Once more: Living Dub...

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Once more: Living Dub...

Postby Werner » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:55 pm

ok, I'm a bit confused... Just before the old board collapsed, the different mixes of the Living Dub album were discussed. I seem to remember that several people stated that there is of course the JA mix, issued on vinyl on Burning Spear's own label, and the US (Heartbeat) mix, but that there was a third mix, namely the UK mix, issued on a PRE LP. Well, I bought a copy of the UK pressing recently (PRELP 3, bought in 1981 by the orginal owner, according to a written note inside the sleeve) and to me it sounds like the exact same mix as the vinyl version I have on Burning Spear label. Can anyone repeat the facts for me one more time, please? :)
Werner

Postby informer » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:00 pm

i can't imagine they mixed it a 3rd time, so your mix should be the same
as on burning spear label. and that's the better mix imo ...

actually living dub 1 & 2 (original mix) are available on disc,
but separately released.
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:01 pm

Werner

Living Dub Volume 1 - PRE LP (UK) / BURNING SPEAR (JA)
Living Dub Volume 2 - BURNING SPEAR (JA)

both produced by Winston Rodney.

The Heartbeat issues were remixed by Barry O'Hare.
Jackie Pablo

Postby Dubac » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:05 pm

Werner,

I can't answer your question about the potential third version I'm afraid. But the original Burning Spear LP mix is also out on CD now. No bonus tracks or anything, but it might help replace a scratchy copy in some collections.

The digipak also lists musicians and other information that didn't appear on the earlier LP cover. Happy to repeat it here if anyone is interested.

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:14 pm

Hi Dubac
yes please, could you tell me more about L Dub 1 - original mix - what label is it reissued on, for a start?
Rob
Anonymous

Postby skunkride » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:27 pm

Amazingly just yesterday i bought the Spear LP on eBay for $6.99...

The CD edition of the original mix is called "Original Living Dub Vol. 1" on Burning Spear label (BM316) & is available from many online shops, even on amazon i think. Sound quality is very good (wheres my vinyl ?:)
skunkride

Postby Ekki » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:40 pm

And where's jah bill when we need him (to confuse us more) :lol:
Ekki

Postby Dubac » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:35 pm

Rob wrote:Hi Dubac
yes please, could you tell me more about L Dub 1 - original mix - what label is it reissued on, for a start?
Rob

That was my first attempt at using the 'Quote' option - hope it works...

Burning Spear - Original Living Dub Vol. 1 CD
Burning Music Productions

Children Of Today/Present/Associate/Jah Boto/In Those Days/Irie Niya Keith/Help Us/Musiya/All Over

(c) (p) 2002 Burning Spear BM316

MUSICIAN CREDITS

GUITAR: Chinna Smith, Ranchie McLean, Brinsley Forde, D. Kingsley, Donald Griffiths
DRUMS: Sly Dunbar, Leroy Horsemouth Wallace, Angus Gaye
BASS: Robbie Shakespeare, Aston Family Man Barrett, George Oban
KEYBOARDS: H. Lindo, L. Harvey, Michael Ibo Cooper, Courtenay Hemmings,
HORNS: Bobby Ellis, Herman Marquis, Vin Gordon, Richard Dirty Harry Hall, Rico Rodriguez and **** Cuthell
PERCUSSION: Winston Rodney, Uziah Sticky Thompson

Recorded at Harry J Studios, Kingston, Jamaica
Engineer: Sylvan Morris and at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
Mixed at Compass Point by Karl Pitterson and Benji Armbrister
Produced and Distributed by Burning Music Production
Arranged and Written by Winston Rodney
Published by Burning Spear Productions

[yawwwwnnnnn.....]

burningspear@worldnet.att.net
P.O. Box 130187 . Springfield Gardens Station . New York, 11413
Manufactured and printed by Disc Makers, Pennsauken, NJ, U.S.A.

... in case you missed it amongst all that, the Label is Burning Spear - almost identical to the LP except for the colours being different.

