Yabby You Meets Tommy McCook in Dub (Sounds of 70s)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Yabby You Meets Tommy McCook in Dub (Sounds of 70s)

Postby Jonathan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:15 pm

Any info or opinions on this release? Is it dub or instrumental or somewhere in between? Sound quality?
When you point your finger at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at you. (Jamaican Proverb)
Jonathan

Postby Mick Sleeper » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:49 am

Is that the Peacemaker Records release from Canada? It's a mix of instrumentals and dubs - interestingly, some tracks (with different titles) showed up on Blood & Fire's Blazing Horns and Dub It To The Top sets. Not crucial IMO, but if you're a serious Yabby You fan and want to get a few dubs that aren't available elsewhere, it's a good set.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Jonathan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Yes - thanks Mick - that's the one.

Also wondering if there was any relation with the WLN vinyl release "Yabby You Meets Sly and Robbie with Tommy McCook?"

And: does anyone know how many tracks overlap with the B&F sets? The titles don't seem to offer any real clue.
When you point your finger at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at you. (Jamaican Proverb)
Jonathan

Postby skunkride » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:28 pm

Crucial set of great horns workouts over Yabby You riddims. Some tracks overlap with Blazing Horns & the WLN set but it's not an exact copy of either. Many tracks are horns versions to tracks from Yabby/W Wade/M Prophet 'Prophecy' set. This CD is out of print for long time so if you want it grab it fast...sound quality is excellent.

Vocal versions to the tracks on this album :

1. Economical Crisis
2. Dr. Bird
3. Everybody Bawlin
4. Zambia
5. House Is Not A Home
6. Rockfort Rock
7. How Long
8. King Pharaoh Plague
9. Jah Over I
10. Fire Fire
11. You Don't Want Me
12. I Can't Hide
13. Africa

BTW stay away from Blazing Horns on B&F as it's over processed & have a metallic flanging sound...not typical to B&F !
skunkride

Postby Jonathan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:23 pm

Thanks Skunkride (and sorry to belabor the point) but I'm still a little unclear: do you know which tracks, if any, are flat-out dubs (and not horns versions?)
Jonathan

Postby Mick Sleeper » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:49 pm

Well, I would have to sit down and play the CD and report back, and that seems like too much work. :wink: Just buy it! I'm sure Alex at Peacemaker Records would appreciate the dunza.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby skunkride » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:14 pm

As far as i can remember at least 90% of the tracks are horns versions. Hope that helps !
skunkride

Postby Jonathan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:13 pm

That'ts the information I was looking for, Skunkride - thanks.
Jonathan

Re: Yabby You Meets Tommy McCook in Dub (Sounds of 70s)

Postby chuckasaurusrex » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm aware this thread is ancient ... but if anyone can help I'd really appreciate knowing exactly how much overlap there is between the "Meets Tommy McCook In Dub" and the B&F "Blazing Horns" and "Dub It To The Top" sets. I'm definitely a serious Yabby You fan but the Peacemaker release will likely be relatively expensive if I can even track down a copy so I want to decide in advance if it would be worth it. Thanks.
chuckasaurusrex

Postby skunkride » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Not much overlap (if at all) with Dub It To The Top which is a dub set.

The horns cuts on the Blazing Horns LP as followed :

A1 Fire Fire
A2 Everybody Bawlin
A3 Time Changes
A4 Covetous Man

B1 Economical Crisis
B2 Doctor Bird
B3 ??
B4 ??
B5 How Long

None of the unknown cuts appear on the Yabby/Mccook set.
Hope that helps.
skunkride

Postby chuckasaurusrex » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:39 am

Ummmmm, thanks very much Skunkride for the info but sadly I'm still floundering a bit.

I take it that where the vocal versions correspond to horns versions appearing on both the B&F and Peacemaker sets, the horns versions are identical on both sets?

I would have thought, based on your earlier post, that the Covetous Man horns version (A4) appears only on the B&F set (in addition to the mysterious B3 and B4)?

At any rate, if I understand you correctly, the horns versions to the following vocal tracks are unique to the Peacemaker set (or at least not duplicated on the Blazing Horns set):

4. Zambia
5. House Is Not A Home
6. Rockfort Rock
8. King Pharaoh Plague
9. Jah Over I
11. You Don't Want Me
12. I Can't Hide
13. Africa

Does that seem right to you?

Thanks again.
chuckasaurusrex

Postby skunkride » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:17 am

Yes thats all correct - theres a lot of overlap between the 2 sets while the Peacemaker CD has a large number of tracks which are unique to this release. Haven't compared the overlapping tracks but quite sure they are identical. I also remember that the Blazing Horns CD has a flanging metallic sound which i didn't enjoy at all, none of that on the Peacemaker CD.
skunkride

Postby chuckasaurusrex » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Much appreciated - thanks.
chuckasaurusrex

Postby Dubba » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Would love a copy of this CD, if anybody has a copy they're willing to let go at a reasonable price, please drop me a PM. :D
Dubba

Postby chuckasaurusrex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:40 pm

It's a great album. I sent you a PM, but for some reason it seems to be sitting in my "outbox" so please let me know if it doesn't eventually go through.
chuckasaurusrex

Next

Return to General discussion