Help with Dennis Brown ( 1970’s ) Discography Website

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Help with Dennis Brown ( 1970’s ) Discography Website

Postby xraymusic » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:41 am

Thanks to all BAFfer’s in the last year or so, for info, advice and support in putting together this discography.

http://xraymusic.co.uk/index.htm

This is only a 1970's (1969 - 1982 ish ) discography and the framework is in place but there are many gaps / omissions so please keep the help coming. Apologies also to all the non-broadband users as the pages are too big to browse comfortably at present….
xraymusic

Postby 3pan1 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:25 pm

nice site xray !
still have to figger out how it all fits and works but it has a good feel to it,
will certainly get back to you with some info :idea::idea: on tunes

when will you start the Tubby on 7" list :arrow::shock: ?
3pan1

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:28 pm

Welcome back to the board Rox.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby 3pan1 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:35 pm

:wink:
3pan1

Postby Ringo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:10 pm

Good work on the site, I know this has been a long labour of love, nice to see it.
Ringo

Postby ian » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:22 pm

That's a great looking site, full of info and dub versions etc, which I always find helpful! Great stuff!

I have one Joe Gibbs comp that I didn't see listed on your site that features a DBrown version of the Melodians 'Come On Little Girl'. Here's the link to it on the Roots-Archive site...

http://www.roots-archives.com/release/2759/highlight=Dennis+Brown+-+Come+On+Little+Girl

I've yet to go through the 7" lists, but I know I'm gonna find a treasure trove of info on there, so cheers in advance! and also it seems to be working fine on my dial-up connection..

Cheers
Ian
ian

Postby dots69 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:31 pm

as above, excellent site, and the latest addition to my favourites !

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby xraymusic » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:23 am

Cheers everyone.

3Pan1 - To be honest, I've been too freaked to start on the King Tubby singles - how many hundred must there be? Everywhere you turn there's a Tubby Dub but I've only written a few down so far....

Will add that comp Ian & good to hear about the dial-up success. 8)
xraymusic

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:41 am

Very nice site! Although a Tubby's version side discography is obviously a daunting prospect, even a beginning of an attempt to establish and document which of the engineers (Tubbys/Jammys/Smart/Scientist) mixed each version side would be a very useful reference . . . You'd need to get a lot of people with really good ears on the case, though!
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby ephteeay » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:34 am

ive got big ears. i dont know if that helps.
ephteeay

Postby wareika » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:40 pm

Great site for sure.

It is not really additions but some details.

My copie of "Just Dennis" on Observer label (Ja) has a Trojan laminated cover with a "made In Jamaica" sticker on back cov. The mat is the same as the Trojan one (TRLS 107) with addition of "FRM" after the matrix. Mat is hand written whereas the UK press has "mechanical written" matrix.

I have a Ja copy of "Deep Down" with a totaly different label compared to yours. Mine has a white/yellow checked label and a black printing (with the classic Obs label design). Matrix are "GUSSIE 1010 A/B". The back cover has also differences. Actually it don't have the writting on bottom. After the "Recorded at", "Engineer",..., "Distributed By: Observer Records, Kingston" infos, there is only one sentence: "Distributed In jamaica By" and nothing else. Last info it has: "Lithographed in Jamaica by Stephenson". My copy was certainly an exported one cause there is no stamp for local distribution but there are "VP records & the NY adress" stamped on label. Yours seems to be a US/Canadian one. Didn't know there was to different press.
last, the "So Long Rastafari" LP on Harry J is a reissue of the "Deep Down" LP. You should perhaps add this info? I assume you knew that detyail.

Regarding the 12" & 7", there is a 12" I didn't find: "Why Fool" (Thompson Sds). This one is a DEB prod, but it appears on Thompson Sds in Ja. Don't know on which label appeared the 7".

There is also a prerelease of the "Promised Land" 12" with only title and artist stamped on the label.

wareika

PS if you want pics of some labels, just send me a personnal message. i'll try my best.
wareika

Postby ian » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:18 pm

A couple of additions to the 7" & 12" list.

Dennis Brown - I Hope We Get To Love In Time (DSR 2431-A Errol T Records 7" 1977) version is called Timely Lover by Mighty Two

Dennis Brown - Live And Love b/w They Fight I (GRED 191 Greensleeves 12" 1985)

Cheers

Ian
ian

Return to General discussion