Scientist Dub albums

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Scientist Dub albums

Postby cap » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:04 pm

If I don't care much for "scientist meets the space invaders" or "scientist encounters pac-man" should I forget about buying "scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires"?

I ask because "rids the world..." is supposed to be the best but I was wondering how much better it really is. I have the other two on cd-r and found them pretty dull. Does Scientist get much better than those two?

And how does "Dub In the Roots Tradition" rate among his dub albums?
cap

Postby giab » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:07 pm

Dub In the Roots Tradition is fantastic
one of my fave B&F releases
scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires is ok, better than the others, but still only ok IMO
giab

Postby trinitymlk » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:30 pm

Definatley grab "Rids the World". It is my favorite of his dub LPs, and Scientist himself considers it to be his best. An absolute Must.

Dub in the Roots Tradition is a solid collection of his early dubs from the period when Tubby would let him come in at night and mess with with the master tapes around the studio.
He had not developed the signiture Scientist sound that is consistent on the later Greensleeves releases, which can only be described as something like a giant dub monster trodding through a forest knocking down trees (at least in my mind).

Some other quality Scientist worth grabbing:

WIns the World Cup
Kills the Millineum Bug
Showdown vs. Prince Jammy
trinitymlk

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:15 am

i think rids the world etc is ok but not really really great. i think big dub showdown on the other hand is topper top. get it and you wont regret it...thats coming from someone who thinks the pac man release etc were way too dry and uninteresting. compared to them, rids the world...is very good and big showdown is killer.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:40 am

Rids the World etc. is killer imo...I haven't heard most of the other Scientist albums except for the B&F which I also enjoyed. Dub Landing Volume 1 is another good one to look out for.
Ital Dokta

Postby benja » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:30 am

I think Scientist's Heavyweight Dub Champion and Heavyweight Showdown with Jammy are the two best. The Dub Landing I also seem to recall as good. Scientific Dub seems to be more Tubby like dubs, maybe Scientist's first attempts?

The "Heavyweight" ones are primarily early Junjo produced tracks of Barrington Levy's early era vocals with Scientist giving them the dub treatment. Go for those first!!!
http://www.algoriddim.org
benja

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:34 am

Another vote for Scientist vs Jammy Big Showdown LP here - one of the all time classic dub albums IMO.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby ephteeay » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:33 am

i agree with benja//

heavyweight dub champion
big showdown

but best of all and unfortunately unavailable is dub landing!! great mixing on introducing scientist "the best dub album in the world"..also unavailable if youre not rich.

Cap said:
If I don't care much for "scientist meets the space invaders"

the only thing wrong is i like all of them.. meaning if i didnt like scientist meets the space invaders i wouldnt like any scientist album (from the grel releases) i guess...(encounters pacman has the least best riddims as a whole.. but nice dubs!! ) eek a mouse - do you remember", viceroys "cant stop us now" DRUM CRASH GALORE.
ephteeay

Postby scarface » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:50 am

i think rids the world is a great set personally, buy it!
scarface

Postby skunkride » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:18 pm

"Rids The World" is one of my 2 favourite Scientist sets (with Dub Landing Vol. 1) but if you didn't like the "Space Invaders" set don't bother to check his other Greensleeves sets as they are roughly the same style !
skunkride

Postby Bilko » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:19 pm

Rids the World is a good album, well worth it for the cover methinks.
in every category my subject is version
Bilko

Postby Lord Dubious » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:00 pm

i have found "space invaders" to be a real grower. wasn't so into it when i got it, now consider it classic. "rids the world" is instaclassic, tho. don't hesitate. but then, i'd tell you to just buy all those greensleeve releases. the covers, the riddims, the mixes.....crucial set!

i can certainly vouch for the roots tradition set. "dub it to the top" is pretty good, as well.
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!
Lord Dubious

Postby charlie.reggae » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:55 pm

A list of some Scientist albums previously released:

BLACK ROOTS LABEL:
~ Ghetto-ology Dubwise - LP, BRLP 2000E, 1980 (also thought to be King Tubby's last album he mixed)
BLOOD & FIRE:
~ Dub in the Roots Tradition - CD, BAFCD 012, 1996
CLOCKTOWER:
~ Heavy metal Dub - Scientist / Prince Jammy's / Barnabus / Brad Osbourne - LP, BM 141, 1990
~ Scientific Dub - LP, BM 147, 1990
BURNING SOUNDS:
~ Dubbin with horns - CD, CSBD 560, 1996
~ King Tubby's meets Scientist at Dub Station - CD, CDBS 562, 1996
~ King Tubby's meets Scientist in a World of Dub - CD, CDBS 561, 1996
GREENSLEEVES:
~ Big showdown at King Tubby's - Scientist Vs Prince Jammy - CD, GRELCD 10, 1991
~ Scientist - Heavyweight Dub champion - LP, GREL 13, 1980
~ Scientist meets the space invaders - CD, GRELCD 19, Re-issue 1998
~ Scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires - CD, GREWCD 25, Re-issue 2001
~ Scientist wins the World Cup - CD, GRELCD 37, Re-issue 1994
HIT SQUAD:
~ Scientist upset The Upsetter - LP, HS1 LP
JB MUSIC:
~ Introducing Scientist - The best Dub album in the world ... - LP, JBLP 004, 1980
JET STAR:
~ Scientist at King Tubby's .... - CD, RRPRCD 7, 2000
MUNICH RECORDS BV:
~ Jah Thomas meets Scientist in Dub conference - CD, MRCD 1001, 1996
TROJAN:
~ Scientist & Jammy strike back ! - LP, TRLS 210, 1982

Charlie Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Return to General discussion