Reg Dwight's Piano Plays Pop

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Reg Dwight's Piano Plays Pop

Postby Dubac » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:40 pm

So a friend of mine says earlier today "I haven't got much reggae myself - probably just Elton John singing 'Young Gifted and Black'"

Say What???

But it's true - on an album of the above title.

Sounds excruciating; I'll bet he managed to pour real passion into those lyrics :roll:

Has anyone heard this version and, if so, is it as dreadful as the image it conjures up?

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Anonymous » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:50 pm

Nope and don't think I want to either!! :D

Are you anywhere near Leeds Dubac? If so get yourself along to the Highwood Hotel in Moortown tomorrow for CC's dance and I'll shout you a pint!

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby ian » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:17 pm

Sadly, yes I have...I think it was recorded when he was still Reg Dwight and making covers for the compilation market.

Danny Baker has played it on his radio show along with other oddities such as David Bowie singing Penny Lane in a Liverpool accent, again for a covers compilation, and Daffy Duck singing Yesterday!!
ian

Postby crazydownbeat » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:19 pm

ImageImageC.D. (no comment necessary)
Proverbs 10:10 :wink:
crazydownbeat

Postby Dubac » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:15 pm

Gordon,

Thanks for the invite, but no - I'm not Leeds based.

Been there five times now I think, and all during the day on business. But always made sure meetings finished by 2pm at the latest; that's how I got to know the Indie record stores :P

By the way, when I was up in Newcastle last month, I was guided to Steel Wheels(?) near the Haymarket down the little street at the side of Boots (I realise you'll know where it is already! - that was for the benefit of other readers.) I might be back again before Xmas, so is there anywhere else central I can check for vinyl - reggae or otherwise?

Cheers mate,

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Anonymous » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:29 pm

No probs!

As for vinyl in the Toon, the other top place is RPM on High Bridge, just go down Northumberland Street towards the river, cross over the main road, keep going for a bit and High Bridge is one of the little side streets on your right.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Dubac » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:09 pm

Ah..knew there'd be another place. Haven't got the Toon map here but I remember Northumberland Street, and "down towards the river" sounds like it's taking me back near to the station from St James Park or wherever they send me next time.

Thanks again, and I hope you all enjoy the dance over there tomorrow. Ain't no dancing licence where I play, but then again it probably makes no difference looking at my playlists!

Regards

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Ital Dokta » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:05 am

I stumbled across a 45 in the secondhand record bins the other day - Joe Jackson doing a cover of The Harder They Come I think it was (definitely a Jimmy Cliff song from that soundtrack, anyway). Anyone heard this? Didn't pick it up but I imagine it might possible be worthwhile...
Ital Dokta

Postby crazydownbeat » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:27 am

This was a big hit late 70's early 80's and yes not a bad version.
C.D.
crazydownbeat

Postby crazydownbeat » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:44 am

:oops: harder they come failed to chart but my brother had it!
C.D.
crazydownbeat

Postby Ital Dokta » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:16 am

cheers for the info, might have to grab that piece next time I'm there...
Ital Dokta

Postby charlie.reggae » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:26 am

My least favourite cover is Fitzroy Sterling's 'murdering' of Ken Boothe's 'Freedom Street' found (amongst other places) on Pama's Medium label comp. 'African melody' (PMP 2004, 1970).

How one Reggae artist can do that to another .... !

Reg Dwight's / Elton John's 'Jamaica jerk off', as covered by The Pioneers & Judge Dread !

Charlie Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Return to General discussion