Vinyl addiction

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Maarty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:46 pm

skunkride wrote:
Mark T wrote:we never intended to have any, then we had one......and it just went from there.

Just like my reggae 7" collection :P

lol... funnny how that happens

Yeah if you ask my girl she'll probably say I'm addicted :!: but I'm just making up for lost time from when I was young and had no money to spend on lots of music :)
Maarty

Postby Mark T » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:01 pm

My family better not reach the size of my record collection!
I also missed a lot of good stuff when I was younger so I'm very grateful for all the good reissues. Apart from the music papers and browsing record stores it was hard to know what was out there.
Going into reggae shops was pretty intimidating for a skinny 15 year old white kid like me - though I must say I never experienced the rudeness of Keith at Daddy kool that many people talk about - I always found it to be a good experience.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby giab » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 am

bugger, just fell off the wagon & ordered

King General - Health Strength & Power LOVEDUB 10"
I-Dren Nattural - Sip A Cup JAH WORKS 10"
Princes Jewels - Walk With Jah JAH WORKS 12"
Simon Bogle/Ghetto Priest - Dry Bone Groove Corporation Remix GREEN TEA 10"
Tony Roots - Roots Rock Reggae LUSH 10"
Seventh Sense - Riddim Of Life JAH WORKS 12"
Tony Roots - Good People MANILLA JEEPNEY 7"
Christine Miller - Run To The Rock BACKYARD MOVEMENTS 7"
Anthony Que - Take Me Away BACKYARD MOVEMENTS 7"
Nyanjah Tafari - Repatriation ALKAMIST 7"
Tony Roots Meets Christine Miller: Rebels With Cause CONSCIOUS SOUNDS CD
Franz Job - Babylon Is Dead CONSCIOUS SOUNDS CD
Hughie Izachaar - African Melodica Dub REGGAE ON TOP CD
Everything in moderation, especially moderation
giab

Postby capullo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:09 am

bugger, just fell off the wagon & ordered

:lol:
capullo

Postby Rootsdriver » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Entered 2 orders at 2 shops last night but didn`t fire them of yet. I wish I had a bit more self discipline.
Thank god this addiction will only kill my bank account - not myself.

I sometimes wonder how I got hooked on this sound and why I am soo serious about this music while all the others keep shaking their heads and switch on the radio - listening to whatever is thrown at them. Just doesn`t work for me.

What is so special about this sound? Why do I not hear it the same way like others do?
Rootsdriver

Postby t-woc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Rootsdriver wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Entered 2 orders at 2 shops last night but didn`t fire them of yet. I wish I had a bit more self discipline.
Thank god this addiction will only kill my bank account - not myself.

I sometimes wonder how I got hooked on this sound and why I am soo serious about this music while all the others keep shaking their heads and switch on the radio - listening to whatever is thrown at them. Just doesn`t work for me.

What is so special about this sound? Why do I not hear it the same way like others do?

you have what is called - 'taste'
-------------------------
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=mickalphabet
t-woc

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:33 pm

When my British wife was encouraging me to move to the UK (I'm American), one of the stipulations was that I could buy whatever music I wanted without question. While I've never taken outrageous advantage of this arrangement, we did eventually settle on an agreed budget. (And charity shop/boot fair purchases don't count.)

Nonethess, I sometimes get the feeling that it's the hunt rather than the kill that's driving the urge.

How much is enough?
Aaron

Postby vital ital » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:21 pm

How much is nuff?

Around 5000 45's and around 2500 albums...

Thats my goal!

v.i.
Bashment girl nah come cheap.
vital ital

Postby Rootsdriver » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 pm

That means I can stop now. :D :D :D

True, it`s all about the hunt. Once you hit it, you loose interest, hide behind your shelter and wait for the next one, or two.

That`s a true addiction and seeing that most of us have no other chance than to hunt and order online, it is all too easy.

Babylon is a trap....but this one I can enjoy.
Rootsdriver

Postby Uncle Chig E » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:02 am

Some of the true confessions of the vinyl addicts, myself included, reminds me of some of the dialogue from the movie 'Key Largo' with Humphrey Bogart as Frank and Edward G. Robinson as Johnny Rocco, the gangster on the run:

Johnny Rocco: Well, I want uh ...
Frank McCloud: He wants more, don't you, Rocco?
Johnny Rocco: Yeah. That's it. More. That's right! I want more!
James Temple: Will you ever get enough?

