Leroy Sibbles reissues

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Leroy Sibbles reissues

Postby mghifi » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:09 pm

Has anyone bought or heard the Leroy Sibbles cd reissues of "Strictly Roots" and "Now"? How is the sound quality, and are there any extras on the discs?
mghifi

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:17 pm

I recall that Jah Bill had a hand in these and that they are taken from pristine condition originals, so the sound must be excellent.

Two great albums and if I didn't own the original vinyl myself, I'd snap them up without hesitation.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:38 pm

not exactly "pristine" originals and leroy says they did some post-processing to the burns i sent him to master with.

im rather undecided on this...since i was involved i would very much like to say they sound great. however, im not so sure i can go that far. they do however sound at least as good as the vinyl did (in at least one case, thats not too great...kinda thin bass and some distortion) but they do sound at least very decent.

i would like to hear what others think about the sound quality.

i added some discomixes etc to the cds and some of those were kept on the released version.

the eagle-eyed (eared?) might notice that i extended the very very short dub version of one track (i forget which, i believe it was the last track on the second side of strictly roots) by about 30 seconds, which makes it clock in at about 1:45 now instead of the approx 1:15 it was, and that did make it onto the disk.

from memory, strictly roots contains the 12" version of "love and happiness" (the only tune on the original that appeared without dub version) and on now there were a couple of additions, none of which i recall the details of right offhand nor if they made it onto the releases (but i think at least one did).

on "on top" i added "new song" to the existing tracklist as well as the disco mix of "rock and come on"...the former was kept on the release but the latter was, i believe, deleted.

strangely ernie only seems to have "on top" in stock at the moment.

of the three, i think "now" is the weakest, strictly roots and on top are both top drawer in my book.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Xacto Metro » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:02 pm

Yeah, "decent" is a good description.
Xacto Metro

Postby skunkride » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info, Jah Bill.

[quote]i extended the very very short dub version of one track (i forget which, i believe it was the last track on the second side of strictly roots) by about 30 seconds,

How did you do that ? Copy & paste ?
skunkride

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:53 pm

it was "fm" skunkride, and magicians never give away their secrets.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:57 pm

ps: give it a listen and see if you can tell what i did...especially if you have the original release to compare to.

i believe its "life in the ghetto", the track name that is.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby ephteeay » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:07 am

maybe jah soon come?? dub i remember is aboput a minute long...

love and happiness isnt extended on the strictly roots LP.. but a 12" exists... dont know what you meant in your post.. maybe i didnt understand.
ephteeay

Postby jb welda » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:29 am

looking at the cd now, yes its jah soon come, clocking in here at a marathon 1:16, which is up about 20 seconds from what was on the LP.

what i meant about love and happiness is yes, carter van pelt supplied me with a cd of the micron 12" (that i had searched for for years) and thats whats on this release...i meant that on the original LP it was the only track appearing without dub version...

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Dadi Digi » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:30 pm

Isnt it funny how some artists obviousley dont have wax copies of there own material. I have seen this in a couple of instances now.
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby jb welda » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:41 pm

in my experience, its true (that the artists dont have copies of their own material) in most cases.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Return to General discussion