DKR new releases - Nov. 2011

Please announce your new releases here.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Forum rules
Please announce your new releases here.

Re: DKR new releases - Nov. 2011

Postby scarface » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 am

Also...have to agree with Deepselector's comment. I regularly pick up OG presses of tunes i already have on Repress-the original remains the original, could get repressed ten times and this would still be the case!
scarface

Postby Natty Matti » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Its easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a serious collector of rare and expensive og press roots reggae music to enter into the kingdom of God

On a more serious note though, this debate is endless but I understand both sides. Original is original, repress is repress. Too bad for those paying silly money for rare tunes just to see them repressed the next month but so it a go I guess. Still very nice to see this beautiful music widely(?) available once again and very good imho if some crazy prices on original press records drop a little.
Big up again DKR and keep em coming! :arrow:
Natty Matti

Postby DeepSelector » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Its easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a serious collector of rare and expensive og press roots reggae music to enter into the kingdom of God

this have to be one of the most ignorant affirmation on the B&F forum...

for the rest i may agree lol
Uday Shankar "Give the audience what they like before they know what they like"

http://www.youtube.com/rootikalist
DeepSelector

Postby Natty Matti » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:20 pm

DeepSelector wrote:

this have to be one of the most ignorant affirmation on the B&F forum...

for the rest i may agree lol

Haha, well its meant as a joke. Don't take it too serious! Also just find it a bit strange that a lot of this sufferers music exchange hands for so much money, that's all. But to each his own I guess. I for one can't affod to spend my money on expensive records even if I wanted to, but I don't have any problems with people choosing to do so. The one thing I don't buy though is the debate of music getting killed and "losing its magic" when available again. After all, this is a relatively small music and most of these represses are limited to a maximum of say, maybe 1000 copies worldwide. With selectors and collectors all over the world that doesnt seem so much to me.
Natty Matti

Postby DeepSelector » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:44 pm

happy to know it was a joke as sounded quite bad. A very intelligent correction is "To each his own"...can't agree more , expecially on those spiritual/ religious things :wink:

for the rest i may agree...just when i reach a roots session , i reach it with many intentions , have fun , stay with friends , dance a bit but also i reach to listen the music , look and understand how one is selecting , hope to be mashed down by a good roots tune...i suppose it's normal , expecially for someone who like this music and is into this world for years. I don't feel i just have to be content...don't care about those things.

Honestly if i reach a session and i hear the full digifiller set & last 2 years repress market...one after the other i may understand that dj is not doing an interesting research work (this music deserve a good dig , surface is not enaught)...that's all...and i will get bored fast as i will like the music for sure but i won't have much interesting surprises or tunes that hit my attention. Than obviously i may be hit positively by many other things but music will still be in the center of my attention.

I've been to filler sessions and to killer sessions...and i can feel the difference...musically talking.

honestly it can be seen also in the opposite way...i won't probably enjoy at all a selection of only 300£ tunes as i feel reggae is made by many smaller , much cheaper and similary good tunes. 300£ tunes may also be the surface of something.
It's full of those records around , on ebay and in shops...a good selecta to me have to be able to melt all those things in an equal way.
Last edited by DeepSelector on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeepSelector

Postby Natty Matti » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Also, what DKR and others do for this music is imho a cultural achivement, keeping the culture alive. They deserve endless praise for doing so if you ask me. What gets so tiresome for me though is this endless competition (which is also a part of this culture, I know) a A good tune is a good tune for me, no matter how rare or widely available it is. After all, its first and foremost about the music (and the message) innit?
Natty Matti

Postby DeepSelector » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:58 pm

they are surely making a good job , mainly for the artists. they should risk more to bring them back ina studio and give them new artistic life than just use the best they did 30 years ago...luckly there is some others who is working on this too , those people will have all my support!

But about archivement...well that's quite useless i suppose.We live in 2011 , almost 12 , and there is surely better methods to keep archives than press as you said 1000 copies of a 7''...youtube , documentary , mp3 (better if legit ones) and so onnnnnn

there is much more knowledge now than ever before but it's thanks to the many great reggae forums that create a point of meeting bewteen artists and people , people with real deep knowledge and the rest of the world...and many other worldwide projects like Roots Knotty Roots , sites like Strictly Vibes and many other things!

