Seasonal Music

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Seasonal Music

Postby JT » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:01 am

My wife just requested Studio One's Christmas album while she and the daughter decorated the tree...it got me thinking...

One of the rarest of occurances is seasonal music that is not novelty music. #1 on that list for me is a Studio One 12" that a kind Londoner once sent me - credited to Jackie Mittoo, Pablove Black, Bagga and Devon Russell it is "After Christmas"...a record well worth seeking out.

#1 on my seasonal music list that is pure novelty - Run-DMC's "Christmas In Hollis"
JT

Postby Ekki » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:33 am

Both great songs, JT. Although I prefer "After Christmas"!
"Reggae Christmas from Studio One" on Heartbeat has some nice tunes, my favourite is "Real Christmas Rock" by Tenessee Brown & The Silvertones.
Another entertaining album is by Jacob Miller & Ray I "Natty Christmas" with "Deck the halls" as faovourite.
In the Novelty section I recommend "DR.Demento presents the Greatests Christmas Novelty CD of All Time" on Rhino.
Has immortal classics like:
- All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth by Spike Jones
- Jingle Bells by The Singinging Dogs
and other hits :P
Ekki

Postby Ital Dokta » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:00 am

#1 on my seasonal music list that is pure novelty - Run-DMC's "Christmas In Hollis"

Love that tune, and I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a novelty song either :)
Ital Dokta

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:48 am

I don't celebrate Christmas but would like to express seasonal best wishes to all who do.

Respect

Gordon

PS: If I DID celebrate Christmas then that Jacob Miller LP for Joe Gibbs would probably be my pick.
Anonymous

Postby JT » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:11 am

glad to hear there are other Hollis Crew members here. I still remember seeing that goofy Adidas and Kangol filled video for the Run-DMC cut.

Ekki, I agree that there are some nice moments on that S1 lp. Are there any other Tennessee Brown contributions to the S1 catalogue?
JT

Postby Fish » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:04 am

"After Christmas" is a favorite of mine, too (and as a rule I tend to be quite the Grinch about most things Christmas, especially when it comes to music), it's a great piece of music no matter when you play it. Another one that stands up to out-of-season listening is Gregory Isaacs' "Christmas Time Again" for King Tubby.

Then there's Dobby Dobson and Johnny Ringo's "Sweet Christmas" LP . . . a mixture of one or two tolerable Ringo tracks with some absolutely dire music.
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby Ringo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:07 am

I picked up a great digital Jammy's Xmas LP the other week. There's a Gregory Isaacs tune on there which is easily the match of his other 80's classics.
Ringo

Postby Dadi Digi » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:51 am

That Miller LP you refer to Gordo is the "natty Ismus" set with Ray I on the Top Ranking label. Have to agree with you ion saying that it is the best I have heard.

I just landed another Xmus LP on ebay, again on Top Ranking by the Fatman Riddim Section. It probably wont reach me till January !!
Dadi Digi

Postby crazydownbeat » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:04 am

"Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto"-James Brown is a corker :!:
C.D.
Proverbs 10:10 :wink:
crazydownbeat

Postby JV » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:14 am

Once again....
Clarence Carter: Back Door Santa. (Quote: I'm not like the old Saint Nick, he don't come but once a year...)
(I think this record was sampled on Run DMC's xmas song iirc)
JV

Postby Jackie Pablo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm

Christmas-A-Come / Eek-A-Mouse 12" (Greensleeves) / 7" (Thompson Sound)
One of the heaviest rhythms and reality lyrics you will find over a Christmas theme. One for the rootsmen!

and pressed way off-centre -
Christmas Jamboree - Sugar Minott 7" (Studio 1)
Jackie Pablo

Postby dirtweed » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:38 pm

"(santa claus" do you ever come to the ghetto" by carlene davis from the Yardstyle Christmas CD. also from that disc is "silent night" + version by the tamlins. two of my favorite christmas songs.
dirtweed

Postby dots69 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:21 pm

Reggae Christmas / GABLE HALL SCHOOL CHOIR / Trojan TR7881

pure **** !

though Cocoa Teas 'Christmas Melody' (Jammys) aint so bad

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby Liam » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:41 pm

yeah that Studio One 12" After Christmas is a killer. I will have to dig it out for a session I am playing at next week.

Also Xmas Time is Here - Luciano on Xterminator is a good tune, especially the riddim. but some of the vocals are naff.
[/url]
Liam

Postby Liam » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:43 pm

Yeah After Christmas on Studio One is a killer, I will have to dig it out for a session next week.

Xmas Time Is Here - Luciano on Xterminator is a good tune, nice riddim, but some of the lyrics are crap.
Liam

Next

Return to General discussion