Channel 4 - Tonight - 23:00 Two Tone Britain

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:02 pm

[subtitles]
Twenty-five years ago a new music burst dramatically into life. This is the story of how Two Tone, in drawing its musical influences from Jamaican ska and reggae, provided multi-cultural Britain with a soundtrack and an identity for the first time.
Anonymous

Postby Professor Mushtaq » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:57 pm

or the second time perhaps :roll:
Lawless Street - The finest in Reggae, Ska & Dub. 2RRR 88.5fm Thursday 4 - 6pm
Professor Mushtaq

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:59 pm

Just about to start and i've got the vid going... hope it's good.. ?
Anonymous

Postby Professor Mushtaq » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:03 pm

Would love to see it - somehow doubt it will get a screening here.
Lawless Street - The finest in Reggae, Ska & Dub. 2RRR 88.5fm Thursday 4 - 6pm
Professor Mushtaq

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:08 pm

Looks like being quite good, it's had RICO on so far, and now Pauline Black.. I'm not particularly knowledgable about the Skinhead/Two Tone thing, although I was buying the records at the time, I didn't access Reggae and jamaican music via that route like many did i guess.
Anonymous

Postby dots69 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:02 pm

some great footage i neva seen before, one of the contributors claimed that 2 Tone shaped his life musically and politically, having thought about it i feel the very same way, thankfully it was round the same time me Pops (a record collector) introduced me to Prince Buster et al and the rest as they say is history but 2 Tone was where it started for me.

PS : the only non reggae vinyl i have yet to sell is me 2 Tone collection, been tempted recently but I see on the SNWMF board Ringo ended up buying back his so maybe i'll hold tight for awhile :wink:

respect
Dots
dots69

Postby Anonymous » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:31 pm

It was okay but could have been longer and no disrespect to her, but what the hell has a film director got to do with 2 Tone? Also that hippy guy with the glasses who writes for bloody Smash Hits or something.

Why don't these programmes ever interview regular music fans, who know a damn sight more than these D list celebrities?

Rant over :D

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:36 pm

I had exactly the same rant to my long-suffering wife last night Gordon.

She nodded politely.

Baldy.
Anonymous

Postby hwheelan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:14 pm

Yeah, same thoughts exactly.......got fed up with the number of times we had to hear the old b-list celeb quota bang on about how it was the first time black & white unite etc etc....once is enough thanks.
Good live footage and stills though, but no Dammers or Terry Hall speaking, shame that and I can only guess they didn't want to participate.
Overall I thought it was pretty good....and anything of that ilk is good to see on TV these days - famine rather than feast where music TV comes in!
Much overlooked and significant period of UK music and one with a deep effect on many in the later UK reggae, techno, dance scene.
Left me with feeling though that very little of great passion or merit is happening now.
Right, off to see the Beta Band on their last ever tour....
Pilot
hwheelan

Postby Ringo » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:57 pm

I really enjoyed it. I think the problems outlined above are due to the current way production companies approach these kind of histories, and I was happy to ignore that side of it. Some great footage, just about all of it new to me; probably the first time I've seen a programme on a movement I was truly a part of. From that perspective it was great and brought some great memories back of sta-press, white socks and loafers.
First Specials LP still my favourite and most played album.
Ringo

Return to General discussion