Records business is just business ( a bit reductive and too much pragmatic but mostly it's like this)

DeepSelector

Postby Natty Matti » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:07 pm

Agree to a lot of what you're saying. A good selector is varied and I also get tired of people playing the exact same tunes over and over again. That's also what you're seeing on a lot of (especially) digital mixtapes (and wants-lists for that matter) these days. People selecting more or less the same in-demand big money tunes that everybody want and hunt for. Not that exciting imo. A good selector could drop even the most familiar and easily available tune at the right time and make the roof fly off.
Regarding the "easier for a camel..." bit I just feel that these days its so much about dunza and those luckily(?) enough to be able to spend on music instead of, I don't know... feeding the family for example; i.e "rich people". I just dont love that, thats all.

i
Natty Matti

Postby RB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:53 pm

i would love to see any of the people who are against reissues because it "ruins exclusivity" and "deep selections" and all that to stand face to face with any artists or producers and tell them, "YOUR MUSIC SHOULD NOT BE MADE AVAILABLE AGAIN BECAUSE..." and tell them these reasons. you would either be laughed at, looked at like a crazy person b/c they can't even comprehend what you're saying, or in some cases probably just boxed down.

being all about legitimate reissues, wanting the right people to get paid, artists to get paid, etc. but then also having the above viewpoint, is talking out of both sides of your mouth to serve your agenda when it suits you, and to be self-righteous when it suits you. you want these people to thrive, but only the ones who made $5 records? lol.

anyway i already got a limo, on my way to a yacht, it's going to have a record room on it with shelves made of some rare brazilian wood, to house all my rare original press roots 7"s, which will be selected at my discretion by some young gyal in pure skin out bikini.

anyway, over and out, just some thoughts on a sunday morning (2pm is morning for us since we're in the club popping bottles all night off that BIG 7 INCH REISSUE MONEY)

one love to all di supporters dem and big up to all my haters
RB

Postby RB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:58 pm

also how ill is it that DeepSelector has put a parody of our name in his signature? total crazy person style. like one of those dudes on the side of the road with a sign that says "REPENT THE END IS NEAR"
RB

Postby StepDubStep » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Fred Locks lets get this over with. Post a list of your collection instead of taking every opportunity to stroke your ego and trying to win our adoration by name dropping from your superior collection of one off originals.
Me no skin teeth and me no play!
StepDubStep

Postby bullit » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:17 pm

ha. This is like a joke. Numerous records shops I have been in were 2 years back saying that their businesses were losing money and might have to close and then due to represses like this there has been a huge surge in the number of youth and others coming in and picking up records and tunes. This type of repressing is keeping the music alive and without it we'd be worse off. Exclusivity? as if the musicians who made the vinyl originally wanted a handful of wealthy to have the tunes and the have-nots to be unable to hear them.

Keep up the presses.
For my Wants List/Tune ID List/Recordings & More..

www.MonkeySounds.co.uk
bullit

Postby DeepSelector » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Dont get so vex RB , it's just a funny words game :) I'm on the funny side of things if you cant understand that.

I have explained without missing respect a point of view , if artist cant understand that it's up to them , i understand your point of view , their point of view and collectors point of view. As i'm a collector i hope i can still say mine and i feel i havent express and hate doing that :) and if your read in lines i have said that you are doing a good job under your point of view

You a bit paranoid or your boarder between love & hate is quite confuse.

Take care & relax dear RB

DeepSelector

Postby jps » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:54 pm

I'm thankful for these represses. I'm not in an area where there are many spots to dig for records nor do I have the money to spend on some of these originals and search for rare records. I'm also not a selector, just enjoy music in my home, so I don't need to worry about the whole exclusivity thing. Some of these tracks are new to me also, so it's great to discover them. I also like that the artists and producers are able to make some money again off of it since they don't see a penny of it if their record sells for hundreds of dollars on ebay.

Keep up the good works RB and look forward to all future releases......especially the previously unreleased material.
jps

Postby Jah_Wisdom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 pm

bullit wrote:Exclusivity? as if the musicians who made the vinyl originally wanted a handful of wealthy to have the tunes and the have-nots to be unable to hear them.

End of discussion I reckon :lol:
Who Jah Bless Let No Man Curse
Jah_Wisdom

PreviousNext

Return to New Release Announcements