My first Ernie B's Purchase

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

My first Ernie B's Purchase

Postby ulua-bob » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:45 am

Having just moved from a place with an amazing reggae store (Lou's records in Encinitas-40kms north of San Diego) to a place with a very over-priced general record shop, whose reggae selection consists of UB40, Bob, and Sean Paul and Shaggy, I have been overjoyed to discover Ernie B's. SO Here is my first order:

7"- Admiral Tiber- To Jah I Pray (Brick Wall)
7"- Jahmali- Corner Stone (Clinch) ---What can I say I love Satta
Jackie Mittoo- Tribute to (Heartbeat)
Five Disciples Part 2 (Jet Star)
Carlton and the Shoes- Love me Forever (Studio One)
Lord Creator- Don't Stay Out Late (VP)
Studio One Story DVD etc.

So I am pretty stoked on this. :D
Who feels it, knows it!
ulua-bob

Postby Angel Gabriel » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:19 am

i remember lou's records..a friend of mine use to order their reggae for a while.."Studio One" Dave Allard-

I use to work at Off The Record in San Diego and I was their reggae buyer for about 4 years while I went to school at SDSU

great that you found Ernie B's..great service..I am going to try Dub Vendor next just to see how they are..

good luck with your purchases

gabriel

jah guide
Angel Gabriel

Postby Donovan » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:36 am

I've only been to Lou's once but I'll never forget it. I had heard it had an incredible reggae selection so on a trip to Disneyland I went an hour and half out of my way to go down there. When I got there I said "What the heck is this?" It looked like two mobile homes strung together on the beach! I went in and there was very little room inside. Dismayed, I asked where the reggae was and the clerk pointed to the middle of the store (trailer?). Well I must say they had tons and tons of reggae. I was really really impressed. I picked up Augustus Pablo's "El Rockers" on Vinyl, Larry Marshall's "I admire You in Dub" on vinyl, Prince Jazzbo's "Wise Shepherd on vinyl, and Naphtali's "One of these Days" CD. And I remember I saw Dayjah and the Disciples "Storm Clouds" which I didn't get and now I can't find a copy anywhere!
Donovan

Postby ephteeay » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:01 am

my personal experience with dub vendor:

emailed 4 times about if certain records are in stock.. they never replied.. so i called them.. they seemed very friendly and said "we'll send you an email this afternoon" .. (it never got sent..) and from what i know almost always things are out of stock... mailorder isnt their best thing... if you go over though thats a different story... they'll play tunes for you etc...

jah warrior (www.reggaemusicstore.com) is the best service from the uk from what ive tried...and you can see if the record is out of stock beforehand... (something all sites should have actually!!)
ephteeay

Postby ulua-bob » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:19 pm

Well, sounds as though Ernie's may the one for mail order instead of Dub Vendor. I'd love to go over there and check out the store, I have family in Streatham Hill, just with the dollar so weak, that won't be happening anytime soon!

Off the record in SD did seem to have decent reggae, I lived close to Lou's and unfortunately I was often eating ramen as my paycheck had mysteriously evaporated once I walked into the store.
Who feels it, knows it!
ulua-bob

Postby scarface » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:18 pm

i would love to buy from ernie b's or soundquake, brilliant stock all the time, sadly postage costs to uk are very steep for both!
scarface

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:27 pm

So you lost your virginity with Ernie B's?
Anonymous

Postby rez » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:29 pm

maybe scarfacen but with the high value of your poxy sterling currency at the moment it must still be worthwhile no?

depends where you are I guess if you can buy stuff in person or whatever.
rez

Postby PapaStalawatt » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:50 pm

I have to rate Ernie B's over any other mail order service I've used. Speed of delivery alone makes up for paying extra on postage compared with a UK store.

By way of comparison, it usually takes less than 48 hours for an order with Ernie B's to get from CA to UK - an order from Soundquake takes at least four days, and Dub Vendor can take up to two weeks (I could walk to London, spend a couple of days shopping and walk back in less time).

And Rez is right - the strength of sterling against the dollar means I can get 25 7s from Ernie B's for the same price as 15 from Soundquake, including postage.

That's also about 25 more than I can get in any shop in Newcastle...
PapaStalawatt

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:53 pm

Hahahaha so true about the Toon Papa S!!! :D

Have you been in that Alt.Vinyl place off of Westgate Road?

Big time rip off merchants - £15 for JA reissue LPs etc...

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby scarface » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:54 pm

true enough on that papa, were not exactly blessed on the record shop front her as regards to 7" are we? think steel wheels have a few but they are of the cheesy variety and rpm gets the occasional one in nevermind, at least alt vinyl has good lp's and roots2music have some as well now
scarface

Postby PapaStalawatt » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:58 pm

Also have to say, though, that apart from the time it sometimes takes to receive an order, I've never had a problem with Dub Vendor's service. They've been more than helpful whenever I've phoned or emailed. Although the odd thing in their catalogue can be out of stock by the time they process an order, they're usually happy to put it on back order and send it when they get new stock (plus, it's not as if things going out of stock is a problem that's confined to DV).

They're not always my first choice, but I'd particularly recommend them if you want 7s which are UK releases, or if you're just ordering one or two tunes.

Respect,

Papa S
PapaStalawatt

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:33 pm

Over many years Dub Vendor's mail order service was first class. That standard dropped when Noel Hawks was replaced and it never really recovered. Up to two (or more) weeks for an order? Ernie gets it together within days from the other side of the world, and the records are cheaper!
Apart from UK pressed items there is no contest.
Jackie Pablo

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:47 pm

i was under the impression that lou's, like amoeba, was essentially a retail outlet for ernies catalog. that is, they get 99% of their stuff from ernie. its nice to fondle the vinyl before buying but i rarely find anything i cant get at ernies in any record shops anymore...maybe (MAYBE) a couple used things but those have for the most part disappeared.

be sure to order shaggys stand up for your rights from ernie, though, im not kidding. commercial as he might be, he releases great stuff on 7" from my experience.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby trinitymlk » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:54 pm

I've got to send out respect to Ernie B. My sound partner and I have been purchasing wax faithfully from Ernie for years, and have never had a problem.
On the rare occasion that we get some Thompson SOund LP with no hole in the middle, or some heavy surface noise, Ernie will often replace the item with no question.
I am fortunate enough to live two and half hours from Ernie's warehouse, so I sometimes get my wax in under 24 hours!!!
I've never been inside the warehouse, but I like to think that he has a shaka-sized sound sytem in there to sample 7's.
Jah Bill claims that nothing that exciting is going on in, but I think he is just trying to keep it all hush hush. -MK
trinitymlk

Next

Return to General discussion