Gentleman - is he a huge star in Germany?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:29 pm

Let me add - I heard a new Gentleman cut on some as yet unreleased JA trax and his cut IMHO is stronger and more memorable (in a good way) than any of the other major JA names on the same riddim (!)..4 real.
Quality roots.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:31 pm

< before I realised it was a white german kid, >

But is he English masquerading as a German?
why does his vebb site say he moved from the UK to Germany?
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:36 pm

OK - HANG ON A SEC..

OK - so I misread the info up on das Gentlemann seite - in the tour diary..
The intro ONLY is written by Gentleman and the REST, including the moving from the UK part , is written by 'Pete' the guitarist (!)..

I didn't read the 'more' parts thus leading to my misunderstanding.

http://www.journeytojah.com/index_flash.html

If you don't follow the 'more' links on the diary its easy to think the whole shebang is from GENTILLLLLLMAHHNNNNNNN.

Indeed when I read - one can see the Gentleman writing sounds very English as a second language whereas big 'ol Pete sounds like a UK native English writing guy..

SORRY for the confusion!

CS
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:58 pm

A few Gentleman tunes sound okay, but I don't know if I could listen to him over a whole album.

Another artist to check for from Germany is Zoe, she sounds like a reggae version of Erykah Badu.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Dub Soljah » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:31 pm

Honnestly... you just need to see him perform live on stage...
IMHO he's the best on many riddims or at least has been so til this album which remains as one of the best of the year. Seriously check for him...
Some of the stuff is dancehallminded but even then listen carefully, its serious works everytime...

In an interview with Queen Ifrika last summer - she's overpleased to have worked with Gentleman - she said "Gentleman is what most of yard artist should look to be..." speaking either of the spirit, the way and the result he achieves. Even yardies reckon now he's a great artist.
On the other hand, its true he has become so popular in Germany or even in Switzerland (german side) that a teenage fx is more than perceptible. But he don't fool his crowd either the teens or the veterans ! Trust me ...

Good good good artist...
Dub Soljah

Postby jb welda » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:40 am

Last edited by jb welda on Sun May 11, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:41 am

Last edited by jb welda on Sun May 11, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb welda

Gentleman

Postby vasceri » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:01 pm

I agree with Jah Bill regarding Gentleman and his live performance. I also saw him at SNWMF last year (which happened to be his US Debut) and was blown away by his performance. We happened to bump into him three times during the weekend and he was always more than happy to chat for awhile. A first class individual both as a performer and as a person.

One love
eric v

P.S. Jah Bill, just got back from Rojah and Mary's home last weekend. I am still feeling the "religious" experience. But was asked to give you a heartfelt "Hello" next time I linked with you. He classified you as a "Reggae Mormon".
vasceri

Postby jb welda » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:33 pm

a "reggae mormon"???

are you sure you didnt misunderstand or mistype that last part? its pretty close to "moron".

i would have no idea how i could be a mormon, reggae or otherwise!

anyway i have to send off cds of that philo session to him...he was supposed to be in the area but something came up and he had to miss it so the cds would be the next best thing.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Rojah

Postby vasceri » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:25 pm

Jah Bill,

Yeah, I was interested in the "Mormon" tag as well, but he said someone had given him the title a while back and therefore applies it to his "Reggae Involved" friends. I know he meant it as a term of endearment.

He also applied the tag to Solid Rock as well.

Anyhow, I had a wonderful experience, especially considering his entire collection is leaving for Jamaica sometime in the next month or two.

I would love to see a semi back up to his house on that narrow little LA street !!

One love
eric v
vasceri

Postby King Shone » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:04 pm

Please read a interview with Mr. G made in this years Montreux Jazz Festival on the site below.

Respect
@kingshonettr
kingshone@gmail.com
King Shone

Previous

Return to General discussion