Only one turntable - Sound Systems - why?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Only one turntable - Sound Systems - why?

Postby capullo » Wed May 31, 2006 8:00 pm

is there any particular reason for having only one turntable at reggae sound systems?

just curious

capullo
capullo

Postby tim.p » Wed May 31, 2006 8:16 pm

Tradition more than anything. Jamaican sounds started with one turntable mainly because the mobile discotecque 2 deck version didn't really exist at the time. This developed hand in hand with the mc or selector talking between tunes to fill up the gaps kind of like on the radio but pretty much a uniquely Jamaican invention in the way it developed.

Shaka (there I said it!) still does it and I've know Ska/Rocksteady people to work that way in the not too distant past too but I guess the modern thing would be to work with one CD player instead!
tim.p

Postby arty » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:29 am

On a very heavy sound it can be quite nice to have a few seconds break between tunes - allows you to breathe/speak/swig beer, etc for a moment.
arty

Postby zonard » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:43 am

Tim, the first JA soundsytem to use a double deck set was V-Rocket in the early fifties ;) but i assume it wasn't the main case of course.

I think 1 turntable only is better to proper introduce the tunes, moreover, the intros are fully played because most of time they are cut when "mixing" with 2 turntables.
What I like most in JA music is the tight suspension moment between the end of the intro and the start of the tune
IMHO no need to let 2 tunes play in the same time with reggae except for juggling sounds with tunes on the same riddim but it is not really my cup of tea...
zonard

Postby rez » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:54 am

IMO they are just stuck in the past it's just complete nostalgic rubbish...

all dj's should have 2 turntables/cd whatever and be able to present the music to people as they want. you can still have 10 minutes silence between tunes with 2 decks you know!!
rez

Postby arty » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:08 am

how do people want the music presented though rez - mixed together, or do they want to hear the intro? usually a couple of times.
so what do you actually need the second deck for?
arty

Postby JM » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:27 am

if you play the tune + version on B face for example your 2nd turntable is useless....
JM

Postby rez » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:36 am

arty wrote:how do people want the music presented though rez - mixed together, or do they want to hear the intro? usually a couple of times.
so what do you actually need the second deck for?

well sometimes mixed, sometimes the intro... me personally I don't want to have big long silence between tracks... one tune ends I like the next to drop straight away... yes and pull up (if one gets the forward for this of course)...

but basically the second deck should be there so the dj has the option to play in whatever way they want. I guess for some sound it isn't required but that wouldn't really be something I'd check for... except maybe Shaka who is "in a class of him own" as the song say.
rez

Postby tim.p » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:48 am

On several occassions there have people play one deck style at Tighten Up. I've no real problem with it but you HAVE to be talking on the mic while your queing up - otherwise you loose the atmospehere and most of the audience with it.

I'd always prefer to play on two decks - you don't want to hear me talk on the mic, trust me - but can't say I'm that concious about cutting intro's off tunes. It's more of a case of getting a good flow without interuptions/silences.

This stuff will become increasingly redundant as people play more and more on CD I guess. How about 1 Ipod??
tim.p

Postby rez » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:59 am

sorry arty reading my first post again... the "they" I used was meant to be the dj, i.e. 2 decks so the DJ can present the music as they want (to the people)...

wasn't trying to say people want it one way or the other know it probably sounded like that.
rez

Postby rez » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:02 am

tim.p wrote:This stuff will become increasingly redundant as people play more and more on CD I guess. How about 1 Ipod??

not sure what you mean tim... u can still have the 2 cd decks VS 1 cd deck arguement...

interestingly with serato and final scratch you can actually just use 1 turntable and mix like as if you had 2 (once you drop a tune you can switch the input so the deck now controls the other channel and the tune you dropped continues to play as normal). Not that it has anything to do with it just popped into my head.
rez

Postby Digiman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:41 am

I always prefer to play from 2 decks, cause it's good to change tunes quickly. but anyway I play tunes strictly from thier start/intro, and often do some short pause between tunes when I want it. I'm also always play with my mixing deck, I have auxes and siren on it - so if sometimes I need to play b-side/dub of the same record, I just send last chords of a-side tune to aux (delay/echo) and while it's delayed - I'm change side of record. Effects/siren is also good between tunes.
Anyway I think one deck it's not a problem too, especially if you plays with good micman
Digiman

Postby jahkob » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:50 pm

I think one deck is best fitting when playing on a sound system where you play in the UK roots manner which uses very hard bass. Having attended sessions like these you will be quite glad they dont have 2 decks because it would simply be too much. But 2 decks otherwise works fine when playing in clubs or soundsystems not presurring the bass to the max. See me?
. . . live good and good shall come to you . . .
jahkob

Postby mike turner » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:27 pm

I recently was invited to play at a club and when we turned up there was only one turntable.

It turned out to be a daunting task!

Every second counts and it seemed to take forever to get a next song playing. Even though it was a matter of 5 seconds usually you could feel the energy leaking out of the room. And longer delays are deadly. It took a lot of concentration to get the mechanics right and I can't imagine talking to the crowd at the same time. Impossible for me.

So hats off to Count Matchuki who by all accounts managed the single changer system with grace and style!
mike turner

Postby DUBAHOLIC » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:57 pm

i love love the one deck style!!! but as some one say its nice to have a break hear the crowd the vibes!!! reggae sounds leave the 2 decks to house, drum and bass!!!! aba shanti i southend 2nite 1 deck style!!!original
DUBAHOLIC

Next

Return to General discussion