Artist > Regulars / Album > I & I

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Artist > Regulars / Album > I & I

Postby benja » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:41 pm

Regulars - I & I

What can you all tell me about this album? Who are the "Regulars"? Are they from the UK? Who produced it?
Last edited by benja on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.algoriddim.org
benja

Postby JV » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:50 pm

Regulars (aka Reggae Regular)

George "Flee" Clarke - keyboards; Patrick Donnegan - backing vocals, guitar; Junior Ewbanks - guitar; Errol Francis - drums; Alan King - vocals; Tony Rookwood - vocals; Trevor "Seal" Salmon - bass.
JV

Postby skunkride » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:02 pm

Excellent album - pity i only have it on mp3...
skunkride

Postby Reuben » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:36 pm

Wicked album.
First time I heard the track Marcus The Prophet' it was played by a sound called 'Marcus', I think from Reading. There are sound fx in between the trax on the album of cows mooing and birds singing ect from the BBC.

Respect
Reuben

Postby Jackie Pablo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:45 pm

Originally they were Reggae Regular (from the UK), and in 1978 had a beautiful extended 12" released on Greensleeves that sounds just as good now as it did then!

(A) The Black Star Liner

(B) Where Is Jah
Jackie Pablo

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:55 pm

There are 3 KILLER tunes on this album - Marcus, Marijuana (both played with dubplate cuts by Jah Shaka) & Dress Up Yourself. A prime example of hardcore militant early UK roots. Buy with confidence if you see it for sale....
Reggaemusicstore

Postby benja » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:04 pm

but they're not the same group that did the album "Ghetto Rock" for Mad Professor, right?
http://www.algoriddim.org
benja

Postby Reuben » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:23 pm

Have to say Armageddeon Rock is massive, nice & mello but massive rythim and lyrics.
Reuben

Postby JT » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:52 pm

Benja,

To answer your question that was the bare bones remnants of the band that did the Ghetto Rock lp. By then both lead singers had left and Flea Clarke who wrote most of the music was gone as was the lead guitar player. The rhythm section was intact and these guys tried their hand at singing. It is nothing like the music made as I&I and on the Where Is Jah + Black Star Liner singles and the CBS Victim album.

After leaving Reggae Regular Alan King did some music at Ariwa.

...I can't believe no one mentioned the uncomfortably cheap sound effects between each track on the I&I album
JT

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:29 am

JT - Reuben did mention the sounf FX in his post above, & yes they are crap..... The Regulars also did a 12" called "Jah Love" on Greensleeves which was pretty good, a heavy one drop tune. By the way if anyone out there has dubplate cuts to Marcus or Marijuana please get in touch, I'll sell my right arm for them.....
Reggaemusicstore

Postby JT » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:10 pm

Jah Love is a nice 12" from their later work. Another nice Greensleeves 12" from right before that is House Party. It's interesting to me that Saint does the solo DJ work on Jah Love and Eastwood does the solo DJ work on House Party.
JT

Postby TruthsAndRights » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:04 am

according to the back of the Tony Benjamin - African Rebel LP, it says that tony was previously the lead singer of reggae regulars. so i beleive that JV's lineup is true for their first album 'victim' with alan on lead, and as for 'I and I' that is tony benjamin singing lead on most of not all of them. i beleive it is most evendent that its Tony B on 'marcus the prophet'.
you may have to have a listen to tony's ariwa stuff again to hear, so if you're not fortunate enough to have a listen at the 'african rebel' lp than just refer to mad professor's good 'ol dub me crazy part 1 for a sample.
TAR
~Equal Rights And Justice Stands For All~
TruthsAndRights

Postby TruthsAndRights » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:15 am

benja : "but they're not the same group that did the album "Ghetto Rock" for Mad Professor, right?"

wrong, it is the same group. but by it's release in 1984 the group lacked tony who went solo (african rebel) and alan kingpin who went solo but apparently went by the name 'ras bombo' in the early ariwa years with not much more than a few singles until the later released 'letter from jail' & 'god of love' LPs.
i think they did a very respectable job on 'ghetto rock' even with the absense Alan & Tony.

i'm still curious as to the significance of their name change on every release. my guess is it has something to do with the change of lead singers on each release. i also believe the reason for them not putting reggae regulars but instead reggae regular because their previous sings had left.

well hope that helps reveal some of the mystery about this group.

peace
TAR
TruthsAndRights

Postby Inyaki » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:09 am

During the 70s and early 80s they used to be the backing band for JA artists such as: Wailing souls, Morwells, Max Romeo, etc....
I saw them performing live in 1983. The line up was:
Patrick "Chicka" Donnegan ( guitar )
George "Flea" Clarke ( keyboards )
Winston "Horseman" Williams ( drums / deejay )
Trevor "Seal" Salmon ( bass )
They shared the vocals.

I saw some Alan Kingpin live shows in the early 90s (after his Ras Bombo period).
After they split up Patrick became a successful producer for Greensleeves/UK Bubblers and run his own Progressive Sounds studio and label. Kingpin settle in Jamaica. Bassie "Seal" used to back Desmond Dekker. And drummie "Horseman" is still very active as a top UK session drummer.
Inyaki

Postby TruthsAndRights » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:05 am

interesting info Inyaki, thanks for that!
TruthsAndRights

Next

Return to General discussion