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Werner » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:05 pm

Dubac: I wonder how accurate the info in those liner notes is. It states that the mix was done by Karl Pitterson and Benji Armbrister, but I thought it was generally assumed that Sylvain Morris mixed the Living Dub LPs. Seems to me like the info in those liner notes might actually just be copied from the sleeve of the "Social Living" album (the vocal counterpart of the Living Dub album), which indeed states that it was mixed by Pitterson & Armbrister.

Informer: yes, until recently I hadn't heard about a third mix either, I first heard about it in the recent thread on the old board. At least that's what I understood from it, maybe I didn't read it properly. I would like to see a response from the people who participated in that thread, please! :)
Werner

Postby Dubac » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:27 pm

Werner,

Yes - you're right about the copying bit on the Living Dub Vol 1 CD. I've just checked and the credits down to the ones for the label are identical to those on the B&F inlay (but not the One-Stop LP). So they must have taken them from the B&F release.

Maybe I should have compared them before typing all of that out, but that's the way it goes sometimes! At least I covered Rob's 'what label?' question.

So all three original mix albums credit Sylvan as the 'Engineer' and the other two under 'Mixed by', but personally I don't know enough about the history of this album or the technical side of production to comment on the differences between the two roles. Sorry.

Dubac
Dubac

Postby wareika » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:54 pm

So, Werner, here are the few infos I have. First I don't have it, but I was told by different source that it is a different mix. This source are reliable. The point is that it is highly possible that it is a third one cause when Island issued the dub counterpart to "Marcus Garvey" they did a dub set and didin't collect the b-sides of the singles. I think that at Island thought that original reggae cuts were not adapted to the pop/rock market they targeted? Hence the addition of guitars and the differents mixes they released.

The full mat# is: LYN 8503-ISC & PRELP-3-A / LYN-8504-ISC PRE LP-3B

A shame, I have somewhere on my PC more details but I can't find them.

wareika
wareika

Postby Werner » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:26 pm

ok, thanks for the reply Wareika.
in this case I think your source is mistaken about the UK issue being a different mix. The LP I have is the one you describe (same matrix #) and I would say it is definately the same mix as the JA one, although I haven't compared them in detail. In fact, if I listen closely to the UK LP, although it sounds very clean and crisp, I can hear at the beginning and ending of songs that it was actually mastered from vinyl. What I mean is that the LP is very quiet in between tracks, except just before the start and after the end of each song, where you hear distinctive vinyl noise. So it seems that the UK issue might actually be mastered from a very good copy of the JA one.
Werner

Postby wareika » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:18 pm

Thanx for infos Werner. It is not the first time I receive wrong infos. I have the feeling, that sometimes providing wrong infos is a kind of collector behaviour...

wareika
wareika

Postby Jackie Pablo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:39 am

I have not listened to these LP's recently, but can tell you that originally Living Dub (Volume 1) first appeared on the UK Pre label prior to any Jamaican release on Spear's own label (unless copies arrived in the UK from JA without publicity).

It was around this time that the Pre label was signing up some top Reggae names like Gregory Isaacs (for 'Lonely Lover' & 'More Gregory').

One Stop Records then Island had issued 'Social Living' but for some unknown reason the dub album appeared out of nowhwere on the Pre label. It was around this time too that the Burning Spear UK label was setting up some licensing deal with EMI for the release of 'Hail H. I. M.'.

Prior to the release of 'Hail H. I. M.' I think a Burning Spear 7" & 10" were issued on EMI's Radic label. I can't remember the track details.
Jackie Pablo

Postby Werner » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:48 am

I have the impression that this record has nothing to do with the "PRE" label that issued the Isaacs, Far I, Ashanti Roy etc records.
First of all, the catalogue number does not conform to those of the records of that label (PRE X#). Also, this site dedicated to the Charisma/PRE label doesn't mention it: http://www.charismalabel.com/charpre.htm
Interestingly, Tapir lists the record under Island and actually includes an Island-like matrix number: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tapirs/ilps2lp.htm

About the question whether the UK issue or the JA issue was first: I am positive about the vinyl noise on my UK issue, that indicates it was mastered from vinyl. Another possible explanation for this, besides that it was mastered from a copy of the JA issue, could be that the dubs were first b-sides of 7"s that were used for the album?
Werner

Next

Return to General discussion