King Tubby / Yabby You Question

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

King Tubby / Yabby You Question

Postby uncleB » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:17 pm

need help to ID a tune from the lp - Time to Remember Vol 1 - theres a track "Jah Mercies" (wicked flute instrumental)

Is there a released vocal cut? Did this ever come on a single?

any help appreciated!

respects
uncleB
uncleB

Postby ephteeay » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:02 pm

not of much help.. i havent heard the lp you talk of.. but would like to recommend a compilation called "PROPHECY" ( ? ) with some great yabby you tunes... with flute..(tommy mccook?) and some dubs of these can be found on a sly and robbie ??/yabby you ??meets tommy mccook ?(on wln label..) i really dont remember the title of that dub LP...

i wonder if i have serious memory problems.. im sure of things until i think again.. and then i reread what ive written .. and add question marks because it seems all wrong to me the second time i read them.
ephteeay

Postby skunkride » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:11 pm

yes uncle B - would check this track when i'll get home - from your description it sounds like "Jah Over Me" that appears on the "Prophecy" LP that Eph mentioned, killer album indeed !

BTW all (or most) of the Yabby U cuts from "Prophecy" LP AND their dubs appear on the bootleg Yabby U LP "African Queen" (released on Clappers i think).

Later...
skunkride

Postby skunkride » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:12 pm

OK... just checked & it's indeed "Jah Over I" from the "Prophecy" LP. Don't think it ever got released on a single & it doesn't appear on the "African Queen" LP - probably only on 'Prophecy". same mix as the one you have is also on "Yabby You Meets Sly & Robbie Along With Tommy McCook" mentioned above by Eph & on the Peacemaker label "Dub Sounds Of The 70s" CD...great great tune & instrumental version ! Love the flute & the great bass work...
skunkride

Postby uncleB » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:23 pm

gentlemen, big thanks!

a mystery solved!

respects
uncleB
uncleB

Postby wareika » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:50 pm

Regarding the Prophecy comp, can anyone tell me when it was released and on which label?

I found a copy of this good comp last week on a label with no name but called WLN I think. The label is white and blue. There is a nattydread with a spear on the left part. I remember reading somwhere tha this label issued some YY material circa 83. Any infos?

wareika
wareika

Postby skunkride » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:11 pm

Wareika it seems to be identical to my copy (bought new few years ago) - cat. number WLN LP002 (on the label) / YULP 002 (on sleeve). This is the only issue of this LP i ever see/heard of.

This label (WLN) issued various Vivian Jackson productions, mostly LPs - i think that in some stage they started bootleging Yabbys music & released records without paying him so he stop dealing with them. UK label i believe. BTW who is that Clive Plummer sharing production credits ? I see his name here & there in conjuction with VJ productions.
skunkride

Postby wareika » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:38 am

My copy is the very same as yours but I bought it second hand. I don't know when it was pressed but I found on the web 82 as recording date. Even if I have no proof, I think it may be an early 80's press, cause I dn't see it often.

Regarding Plummer, this name is linked with Yabby You and Wackies material. On the YY he is credited as producer. On the Wackies LP it is credited as drummer for at least the Love Joy's Showcase. I didn't find more info.

wareika
wareika

Return to General discussion