Vinyl addiction

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Vinyl addiction

Postby capullo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:02 am

sometimes i get under stress because sooo much good music is coming in and i have no chance to properly listen to all before i want a next new release/re-issue/rare discogs/ebay item i spot. should be possible to stay away from buying for a couple of months without thinking i miss something all the time. just talking as a music lover and collector, not selector who has to please the crowd with new stuff regularly.

then again there are worse addictions.....

gave up smoking almost 3 years ago... :wink:
well...

i'll see.....
:twisted:
capullo

Postby mistah brown » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:16 am

Vinyl Addiction is worse for you than smoking! :wink:
mistah brown

Postby tweeter box » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:12 am

I know exactly where your coming from mate :(
"your style is unorthodox but effective, it is not the art but the combat that you enjoy"
tweeter box

Postby giab » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:54 pm

I suffered from vinyl addiction for many years, but seem to have conquered it in the last year or so.
The key for me was to realise that my life is non the worse for not having the latest release. Yes , it might be a little bit better for having it, but I have lost nothing for not having it.
Plus, I found that by constantly aquiring new tunes, I never had the chance to really get to know/enjoy the tunes I already had.
Another plus is that instead of constatnly struugling to pay off my credit card bill, for the 1st time in my life I have $3500 plus in my savings account, I have bought new guitars,mandolins etc, which i get way more pleasure out of playing than I ever did than listening to new record.
Everything in moderation, especially moderation
giab

Postby Mark T » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 am

Having spent money regularly buying music for the last 30 years or so I know where you are coming from and have done some 'self-analysis'. I was a bit disturbed when I realized that even as I was listening to a brand new acquisition I was already thinking about the next purchase (I always have a 'wants list' as long as my arm).
Anyway, I thought it didn't seem right to not be fully present and enjoying what I had just got. So last year I bought nothing for three months and gave the money I would have spent away. A very liberating experience. I should probably do it again soon - seems that there is a saturation point - for me at least.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby differentstyle » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:10 pm

I was affected of the same thing but now I " recovered ".
How I did it?
I didn't have money to spend for more than one year 'cause I had to refurbish my flat.
That situation tought me to administrate with prudence my finances and to choose carefully the tunes.
differentstyle

Postby Baba Jonah » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Searching tunes out is a very primitive instinct involving tactics and skill, as well as being very enjoyable. I set limits per month and I can say I love every record I own. Missing out on tunes is part of the hunt! Fuels my determination to keep going. Anyway I'll stop rambling now. . .
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby Rootsdriver » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Puuuhh, I thought I was the only one. For some years I had a really well sorted record shop just 30km from home so I checked all releases during the week and then went to the shop to get what I wanted, each saturday. Unfortunately the shop closed doors so I was forced to switch to online ordering - and things got worse. I used to pay cash in the shop but when switching to paypal or credit card, things started getting out of hand. I checked the online listings daily, even during holidays when travelling and if there was nothing new, I just went a-z, just ordering what I liked. I ended up with loads of records which never got played any longer than the sample I heard of it when scanning the lisitings. Piles of records of which I couldn`t tell the tune just by looking at the record. All good but too many to remember.

I wouldn`t say that I am healed as I scanned rms again today but haven`t ordered anything for some weeks. How did I do it? Well, not really the cheapest way but for me it worked.

Get a kid!!!!
Rootsdriver

Postby vital ital » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Or get two kids like me! :D
I look at it as a reward now a days... Take care of EVERYTHING FIRST (rent, food, bills, toys, savings) and then splurge the left over money on records, these actually make me feel good, as opposed to some of the stuff i got just while being on a binge.

v.i.
Bashment girl nah come cheap.
vital ital

Postby Mark T » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:36 am

I have four kids so that has also limited and prioritized my spending. But now they are older and working they even buy me music
Mark T :P
Mark T

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:31 am

Obviously well brought up and trained kids Mark :lol: I don't know about addiction as I have until quite recently gone a long while without ordering new tunes. I am a compulsive thrift shop checker though and stop at the one down the street from work nearly every day to see if any new CD's or records have come in.

I prefer to think of it as recycling :wink:
Ital Dokta

Postby vital ital » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:13 pm

4?! Bravo! That must be one great wife you got!

Unless u got kids i cant really rank you as a reggae lover. LOL.

v.i.
vital ital

Postby Mark T » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Yeas, I do have a great wife - celebrated 25 years of marriage this August.
Don't know how we ended up with 4 kids though - we never intended to have any, then we had one......and it just went from there.
The youngest turned 13 yesterday and we celebrated his entry into adulthood with a poker night! Half the pot went to a micro-loan organization. great time.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby vital ital » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:03 pm

KILLER!
Mine are 5 and 3 and both know how to play the record deck.

v.i.
vital ital

Postby skunkride » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Mark T wrote:we never intended to have any, then we had one......and it just went from there.

Just like my reggae 7" collection :P
skunkride

Next

Return to General discussion