Mikey Dread productions...what would you like on revive?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Mikey Dread productions...what would you like on revive?

Postby Anonymous » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:32 pm

a great show last night here in town, over 2 hours of plenty big tunes and some new ones dashed in. live horns make such a difference in reggae stage shows...

afterwards i was chatting to mikey on how i saw a copy of junior murvin's "badman posse" album go for big money on ebay recently, and mentioned that he should repress it since there could be some demand there, which then got me thinking...what tunes from his back catalog would you love to see on revive? not just in theory, but what would you buy? i'm going to contact him again soon and wanted to follow up with him on this topic as well. not much of his old productions are available and i suspect there's a market for them.

he was very happy i told him about it and said that he would only really want to press a few thousand of anything, should he decide to do this at all. but i thought that would create even more excitement (i know i buy up stuff if i know they might not be around that long).

maybe a edi fitzroy 10" or two since those are big these days? a few singles with tubby or scientist versions on the flip (sugar minott, rod taylor, etc). personally, i'd love a repress of the earl sixteen album "reggae sound".

what would you buy up?

(oh, and i'll be sure to impress upon him to keep the old style labels!!)
Anonymous

Postby sid » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:45 pm

Hi Hotmilk i would love to see mikey dread's back catalogue repressed i don't have many of the original 12" singles only break down the walls so i would love to see most of these repressed i'd certainly buy them all :)
sid

Postby Dr Sleeper » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:30 pm

For 7"s, my votes would be:
Jumping Master (Mikey Dread)
Love The Dread (Mikey Dread)
Proper Education (Mikey Dread)
Bright & Beautiful (Sugar Minott)
Badman Posse (Junior Murvin)
Reggae Sound (Earl Sixteen)

For 12"s:
Jumping Master / Break Down The Walls
Warning / Death Squad

"Love The Dread" and "Barber Saloon" have both been re-released as Black & White 7"s. Maybe a few 10" EPs with 4 DATC 7" titles would be easier for Mikey to press and a better deal for collectors.

Mikey tells me that he was able to pull a fast one on Trojan and that he hopes to re-release the Dread At The Controls LP on CD on DATC in the near future. I remember asking him how soon the Earl Sixteen Reggae Sound LP was going to be re-released, but I forget the answer - I think he's still working out the details with Earl.
They have used guns to spoil the fun and force tasteless music upon the land. (Prince Buster)
Dr Sleeper

Postby Anonymous » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:58 pm

nice one, mick. i agree with you on your selections, no doubt. had similar thoughts in regards to the 10" thing going on now. put a few 7"s on one 10", charge $10ish, watch the collectors snatch them up. i thought that putting both rod taylor's big 45s for DATC complete with the tubby dubs, both 7" sides on one 10" side, would make a killer way to get them on wax.

i picked up both those black & white 7s you mention, nice to finally get those (too bad "love the dread" is a double a-sider). very good news he's working on the earl sixteen album! (and even better news that he's interested in paying earl for it!!!)

break down the walls is huge!
Anonymous

Postby ephteeay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:25 am

more money to be made on 10" definitely.. but i much prefer the 7" as format....or 12"s. dont know why .. i think i got put off by everyone putting out 10s (all the 'gold' label things, clocktower etc......) and with a 7 you get exactly what you want if you want it! you dont have to pay 10 $ for having only one side

the rod taylor 7"s / 12"s are great..
a very good one i have is earl sixteens mister dj 12" (vocal followed by 2 versions (side is over 10 minutes long i think) b/w an extended tune over reggae sound riddim... gilly buchanan "ghetto youths"

"45 revolutions per minute if you spin it"
ephteeay

Postby Dubac » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:34 am

Dr Sleeper wrote:For 7"s, my votes would be:
Jumping Master (Mikey Dread)

For 12"s:
Jumping Master / Break Down The Walls

Dread At The Controls 10" DATC-T1-01
Side A: Mikey Dread - Roots and Culture/Jungle Signal
Side B: Mikey Dread - Jumping Master/Masterpiece

--
Dubac

Postby skunkride » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:29 pm

Earl Sixteen - African Tribesman / Mikey Dread - Butter 'Gainst Sun
Ovationz - Forever Love
Ovationz - Shy Girl
Gilly Buchanan - Ghetto Youths
Mikey Dread - Roots Man Revival
Mikey Dread - Heavy Weight Style
skunkride

Postby crazydownbeat » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:58 pm

Mount Zion-Sunshine and The Radix 12" on the Burial Rhythm (original cut?) is my fave DATC tune
Proverbs 10:10 :wink:
crazydownbeat

Postby Anonymous » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:43 pm

The Jumping Master riddim album would be nice.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Dave Home » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:51 pm

'Warrior Style' was my favourite Mikey Dread 12" with a really heavy rhythm and great (Scientist?) mix. It would be nice to see that repressed on 10" or 12" with the original vocal (was it Earl 16?) and second dub on the other side.
I agree with re-releasing the two Rod Taylor tracks 'Behold him' and 'His Imperial Majesty' back to back on a 10" or 12". Dave Hendley did just that some 27 years ago on a Sufferers Heights 12" complete with awesome dub mixes.
Another killer Mikey Dread production that really deserves a repress is Hopeton Lindo's 'Black History' complete with Jammy's excellent dub mix.
Dave Home

Postby vasceri » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:19 pm

<Earl Sixteen - African Tribesman / Mikey Dread - Butter 'Gainst Sun >

This was pressed as a Sufferers Heights 12" also, love the Butter 'Gainst Sun track

One love
eric v
"Lend Me the 16"
vasceri

Postby jb welda » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:36 pm

only thing i can think of that is really missing in action is the dub catalogue album(s)...i forget if there is more than one but i have at least one volume (the original?) and its great, and whats better: no cheesy sound effects and girls purring "ohhh i just LOVE that dread"...

those sufferers heights 12" were fantastic but i think theyve been reissued one place or another before...

>pull a fast one on Trojan

yeah, we will see how that works out. trojan/sanctuary didnt get where they are by letting "fast one"s get by them.

i really dont get this attraction to bad man posse...i think that one just goes on and on and on in a very dry style. imo the cover is the best thing about it.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby tim p » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:48 pm

i really dont get this attraction to bad man posse...i think that one just goes on and on and on in a very dry style. imo the cover is the best thing about it.

I quite like it but I wouldn't claim it's the greatest thing ever.

If I remember correctly there are 2 different 12" issues of this. A straight one with vocal and dub and a more wild one with Mikey Dread chatting and more sirens etc.
tim p

Postby jb welda » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:54 pm

>If I remember correctly there are 2 different 12" issues of this. A
>straight one with vocal and dub and a more wild one with Mikey Dread
>chatting and more sirens etc.

i was referring to the LP but i do have one of the singles you mention, thought it was the only one. from what i recall it was exactly the same as the album cut though the version side might have varied somewhat from what was on the album. but that variation was more of the same...

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby tim p » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:05 pm

OK my bad...
I assumed you were talking about the single as Mistah Sleeper had mentioned that earlier in the thread.
tim p

Next

Return to General discussion