irene good night - maytals ?? good or bad?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

irene good night - maytals ?? good or bad?

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:00 am

anyone know this one?

just curious cos irene is my girly's name!
thanks.
ephteeay

Postby Dadi Digi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:18 am

Irene goodnight
Irene goodnight
Irene goodnight Irene but I will see you in my dream's !!!

skabadoo skabadoo,,,,,BIG BIG chune for real !
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby Dubac » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:49 am

This one :!: :?: :idea:

No other song is so deservedly associated with Lead Belly's commercial success as a song writer. The irony of his commercial success is that he found none while alive. Goodnight, Irene was the number one selling song of 1950, and it hit number one only six weeks after Huddie Ledbetter died. Pete Seeger helped popularize the song with the group The Weavers. They were the first group to record it. ...........Check out other songs in the songbook.

John Lomax, in 1935, said that someday everyone in America would be singing this song. He did not make claims like that all the time. He said that he saw hardened convicts weep while listening to Irene, Goodnight. As to its origins, John Reynolds, a long time scholar of Lead Belly and an advisor to the Lead Belly Society, has found its origins in a mixed race songwriting team from Cincinnati, Ohio. Huddie said that he learned it from his Uncle Tyrell Ledbetter. A song with this title and in 3/4 time may have been performed for a few years in the late 1800's.
This song is in 3/4 time, as is another of Huddie's commercial successes, "Where did You Sleep Last Night" (Black Girl). All the world loves a good waltz, I think that the 3/4 meter soothes the human soul.

Chorus
Goodnight Irene, goodnight
Goodnight Irene, goodnight
Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene
I'll see you in my dreams

Sometimes I live in the country
Sometimes I live in town
Sometimes I take a few notions
I want to jump overboard in a river and drown

[chorus]

One night I got married
Now me and my wife settled down
Now me and my wife are parting
I want to jump overboard in a river and drown

[chorus]

...had no idea Toots & the gang had covered it though! Is it an obscure 7" or on a compiliation?

Dubac
Dubac

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:54 am

ephteeay

Postby Pluto » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:20 pm

I have the Pete Seeger version and a recent Dr. John re-make of the song. Here's what Dr. John says about the song in the sleeve notes:

Not many folks know it, but this little classic was written by Leadbelly when he was doing "double life" at the Angola Penitentiary. The way I hear it, the Governor of Louisiana liked the song so much when he heard the hit recording by the Weavers, that he gave Leadbelly a parole. I think it's a real fittin' that somebody supposedly on death row walked out of Angola for writin' one damn song. On the other hand, we had a governor who won election for writin' one damn song: "You Are My Sunshine" (Jimmy Davies). So it kinda tells you something about Louisiana politics.

Toots has also covered "Take Me Home, Country Roads", so this doesn't seem a very surprising choice for a cover. Btw, ephteeay I don't know about the Maytals version, but this is a major-key song...
Pluto

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:56 pm

His cover of "Take Me Home Country Roads" is a classic. Toots manages to take a middle-of-the-road country tune and turn it into a gospel meets reggae stormer.

One of those singers who could recite the phone book over a backing track and make it sound good.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Ras Berry » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Kelly Joe Phelps does a good version of it on his "Shine Eyed Mister Zen" album
Ras Berry

Postby cap » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:12 pm

Speaking of Angola penitentiary, there's a very similar story that occured there in the late 1950's. An inmate named Robert Pete Williams was serving a life sentence for murder when he was discovered by a couple of ethnomusicologists doing some field recordings.
They released a couple of albums by him and after much pleading and sending album copies to the Louisiana Governor, Robert Pete was released in 1959 after serving 3 1/2 years.
Strict parole conditions kept him from leaving Louisiana until 1964, the year he played the legendary Newport folk festival along side Skip James and Son House. Skip making his first public performance after being "rediscovered" only weeks before in hospital with cancer by John Fahey.

Robert Pete Williams made some of the most original, personal, intense blues there is. His sense of rhythm is completely unique in the American blues tradition, in fact he'd be best compared to African guitar players. An obscure player but well worth checking out if you like that sort of thing.

His albums on Arhoolie are great, recorded at Angola Prison, you can hear birds or crickets or something chirping in the background as he sings about prison life. Eerie stuff.
cap

Postby tim p » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:56 pm

It's a Ska tune from around 1962 with an R&B feel that was typical of the time. The other side Six And Seven Books is actually the bigger tune.

That copy for sale dates from the early 70's I think.
tim p

Return to General discussion