Mystic Revelation of Rastafari

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Mystic Revelation of Rastafari

Postby greedypuppy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:39 pm

I recently got this double cd-as a cheapy whcih claims to be the original complete grounation of Count Ossie. Sleeve notes however (and possibly the very clean sound)state it was produced by Arnold Wedderburn with musical direction by Cedric Im Brooks. So is this the original remastered, or a new recording ? Notwithstanding its pedigree its a great release.
Tracklisting is
Bongoman
Narration
Malorat (passin thru)
Poem
400 Years
Song
Lumba
Ehtiopian Serenade
Oh Carolina
So Long
Grounation
:?: [/b]
greedypuppy

Postby Ital Dokta » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:22 am

I have the same budget priced CD release on Proper/Retro. It's the original triple LP on two discs - I wouldn't pay too much attention to the misleading credits, I think that has more to do with the CD mastering, Cedric Brooks is in charge of the musical direction here.

I think some people have commented on the sound quality of these CD's being quite poor...from memory I think I found them quite flat, though that might have something to do with recording techniques and the acoustic, unamplified nature of the music.
Ital Dokta

Postby benja » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:10 am

Ital Dokta wrote:though that might have something to do with recording techniques and the acoustic, unamplified nature of the music.

I have the opriginal vinyl and the 3 disc set as well and the vinyl is a lot more vibrant than the discs. I think it had more to do with them trying to prepare the recording for CD.
http://www.algoriddim.org
benja

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:04 am

I have the orig 3 LP version..the technical sound on it is good - very natural sounding recording...Dynamic Studio I guess..
One of my fave all time JA releases just cuz its so bizarrely different & love the acoustic vibes too..
COuldn't say I sit down and listen to the whole thing from end to end, the rasta jazz poetry gets a bit much - its more the overall sound & concept I like..
Chocolate Soldier

Postby greedypuppy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:29 am

I can't believe I only just got round to hearing this set...Its been on my mind to do so for 20 years...even better than Ras Michael's Nyabinghi set.
greedypuppy

Postby skunkride » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:39 am

Don't know this set but "Tales Of Mozambique" by Count Ossie & MROR is a great set, probably same concept & direction as the triple set but thankfully shorter ! :) The vinyl is still available on quite good pressing (Dynamic label)
skunkride

Postby hwheelan » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:40 pm

One of the all time great reggae albums....one for the late night burn!
Pilot
hwheelan

Postby JV » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:49 pm

The Retro/Proper CD version is a disaster. The original recording has been recorded outdoors. It's not technically great, but sounds just brilliant, beautiful acoustical music recorded in a beautiful atmosphere despite the hiss and an occasional tape drop-out. Now that CD has been destroyed by using very extreme noise reduction which stops the hiss but completely kills all those beauty values by turning it to very hollow and thin sounding destroying that natural ambience. And done in extreme fashion - it sounds like recorded in a vacuum instead of a yard.
Don't buy the CD. Any scratched triple LP version in this case is multiple times better than this horror of a ceedee. Being without is a happier state of mind than having this piece of CD crap. Avoid. IMHO (strongly).
JV

Postby Pluto » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:12 pm

I bought the Proper/Retro 2CD some years ago and indeed it has a very thin and 'metal' sound similar to a low-bitrate mp3. I suppose it has to do with "Proper/Retro" being a 'cheapo' label with cheap 2-CD & 3-CD sets of the likes of Elvis Presley, Louis Armstrong and only few odd choices (like this "Grounation" set) targeting mostly a non-reggae market.

I think there has been another CD-reissue of Grounation on another label :?:
Pluto

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:29 pm

Recent issue is on Dejavu - haven't listened closely and don't know original, but it sounds a bit dead.
Rob
Anonymous

Return to General discussion