DKR & Bond Export new releases - March 2012

Please announce your new releases here.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Forum rules
Please announce your new releases here.

Re: DKR & Bond Export new releases - March 2012

Postby RB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:21 pm

i hear what you mean at 0:16, i dunno what that is, but that's the way the song is. could be it's a very slight drop out on the tape?
to be honest i have never noticed that until now, so to my ears that is beyond negligible.

i know i've said this before and to me it's so obvious that it doesn't need to be said (let alone bear repeating), but the sound clips are low bit rate samples and they're meant only for people to actually hear what the tune sounds like...they are not intended to be any barometer used to gauge the fidelity of the finished product.
RB

Postby Rootsman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:09 pm

There are a couple of seconds of music missing as the skip jumps the song forward. It could have been easily corrected by cutting and pasting a tiny identical part in rather than putting it out with the skip.
Gal alone tek off my underpants
http://www.johnbolloten.co.uk
Rootsman

Postby RB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm

RB wrote:it's cut straight off the master tape, no tampering. whatever you hear is how it was committed to tape.
RB

Postby edgar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 pm

there are some more parts missing in the dub of separation.. either it was unfinished back in the days or someone messed up back in the days thus no original release.

Nevertheless much respect for all the work and effort..and no disrespect intended
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby crimson flames » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 pm

yeh absolutely no disrespect intended. I still think its a great song!
Perhaps it is negligible, but its most certainly noticeable. As Rootsman said there are literally about 2 seconds of music missing and the groove gets skewed as it it misses a few beats. It's obviously a case of some sloppy editing in the studio back in the day.
I bought the record for the killer Truths and Rights version on the flip side!
Keep up the works RB! :D
crimson flames

Postby j j » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 am

Yes that Come Along/Truths & Rights is bloody good C Flames :wink:

RB is there any chance you will be doing more I Roy's? Do you have access to all the tracks that are on the Musical Shark Attack LP?

cheers
j j

Postby RB » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 am

j j wrote:Yes that Come Along/Truths & Rights is bloody good C Flames :wink:

RB is there any chance you will be doing more I Roy's? Do you have access to all the tracks that are on the Musical Shark Attack LP?

yes, and yes.
RB

Postby j j » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 am

Allllright this just gets better & better, cheers RB :D
j j

Postby tweeter box » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:46 pm

big up RB some nice releases there, that second lost at the start of seperation could possibly be selotape where the tape has been rejoined but this could only be confirmed with a picture

quick question, the vocal sounds crisp and consistant but why does the version sound like it has been played with so much parametric, the tops are very loud and not EQed correctly, you can also hear a slight crackle in the background which is very consistant which reminds me of a crackle in a record at every rotation, could a parametric have been used to raise the tops frequency to cover the crackle? also the BPM of the vocal is different to the dub, could the "mastertape" have stretched :lol:

why do your releases get so much negative feedback and have some many things wrong with them yet you still release them? im not having a go at you jus asking after all this is a forum !

is it possible for somebody to upload short soundclips with no eq of the vocal and the dub pls?
"your style is unorthodox but effective, it is not the art but the combat that you enjoy"
tweeter box

Postby Selector77 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:28 am

tweeter box wrote:big up RB some nice releases there, that second lost at the start of seperation could possibly be selotape where the tape has been rejoined but this could only be confirmed with a picture

quick question, the vocal sounds crisp and consistant but why does the version sound like it has been played with so much parametric, the tops are very loud and not EQed correctly, you can also hear a slight crackle in the background which is very consistant which reminds me of a crackle in a record at every rotation, could a parametric have been used to raise the tops frequency to cover the crackle? also the BPM of the vocal is different to the dub, could the "mastertape" have stretched :lol:

why do your releases get so much negative feedback and have some many things wrong with them yet you still release them? im not having a go at you jus asking after all this is a forum !

is it possible for somebody to upload short soundclips with no eq of the vocal and the dub pls?

Maybe its just me, but I surely won't scrutinize an unreleased tune too much. The alternative is never hearing or not knowing of their existence.
Nah Roll The Rock, Nah Sniff The Cocaine
Selector77

Postby RB » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 pm

backhanded post of the year there. hilarious.

ironically, there actually are pictures of lots of mastertapes on our facebook page, but they're only there because i think they're cool to look at, not to prove anything to anyone.

that's actually a good suggestion, the 'blip' in separation being a bad splice. however, that's not the case b/c i have the tune from two different master tapes (identical mix), and that blip is in both. it's something that happened during recording i'm sure, but i'm not knowledgeable enough to say what...some kind of tape lag or 'jump' i guess, dunno.

as i've already said, to me that miniscule flaw is negligible, especially within an otherwise almost-pristine straight-from-tape tune. i really don't know what to say to anyone who feels the record ruined by that, other than to each his own, and "bummer for you." sincerely, no sarcasm.

beyond that all i can say is that if you've spent time working with and listening to tapes from the 70s and 80s, you'll know it when you hear it. further, if you know something about how the music of this era was recorded, mixed, and cut (for vinyl and dubplate) in Jamaica, then you'll know what you're hearing even better. barring that, let's just say, "don't buy records you think don't sound good." some solid free advice there.

also, as if it wasn't obvious enough, the 'separation' vocal & dub are not from the same tape, so sonically they're not the same.

a little background on these tony tuff tunes, both of them were recorded as part of a (unreleased) Tony Tuff LP for Channel One. neither tune ever had proper dub mixes committed to tape, because they were meant as LP tracks. hence you get the Revolutionaries dub LP cut for 'come along'. the 'separation' dub is very obviously a '2-track' dub, which for those who don't know what that means, is a dub mixed from the final mixdown 2-track tape, where generally the finished/mixed rhythm is one track and the vocal on the other. so the only mixing that can be done off this tape is dropping the vocal in & out and putting effects on one of the 2-tracks - either the vocal or the finished rhythm (not the individual instruments, as would happen with a 4 or more multi-track tape). with dub cuts and/or instrumental tunes on 2-track tape, you generally find the drums & bass on one track, and the rest on the other, or sometimes, the horns on one track, and everything else on the other (common b/c horns are often 'overdubbed' - i.e. recorded after the rest of the tune is laid).

i find it hard to take the armchair expert criticism and conspiracy theories of a guy who doesn't even know how records are made...in a previous accusation, you made it clear that you didn't actually know what a mother or stamper was, and asked if we "edited" the stamper, a solid metal disc machine part, for the Freddy McKay 12". i think i will stick with the skills and advice of our mastering engineer who's been cutting reggae for longer than i've been alive and cut the masters straight from tape, for hundreds of records on some of my favorite labels like Jah Guidance, Volcano, Hitbound, Bebo's, Ruddy's Music, Black Victory, Eclipse, and on and on and on.

to answer your question about why do i keep putting out "bad quality records that get so many complaints", for the answer to that, i will refer you to the thousands of satisfied record buyers, and the NB on our website -

NB: In the production of these records, every effort has been made to utilize master tapes whenever possible. However, in some cases the master tape no longer exists or is in unusable condition. Therefore, some selections have been repressed from original stampers (where we felt their wear was not a major detriment), or have been carefully remastered from very rare but unfortunately imperfect original press vinyl copies. Even with a highly skilled and experienced reggae mastering engineer and the most modern audio soft/hardware, in some instances the results can still leave something to be desired, even for the most welcoming ears. In these cases we believe that the rarity, and more importantly, quality of the music will carry you through. Enjoy!

really though, if you think these records are bad and i'm a liar, just don't buy them.
RB

Postby Tweeter » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:59 pm

RB wrote:backhanded post of the year there. hilarious.

ironically, there actually are pictures of lots of mastertapes on our facebook page, but they're only there because i think they're cool to look at, not to prove anything to anyone.

that's actually a good suggestion, the 'blip' in separation being a bad splice. however, that's not the case b/c i have the tune from two different master tapes (identical mix), and that blip is in both. it's something that happened during recording i'm sure, but i'm not knowledgeable enough to say what...some kind of tape lag or 'jump' i guess, dunno.

as i've already said, to me that miniscule flaw is negligible, especially within an otherwise almost-pristine straight-from-tape tune. i really don't know what to say to anyone who feels the record ruined by that, other than to each his own, and "bummer for you." sincerely, no sarcasm.

beyond that all i can say is that if you've spent time working with and listening to tapes from the 70s and 80s, you'll know it when you hear it. further, if you know something about how the music of this era was recorded, mixed, and cut (for vinyl and dubplate) in Jamaica, then you'll know what you're hearing even better. barring that, let's just say, "don't buy records you think don't sound good." some solid free advice there.

also, as if it wasn't obvious enough, the 'separation' vocal & dub are not from the same tape, so sonically they're not the same.

a little background on these tony tuff tunes, both of them were recorded as part of a (unreleased) Tony Tuff LP for Channel One. neither tune ever had proper dub mixes committed to tape, because they were meant as LP tracks. hence you get the Revolutionaries dub LP cut for 'come along'. the 'separation' dub is very obviously a '2-track' dub, which for those who don't know what that means, is a dub mixed from the final mixdown 2-track tape, where generally the finished/mixed rhythm is one track and the vocal on the other. so the only mixing that can be done off this tape is dropping the vocal in & out and putting effects on one of the 2-tracks - either the vocal or the finished rhythm (not the individual instruments, as would happen with a 4 or more multi-track tape). with dub cuts and/or instrumental tunes on 2-track tape, you generally find the drums & bass on one track, and the rest on the other, or sometimes, the horns on one track, and everything else on the other (common b/c horns are often 'overdubbed' - i.e. recorded after the rest of the tune is laid).

i find it hard to take the armchair expert criticism and conspiracy theories of a guy who doesn't even know how records are made...in a previous accusation, you made it clear that you didn't actually know what a mother or stamper was, and asked if we "edited" the stamper, a solid metal disc machine part, for the Freddy McKay 12". i think i will stick with the skills and advice of our mastering engineer who's been cutting reggae for longer than i've been alive and cut the masters straight from tape, for hundreds of records on some of my favorite labels like Jah Guidance, Volcano, Hitbound, Bebo's, Ruddy's Music, Black Victory, Eclipse, and on and on and on.

to answer your question about why do i keep putting out "bad quality records that get so many complaints", for the answer to that, i will refer you to the thousands of satisfied record buyers, and the NB on our website -

NB: In the production of these records, every effort has been made to utilize master tapes whenever possible. However, in some cases the master tape no longer exists or is in unusable condition. Therefore, some selections have been repressed from original stampers (where we felt their wear was not a major detriment), or have been carefully remastered from very rare but unfortunately imperfect original press vinyl copies. Even with a highly skilled and experienced reggae mastering engineer and the most modern audio soft/hardware, in some instances the results can still leave something to be desired, even for the most welcoming ears. In these cases we believe that the rarity, and more importantly, quality of the music will carry you through. Enjoy!

really though, if you think these records are bad and i'm a liar, just don't buy them.

noone is accusing you of lying, ive never bought a digikiller release...yet, due to the poor quality of them, hence this thread, you dont see comments about other labels sound quality because they do things properly!

i wouldve thought threads like this and comments from disapointed reggae collectors wouldve made you buck up your ideas a bit but i guess your just in it for the money, its sad as i really would like to buy some of your releases but it wouldnt be fair to the vendors if i had to return a item because it sounded sh*t!
oh well :roll:

PRECISION SOUND SYSTEM.
Feeding the peoples needs for Roots Music.
Strictly premium grade reggae and dub steppers from the early 70's to present day.
Tweeter

Postby vital ital » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Plenty of talk here about other labels and the quality of sound johnny come lately, its practically the top 5 topic on this board...

v.i.
Bashment girl nah come cheap.
vital ital

Postby skunkride » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:21 am

tweeter box wrote:could a parametric have been used to raise the tops frequency to cover the crackle?

Just for general knowledge, if you want to reduce crackle you have to cut the high frequencies as boosting them would just make the crackle stand out more.
skunkride

Postby Tweeter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

skunkride wrote:
tweeter box wrote:could a parametric have been used to raise the tops frequency to cover the crackle?

Just for general knowledge, if you want to reduce crackle you have to cut the high frequencies as boosting them would just make the crackle stand out more.

it can be done quite easily if ur parametric is accurate and sharp enough to pin point the tops rather than the crackle ;)

just had a listen to the sample on blakamix website of seperation and the dub actually sounds ok, apoligies mr RB, but i would recomend you put better samples up on your page in future
PRECISION SOUND SYSTEM.
Feeding the peoples needs for Roots Music.
Strictly premium grade reggae and dub steppers from the early 70's to present day.
Tweeter

PreviousNext

Return to New Release Announcements