Who can help me out on this blank label dub LP.

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Who can help me out on this blank label dub LP.

Postby JA Son » Sun May 20, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi,

For years now I do have this blank label dub LP in my collection. I found it in a plain white sleeve, so I don`t have any information. Up till now I never found out the title of this release. Who is able to help me out here.

This is what I got:

Blank label / quality of label and vinyl look like a UK pressing / I estimate it somewhere mid eighties.

matrix; GGLP 0023 A - 1 / GGLP 0023 B - 1
A side has 5 tracks - B side ; 4 tracks

I am convinced this release is a Linval Thompson production. I do hear some dub version with "six babylon" lyrics. The voice sound like Linval Thompson. The other version I recognize is the dub of "you gonna be sorry" from Freddie McKay. This is the version to his vocal track that came out on the "Tribal inna yard" LP, on the Move Label (MVLP6). This album is produced by Linval Thompson and Delroy Wright. So it could also be a Delroy Wright related album??

Well: Help me out here.

Best regards,

JA Son
JA Son

Postby swedon » Sun May 20, 2007 9:24 pm

Can´t help You with a title, but would suggest that it´s possibly Glory Gold-label.
swedon

Postby rastapopoulos » Sun May 20, 2007 9:24 pm

The only dub album on GG's records that I can think of is 'Roots Man Dub' from 1979 (GG 032LP), but that doesn't contain the versions you mention...
rastapopoulos

Postby T » Mon May 21, 2007 6:53 am

There's also the Dub album Three Dreads From Zion on GG's it has 9 tracks, but my copy has a diffrent Matrix: GGR 0011

And it's definately not Linval productions on it
T

Postby JA Son » Mon May 21, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks for thinking.

First thing that popped up in my mind when I saw the GGLP matrix was of course the GG label from Alvin Ranglin. But most of the time that label use the GG matrix and not GGLP. I am aware ot the dub LP`s on that label, I have those in my collection. Besides it is definitely no Alvin Ranglin sound.

Concerning the Glory Gold. I tried to track down that label too. I didn`t find anything like a dub album, with that matrix.

Sorry for you guys I don`t have sound snipes avaible. That would make it easier. But thanks so far.

JA Son
JA Son

Postby matty-j » Wed May 23, 2007 1:24 am

There are several UK GGs LPs that use the GGLP prefix, so I should think that was the one.

I'm really clutching at straws here but wasn't there a Ronnie Davis cut of 'You're Gonna Be Sorry' That came out on a UK GG's 12" produced by Manzie Swaby ?

Matty
matty-j

Postby JA Son » Wed May 23, 2007 6:06 am

Matty,

With several UK GG LP`s you mean the Alvin Ranglin GG label? There is also a Freddie MCKay LP on GG`s. But the he "you`re gonna be sorry" track is for sure the version of the Freddie McKay track from the "Tribal inna yard" LP. I compared the riddim tracks. By the way; there is also a version of the "Lonely man" track from that same album on the LP. All other tracks are from different vocalists, or strictly instrumental. I am still interested if somebody know more about the first idea of the Glory Gold label. I hardly find information about that label. There is a linval Thompson vocal LP on that label. And I am aware of some sevens and 12`s on that label. Who knows more.

JA Son
JA Son

Postby swedon » Wed May 23, 2007 10:27 am

Yes JA Son, it´s a tricky one.I really needed to be vague when suggesting the Glory Gold-label as I don´t know much about it myself. But let´s just say there´s potential for both labels :D ..as...Linval has featured on A. Ranglins GG-label as both producer and singer. He has also done this both on Glory Gold and Delroy Wrights Live & Learn-label. Glory Gold-lp with Linval singing is - Rescue lover (GGLP002) - produced by Colin Sampson. ..and speaking of Sampson, Linval produced Freddie McKay - Gonna be sorry (Strong like Sampson 12"). Freddie McKay on the other hand has released tunes for both A. Ranglins GG-label and Delroy Wrights Live & Learn-label..one´s clutching at straws.
swedon

Postby JA Son » Thu May 24, 2007 9:03 am

Sorry I am vague; yesterday I listened again to all the tracks; this is what I found out:

Side 1:

Track 1:
Lyrics snipes: When ???? (guidance) comes to you; with the lying was not true, and you pass them by, pass them by // All girls that I needed in this world; you are the one for me // La la la la la la; I love you.

Track 2:
Lyrics snipe: Only one more day I give you my sweet baby.

Track 3:
Is the dub version of "you`re gonna be sorry" / Freddie McKay, from the "Tribal inna Yard" LP

Track 4:
Is the dubversion of "Lonely man" Freddie McKay, same LP as the other track.

Side 2:

Track 1:
Dub version of "Six Babylon" - Linval Thompson.

Track 2:
Lyric snipe; Like you want to push me out of a job..

Track 3:
riddim is "Lady in the starlight dress" If that`s the proper track name. I know the riddim as "Starlight dub" on a the High Note LP - Medley dub. This is an modern early eighties version.

Track 4:
Strictly dub, no vocal snipes.

Maybe this will help????
JA Son

Postby JA Son » Thu May 24, 2007 9:05 am

Sorry;

I missed a track on side one!!

Track 5:
Lyric snipe: A la la la La Baby.. (2 times)
JA Son

Postby Mr B » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 am

From those lyric snips

Side one track one is Linval Thomspon - La La means I love you

Side two track two is Linval Thompson - Mr Boss Man

Both of these tracks came on 12" singles
Mr B

THanx!

Postby JA Son » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Mr. B,

Thanks for your info; at least I am sure most trakcs are Linval Thompson tracks. I still have no clue about the album. But actually it doesn`t matter; it`s a great album to play anyway!

JA Son
JA Son

Postby jb welda » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:07 am

i faintly recall a dub album of tracks linval released on his strong like sampson label, of dub tracks taken from various 12" singles he released on the same label. in fact didnt motion release something like that as "phoenix dub"? not sure any of this has anything to do with a dub lp with matrix containing GG but thought i would throw it out since it seems like some of these tracks anyway were linval productions on strong like sampson.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Return to General discussion