it's place if it doesn't satisfy IMMEDIATELY.

You want a simple analogy for this, it's like being at a buffet(a self-serve type eating place) where every food you've ever wanted or wanted to try is present, you almost seem to lose your appetite or not know where to start and just get confounded. Or a similar one for me is when I'm cooking for a long time, even if it's something I want to eat and was hungry, by the time I'm done cooking I'm not really hungry for some reason, occasionally.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Rootsdriver » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Again I have to agree with you. We are actually pretty much on the same track. It is or was probably kind of a shopping addiction in some way. Just 1 or 2 years ago the newsletters of the shops came in every friday. I usually travel quite a bit so when coming after a rough week, I usually sat down with the laptop and headphones and listened to all the new releases. My wife was actually complaining that I come home and put on the headphones straight away. It was my way of cooling down and I must admit that I probably bought more tunes when there was an extra rough week behind me. I was probably just trying to make myself a present but that part - that`s the shopping addiction which I managed to get away from. My way of stopping it was to put the tunes I liked in a list, then wait for 2 or 3 weeks, listening to the sample every now and then in order to see whether I really still feel them. The quick shots on a friday night sometimes felt right in that moment but couldn`t get to me anymore, a week later. Those are the ones I am avoiding now.

Still, the vinyl addiction means that whenever I feel like, I just switch on my home system and spin a few tunes. It just wouldn`t work with a CD or SD or whatever. Shopping addiction is gone but the vinyl addicition is alive and well.
It was me mixing the vinyl and shopping part so as said - agree with you.
Rootsdriver

Postby Dub Defector » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:40 pm

any suggestions that vinyl addiction and heroin addiction are in anyway at all related are totally ridiculous.. you obviously have no idea what a serious substance addiction is like..

honestly, get a grip.
Dub Defector

Postby steve rice » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:54 pm

Mehmet you couldn't find your arse with both hands..

I was a junkie for over 16 years and have been clean for over 18...i understand all aspects of addiction and collecting records is not in the same building let alone the same room as addiction...
downbeat melody show

live it up!
steve rice

Postby Rootsdriver » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Thank god you came back on the right track. We are all looking forward to hear more selections from you. How is your planned mainland trip doing? Any sessions in sight yet?

Let us all try to stay calm and friendly on this one. You can never really tell how something you write can hit others. I assume we all try to post with any offense to anyone but it doesn`t always work out.

Wish I could drop the damned cigarettes. That`s something that really worries me. I do spend some time on airports and every time I run to those stinking 3x3m smokers rooms, I hate myself for doing it but I am too weak to stop. I pull my hat to anyone who manages to clean himself from any addiction. I wish I had the strength.
Rootsdriver

Postby Novice » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:56 am

Steve, I've known enough junkies, active and clean to know that they are
also a self-righteous bunch and are quick to take their addiction and past
on a soap box to let non-addicts know how terrible it was. Ironic really, a bunch of junkies telling people who could control themselves about how bad something they(non-junkies) DIDN'T do in the first place, but that's another matter all together.

Addressing your actual point, I realize how ridiculous what I am saying sounds and I'm sure it is equally ridiculous that some part of your brain
actually held on to your past junkie-life with some sense of pride when you were telling me I was talking out of my arse when comparing vinyl addiction to drug addiction......thereby belittling your "experience" or hard times?!

Some would find this next example equally ridiculous but I have heard this from MANY a heroin addicts as well as doctors/addiction therapists and that is the revelation that quitting smoking cigarrettes is or was harder than quitting heroin. And these are actual addicts who said this which at first sounded sort of outrageous to me at one point the I considered the fact and understood the differences and why it might be feasable.

I've quit smoking myself twice. The first time was relatively easy because
I actually wanted to and the last time, 7 years ago was an absolute nightmare and unbelieavably difficult because I did not want to but had to
for medical reasons. It seems odd how something I did with ease at one point was so extremely and unbearably difficult the next. All do to nothing but the difference in my mind of actually wanting to versus having to have to when I didn't want to. The mind's a funny thing and it's as slippery and elusive as a wet clit so I would caution against rejecting things, of the mind, outright or not seeing the importance of seemingly insignificant or "unrelated" details. Perhaps if you had done this in your past, you might not have become a junkie in the first place but what's done is done so learn from it, don't compound things with pride.

Roots, mate, that just sounds like you enjoy records vs. cd's as a more handleable and tangible format, not an addiction but I get your point.

-Me-
Novice

Postby steve rice » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 am

I'm not telling anybody how bad it was and to be honest i rarely let on to most people about it at all ...i only mentioned it to you to give me some authority when i spoke.

you're still wrong
downbeat melody show

live it up!
steve rice

Postby Novice » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Being right is over-rated, you don't learn anything that way.

It all works on pleasure and receptors in the brain for it, so it's a matter
of degrees and extremities but if you just want to be right, I'll left you alone.

-Me-
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion