The Tennors

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

The Tennors

Postby Dadi Digi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:53 am

A Phase One 12" called "Fret not thyself". Anyone familiar with this record ?
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:13 pm

not the terrors?
ephteeay

Postby Dubac » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:43 pm

Yep, almost certainly "Assemble Not Thyself" by The Terrors on the B&F Chantells & Friends' Children of Jah CD; I have the original Phase One 12".

I suppose there might have been a separate 'Fret Not Thyself' song by the Tennors, but I don't think they were around in the Phase One era?
Dubac

Postby Dadi Digi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:55 pm

Apologies, yes Dubac, you are correct. It is indeed the Terrors. Is it a good track, extended 12 version etc ?

Cheers
Dadi Digi

Postby Dubac » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:17 pm

Dadi Digi wrote: Is it a good track, extended 12 version etc ?

Cheers

Buy the CD and find out for yourself mate. And help make B&F a lickle money at the same time :wink:

Actually I'm not at home right now but I can say for sure that the 12" is a vocal plus dub, with another (perhaps shorter?) dub on the B-side. There ain't no DJ on there.

I don't want to get too technical about small details, but I think this one, as with most, is very slightly different to the version on the 'Chantells & Friends' CD. But not by much.

Our hosts could probably confirm or deny it, but my guess would be that both Roy Francis and the B&F crew used the original 7" vocals and dubs to put together their extended versions. Two people doing this on separate occasions are unlikely to produce exactly the same result, which is why I think the differences I noticed were mainly where the vocal cuts across to the dub.

Then again, as I said I'm not at home to check - so that may just be the outpouring of a defective memory.

BTW one thing I am sure of is the way the backing track on my original Waiting In The Park 12" swings across to the left channel, whilst the DJ vocal is heard exclusively through the right-hand one. Everyone else says their copies don't do this!

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Dadi Digi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:28 pm

CD dont ramp man. Strictly wax in my parlour. I landed the 12" on ebay and was wondering what it was up to.

I to have the Chantells 12". I must check out that voice seperation you mention. Cheers
Dadi Digi

Postby Pluto » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:46 pm

According to the sleeve notes on the "Chantells & Friends" disc, "Assemble Not Thyself" is taken from the original 12-inch single version. Only "Send Another Moses", "Jah Jah New Garden" & "Path I Have Taken" are made from A & B sides of the 7-inch singles.

This "Assemble Not Thyself" tune is the dog's bollocks, as they say :wink:
Pluto

Postby Dadi Digi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:48 pm

Cheers Pluto, I aint heard it so I am now looking forward to it.
Dadi Digi

Postby Dubac » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:04 pm

Pluto wrote:According to the sleeve notes on the "Chantells & Friends" disc, "Assemble Not Thyself" is taken from the original 12-inch single version.

This "Assemble Not Thyself" tune is the dog's bollocks, as they say :wink:

Fair enough Pluto, I was probably thinking of some of the other Phase One singles.

And sorry for missing the most important bit DD - "Is it any good?"

Yes it certainly is! It's very percussive, especially on the dub, and I think it's slightly different to the usual Phase One sound. But not in an inferior way - just like sometimes you get a track on an album has been recorded in another studio so the atmosphere's a bit different.

The only reason I didn't go mental on it when the CD came out was because I already knew it so well. I have just one remaining old C90 mix tape of reggae played by John Peel (RIP) on his 1977-78 shows, and this one is on there.

That reminds me, I'll have to dig it out and ask the Baffers (in a separate post) for help on the tracks from that tape I still haven't identified 27 years later!
Dubac

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:04 pm

it seems to me this was issued at least twice on 12", because i did some transcription of lyrics for it and it turned out there was a slight difference between the 12" i was using and what was in b&f's hands. very slight lyrical difference at at least one point and i believe it was steve barrow who pointed out i must be listening to a later 12" than the original they evidently had. phase one was kinda funny this way.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Dubac » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:10 pm

Thanks for that Jah Bill; every time I think I might be going mad somebody comes to the rescue!

I also seem to have a Phase One variant of Paul Powell's 'Gena' that was on the Motion set. I tend to regard mine as "The Christmas Mix" due to the added ingredient of a sound like sleigh bells.

...now if only somebody else could hear that channel separation weirdness on 'Waiting In The Park', I'd be completely in the clear...
Dubac

Return to General discussion