Johnny Ringo "Eye Witness" question

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Johnny Ringo "Eye Witness" question

Postby Jonathan » Thu May 07, 2009 2:59 am

Does anyone recommend this Johnny Ringo LP? I have only heard "Cool Profile" and loved it but I don't know anything about this "Eyewitness" LP which apparently came out about the same time (from a different producer.)
When you point your finger at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at you. (Jamaican Proverb)
Jonathan

Postby kalcidis » Thu May 07, 2009 7:26 am

I love it. Ringo always is an entertaining chatter and on this album he is in fine style (the only really boring album I've heard with him was Woman A Ginal).

The songs are both over foundation rhythms such as Heavenless, Taxi but also other personal favourites such as the rhythm to Ernest Wilsons »I Know Myself« and Horace Andy's »Every Tongue Shall Tell« are used.

It's a bit short though since it's only eight songs long but then again that often tends to make for a better album. If I were you I'd without a doubt buy it if it was available for a good price.

Thank you for posting this thread! It was quite some time since I last drew this LP. I think it's staying on the deck for some time now.
kalcidis

Postby Fish » Thu May 07, 2009 8:33 am

Good album but I don't like it as much as "Cool Profile," largely because "Profile" has the stronger rhythms. Will definitely pull it out and give it another listen, though . . .

One thing is for sure - it's unfortunate that it doesn't include Ringo's "Two Lesbian Hitch," his commentary on one of the news articles on the cover.
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby I-wan » Thu May 07, 2009 9:02 am

Ya, that LP is all right, but I think there are a number of weak moments on it.
I kinda find it in the same league as his album on Absissa.

Like others here Cool Profile is tops for sure and is in my top 5 80's deejay LPs.
If I were you I'd reach for his Riding West outing. It has some total killers on it and you can find copies on ebay for $20.
I-wan

Postby kalcidis » Thu May 07, 2009 9:50 am

Cool Profile I have to agree is the best Ringo LP. I haven't heard his album on Absissa but can imagine it's good since the other LP's I've heard on Absissa are excellent. Riding West never really did it for me. I listened intensely to it when I got it and I even enjoyed it at the time ... but now every time I pull it out it leaves me unsatisfied.

My favourite albums have to be Cool Profile, Pancoot (one of the first deejay albums I heard) and Eye Witness. Still don't have Pancoot on vinyl though ... only on a C90 I got from a friend. The b-side is Elroy Baileys - Red Hot Dub (GREAT dub set). Bought the reissue a couple of years ago but returned it ... it had all kind of weird tempochanges like someone was playing with the pitch or the source of recording was badly off-centred/warped LP.

JA to UK Clash is a fabulous album!!! One of the best clash albums I've got. Ringo is perhaps in his best form on that one.

Would love to get the Absissa LP some day.
kalcidis

Postby Dadi Digi » Thu May 07, 2009 12:53 pm

The LP on Absissa (black label) is slack if I recall correctly. I have it at home but in a 12" disco sleeve. Evening News I do like but Cool Profile is top a top.
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby kalcidis » Thu May 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Digi; You're thinking of Two Coxman which was released on Ariola (a related label to Absissa I think ... judging from the label typography and design.

There seems to be two very obscure Ringo LP's out there though. One released on Black & White with the title Push Lady Push. I know the title track but never knew there was an LP until Ray reviewed it in the deejays book. Also I've seen mentioning of an album called Dry Land Tourist released on D-Roy.
kalcidis

Postby minidub » Thu May 07, 2009 6:48 pm

like kalcidis i used to not rate "woman a ginal" at all; i love my "pancoot" album too. now, (years later) i adore side two on "woman a ginal". i can put that side of the Lp on and enjoy it all the way through.

the track list is not correct on the cover, it's actually:
ranking jam (silly, but always puts me in a good mood)
bag of love
tourist season (no more bushmasters!)
morning ride
ganja exchange.

maybe give side two another spin and see if it hasn't improved over time. you never know.

m.
minidub

Postby Dadi Digi » Fri May 08, 2009 8:45 am

Your right Kalcidis, it is indeed 2 Coxman LP I am thinking of. Wicked LP still
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby kalcidis » Fri May 08, 2009 10:24 am

minidub; It's a little bit late since I no longer have the album :( But I'll download it and give it a listen one or two more times.

dadi digi; I knew it simply because you won it at the auction that I was going to bid on (...but then forgot). This is three years ago or so. You got it for $9 I think (which is a great price.) :)
kalcidis

Return to General discussion