Little Woccie - Computerized on Capital Radio-198?

If you have legal audio to share, post it here! Also, here is where you put your reggae radio shows.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Little Woccie - Computerized on Capital Radio-198?

Postby t-woc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Big tape find over Christmas! t-woc (aka little woccie) on Capital Radio London late eighties cassette recording, jam full of tough computerized riddims from the era! check out the rip of side A over on mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/t_woc/computerized-on-capital-radio-198-side-a-cassette-tape-rip/
-------------------------
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=mickalphabet
t-woc

Re: Little Woccie - Computerized on Capital Radio-198?

Postby t-woc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:31 pm

t-woc

Postby Andy G » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Tip Top T-Woc! Thanks for Sharing.
Andy G

Postby Werner » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:38 am

Nice!

About the dating: the mix includes Conroy Smith's "Dollar Van Ride" on the Joy Ride riddim, which I think only came out in '96?
Werner

Postby t-woc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Werner wrote:Nice!

About the dating: the mix includes Conroy Smith's "Dollar Van Ride" on the Joy Ride riddim, which I think only came out in '96?

Lol, serious pre release vibe )

Hopefully that's the only slip up date wise .. Big up for tuning in. :arrow:
t-woc

Postby t-woc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:18 am

Facebuk just reminded me that this is a year old so thought I should mention, as quite a few people i realize didn't twig it, that there was no Little Woccie show on Capital radio in 198?, i made this tape around last December.

I wanted to do a digital mix tape for a while but can't really compete tune wise with heads like copenhagen's firehouse crew, deadlydragon et all, who just live/breath digi raers and was listening to lots of old radio cassette rips at the time so thought i'd make a tribute to the 80s taped of the radio vibe, computerized riddims, crappy but addictive 80s ads i grew up with and squeeze in some giggles along the way.

Took me **** ages, months actually. Tracking down those extra few 7"s that had to be on it, mixing the set down onto a reel to reel, trawling through hours of 80s youtube commercials and radio mixtapes, mastering record pause dubbing on a cassette player and finding nice radio hiss on the little sister's hello kitty radio.

Unfortunately amount of work going into something doesn't always equal popularity and it kinda flopped, lots of people didn't get it, i think maybe some of the in-gags are a bit obscure but it was a vibe putting together so i moved on the next ting. Anyway here is a little guide to some of the Easter eggs on the tape....

Little Woccie was supposedly on Capital in 198?, even if it was 1989 that would probably have made me the youngest radio Dj in history at 14.

I got the slot through my uncle 'Ulich Wood'? (and his wife Fora Ward :) )

My man who taped the show 'Easy' never lived in Cockfosters, but he was born on the exact same day as me in 1977, which is how long Steelie & Cleevie say they've been working together since in the documentary before my show.

There is also a clip of the weather (this summer is going to be a scorcha), John Peel mentions later in the tape he is looking forward to his Festive Fifty Christmas show.

In the first ad segment (before the machines took over), the Clarks commercial talks about treating the kids right, which runs straight into Mystic's Youth Get tricked.

Shortly after the radio looses reception and tunes into a Tom Baker Doctor Who radio show which is actually a TV commercial from 1980 for the short lived Prime Computers company, the soundeffects turn up from this turn up all over the rest of the tape.

Stone cold classic Scotch Videocassette commercial is also a TV commercial (you might remember Archie the Skeleton - rerecord don't fade away) took me ages to get the fade away to distort each run.

Melle Mel sting for Mike Allen show, Mike Allen had just passed away when i made this, well worth tracking down the rips of his early hip hop and electro show on Capital called the Mike Allen show. RIP

The radio looses reception and ends up on another channel with Tim Westwood, pretty sure Westwood was on capital for the whole of the 80s (and back there today, cheesy as ever)

Kaos pad distinctive filter is pretty evident on the mix, the fx box wasn't invented till 1999

We get the results from Wembley, Alan Partridge's favourite Norwich City doing well.

Steely & Cleevie from the TV Doc again run the workings of the DMX drum machine, coincidentally over one of their own killer DMX cuts..

Back to back 80s commercial killers ' Allo Tosh got a Toshiba ' and the ' Ariston and on and on ', neither were radio ads. Dunno why i didn't put the Pato Banton version of alo tosh on, Fail. A lot of the other ads such as for Casio, Commodore are tv ads as well, we got the UK's TV growing up(S4C!) but not really its radio.

We lose reception again and treated to the Car's - Who's gonna drive you home, swiftly followed by The Dollar Van Man. . . Which as pointed out above wasn't released till 1997

Cheesy wine ad which alludes to infidelity 'is it because it is someone elses wife', couple trikster jamms after this.

And on and on and on

I actually submitted this as a sound design project to get into my masters in college in the end so wasn't a total flop, as i got it.

Finger on the pause button & keep it computerized -->
Big Woccie
t-woc

Postby t-woc » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:05 pm

t-woc

Postby nickus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm a roots fan.... Wicked mix, cheers for that, who's singing at 17min 07? can't rid of that!
nickus

Postby Werner » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 am

Echo Minott - Follow Me (Witty)

By my count he mentions his own name eight times in that clip :lol:
Wicked tune, btw!
Werner

Postby SteveT » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Finally got around to listening to this - nicely done. Great mix and worth the effort.

I remember a lot of those ads from when they first came on - funny to hear them again
SteveT

Return to Audio, Video & Mixes