Of course, with vinyl junkies, like Johnny Rocco, there is never enough.
Uncle Chig E

Postby Mark T » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:20 am

How much is enough? Just a little bit more than you have.
It's as simple as that.
Aaron - I love the stipulation that charity shops/boot sales don't count - makes perfect sense to an addicted mind like mine.
Just received the 4 Scrub a Dub 12"s today!
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Rootsdriver » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:40 am

You can have too much or too many - but never enough.

By definition, human history split us into collectors and hunters. Seems as if we are now at the next stage of evolution. Who said multitasking is a female thing?
Rootsdriver

Postby FitZ » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Man I looked at the parcel I received today just while I was listening to the tune and I remembered this topic...the parcel was not opened, it was absolutely burst .....Addiction seems to be the proper name..
Gangunguru Hi-Fi since 1998
FitZ

Postby Novice » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:32 pm

Am I the only one concluding that all of this has nothing to do with vinyl or
music but SHOPPING? It's a shopping addiction and plenty of people have
them and they can get out of control pretty fast and have the same
characteristics as ANY other addiction though some of the symptoms may be less harmful. Take "less harmful" with a grain of salt though because plenty
in the U.S., for example are in crazy debt because of a spending addiction
and their credit cards.

You all sound like drug addicts with all the excuses and rationalizations and
most importantly delusions about how it's just music and music is good for
you and a healthy thing to indulge in etc. etc.........this last bit may be true
but it ain't the truth when you're using it as an excuse to fuel the true reality
which is that you want to spend money and shop because it gives you a rush and a nice feeling and is in fact chemical in nature and if you just pay attention you can feel it happening. There is usually a very very subtle but
concentrated dose of euphoric feeling JUST BEFORE the actual purchase is made or about to be made, listen and you'll hear it.

No amount of tune or record or "limit" will ever be enough if this feeling is
what is fueling your motivations. Hence, like someone mentioned above
how it's about the "hunt," oh REALLY, is that what a high is called now, the "hunt," that word is just a replacement for the "fix" or "high" when compared to something more obvious like a drug addiction. And when a high runs out you have to get more or you feel uneasy, restless, etc.

Let's call it what it is folks, otherwise you sound like a bunch of drunks talking about what you will could or should do but won't ever get around to doing.

-Me-
Novice

Postby steve rice » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Novice wrote:Am I the only one concluding that all of this has nothing to do with vinyl or
music but SHOPPING? It's a shopping addiction and plenty of people have
them and they can get out of control pretty fast and have the same
characteristics as ANY other addiction though some of the symptoms may be less harmful. Take "less harmful" with a grain of salt though because plenty
in the U.S., for example are in crazy debt because of a spending addiction
and their credit cards.

You all sound like drug addicts with all the excuses and rationalizations and
most importantly delusions about how it's just music and music is good for
you and a healthy thing to indulge in etc. etc.........this last bit may be true
but it ain't the truth when you're using it as an excuse to fuel the true reality
which is that you want to spend money and shop because it gives you a rush and a nice feeling and is in fact chemical in nature and if you just pay attention you can feel it happening. There is usually a very very subtle but
concentrated dose of euphoric feeling JUST BEFORE the actual purchase is made or about to be made, listen and you'll hear it.

No amount of tune or record or "limit" will ever be enough if this feeling is
what is fueling your motivations. Hence, like someone mentioned above
how it's about the "hunt," oh REALLY, is that what a high is called now, the "hunt," that word is just a replacement for the "fix" or "high" when compared to something more obvious like a drug addiction. And when a high runs out you have to get more or you feel uneasy, restless, etc.

Let's call it what it is folks, otherwise you sound like a bunch of drunks talking about what you will could or should do but won't ever get around to doing.

-Me-

Doughnut
every Saturday morning from 10 till noon
downbeat melody show
www.passionradiobristol.com

live it up!
steve rice

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion