Only one turntable - Sound Systems - why?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby tim.p » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:10 pm

Selektah Twice came on a bit strong so I understand your comments RMS. He did have apoint though if you check what some people were saying before hand. My comment about 20 old geezers was aimed at StepDubStep who was saying he didn't want non-reggae people in the dance (or at least thats how I read it).

At the end of the day it's all music - I'm not interested in critisising either style. As long as it's done well it's all good.
tim.p

Postby russ d » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:14 pm

one for all you top turntablists !

Disciples on Bandcamp: http://russdisciples.bandcamp.com/

Facebook: russ disciple

Twitter russ disciple: @russdisciple

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sargantbrown
russ d

Postby Roman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:16 am

Respect to all serious soundmen who plays on one deck, but I still don't understand why only one and not two decks... First of all... I wasn't raised in soundsystem culture so this thread is extremly intresting to me... ...Even if you play on 2 decks you can always leave gaps between tunes if you want to... I think that two deck style gives a selector more freedom... Like to be or not to be... Or to mix two tunes into one or not to mix... I am really looking forward to hear Selektah Twice' mixtape of old roots tunes... You were talking about BPM, but many many many many many old roots tunes never go with the same BPM in the begining of as in the end... The BPM changes... One good example... "Jah Jah Voice Is Calling (extended version)" by Peter Broggs... I prefer pullups or the stop button to mix different riddims...
Roman

Postby arty » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:37 am

You might need 2 turntables to produce a mixtape for us Selekta, but we don't go to a soundsystem dance to hear mixing, so 1 is enough.

if you're playing in a club to people who aren't there especially for the music, you can't have a gap between tunes or people are going to go get a drink/sit down or whatever, so yeah, use 2.

This thread is about soundsystems though, many of the people who go are generally there for a different reason - they ain't gonna go sit down as soon as a riddim stops - usually nowhere to sit anyway.
arty

Postby rez » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:41 am

at least as early as 1985/6 JA sounds have been mixing tunes on one riddim anyway... mixing different riddims since late 80's/early 90's then....

so sound system history has plenty of people mixing reggae.

Without disrespect to anyone I used to go sound dance in Dublin where the selectors mixed off two decks, but in a one deck style, if you know what I mean. Play the full tune to the end, let the silence descend, maybe used the siren or have the mc say something and then go into the next tune eventually.

This style used to bore me to tears. Towards the end I found it unbearable. Selector has got to keep the vibes in the dance going. At the very least they should be able to drop tunes in at the end of one, preferably they will do it at an appropriate time in one tune, or mix proper like Fatha Twice.

Reggae mixing isn't like techno.... we're not talking about having big 60 second overlaps of one tune on top of another with eq etc.... no what it's all about is keeping the flow of the dance going... next tune mix in on time and keeps the beat going, dancers keep dancing, girls keep bubbling....

To me the one turntable style KILLS the vibes.

But that is me, and has often been pointed out there are very definitely 2 separate sound system traditions/cultures, certainly in the UK. There is no reason why we all can't respect what each other does and just agree to differ.

What gets to me is the high-brow attitude that if you mix (which to me is done to please the crowd, build a vibe) you are some sort of egotist who is placing yourself above the artist/musicians on record. Or the attitude that you are not following the real sound system tradition or whatever.

sorry for the rant ;)
rez

Postby ephteeay » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:56 am

i agree with rez! even though it kinda depends on what youre used to. if shaka played with 2 TTs, youd probably laugh at those who played with 1 hohoho :o

with 2 TTs, you can set the volume to be same as the tune before, you can set the right rpm (many make mistakes from what ive heard!) / bpm ..

and saying 'why would you want to make two tunes one' is like saying theres no point for extended 12"s.
if two tunes are mixed well (without letting one play over the other, just getting it in at the right time) you can make custom 12"s while playing out.. and nothing beats a nice 12" imo!! i often take 2 copies or an LP & a 7" to mix the dub with the vocal when im playing out..

also, i wouldnt talk during a set unless i was playing for the radio... in strange countries where theyre not used to one TT, theyd think its very strange/funny to hear a dj playing with one..

i respect the one TT massive.. its not that easy to do either - how many amateurs wouldnt know when to lift the needle .. you need some coordination to do whatever you do, siren, flip the record over etc..

it was a nice experience seeing aba a few months ago.. first time i ever see anything like it! but i dont think id ever play with one TT - it wouldnt suit me! id flip a 7" over during a set, but wouldnt play one TT a whole night!
ephteeay

Postby DUBAHOLIC » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:09 am

Russ them decks are wicked!! the technology of today is amazing when they on sale??? lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
DUBAHOLIC

Postby arty » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:38 am

no rez, if you don't appreciate the quick break, it's probably because your sound ain't heavy enough. :wink:
arty

Postby arty » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:39 am

probably the case in "strange countries where theyre not used to one TT" aswell eph.
ho ho ho.
arty

Postby FitZ » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:11 am

As an half part of a sound (Gangunguru Sounds) I would say it's a long time story what this thread is about....We use to play one deck since a moment now & there is not a dance with people asking us why we play one deck...
So First, never forget that 2 decks cost twice a deck (& a proper deck not cheap)...But here it's a choice 'cause we'd better like buying PA gears & stuff instead of a second TT. & What we feel important & necessary when playing is whenever it's possible play the version after the vocal...here it's all about singers & player of the instruments..so that you need to flip the plate and there 2 decks is not needed..You could have 2 copies of the tune, but when you grab original tunes from the vaults it's not that cheap too...
Gangunguru Hi-Fi since 1998
FitZ

Postby JahVice » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:29 am

For jiggy jiggy dance i prefer two turntables but.. As pointed earlier in this thread, if the sound is heavy and selection is up to the time with the sound - its allways good to have few moments of rest between the tunes. Its easier to dance and crowd gets more excited and socializes with each other..
JahVice

Postby michael » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:08 pm

when sound use only one turntable i guess they don't use a mixer???? or do they? , could this help to get a clearer sound from a heavy system?
michael

Postby rez » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:21 pm

michael... if you use a good mixer it's not gonna make much of a difference (a turntable has to go through a phono pre-amp anyway so a good mixer can be regarded as a fancy phono pre-amp with more options...)

Fitz I hear what your saying but a turntable costs a few hundred quid... sound system costs thousands and thousands to put together... so to claim that people who use one turntable on their heavy sounds do so to save money is a bit much I think.
rez

Postby FitZ » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:30 pm

rez, for the cost of a technics 1200 MK2 (standard Deck) you can buy something like 2 brand new 18" bass speakers...it's a fact...but somewhere you're true it's more than dunza...
Gangunguru Hi-Fi since 1998
FitZ

Postby rez » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:44 pm

yeah you can buy 2 18" DRIVERS.... not full speaker boxes, not amplifiers to power them...
rez

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion