Ricky Grant, R Zee Jackson and Monyaka (questions)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Ricky Grant, R Zee Jackson and Monyaka (questions)

Postby wareika » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:58 pm

Hi

Just came back yesterday from Divone (near Geneva) where I spent few days. Found some nice records there. Some are quite obscure. Any info on these artists and records would be great.

R Zee Jackson "Seat Up" (Culture LP). I had a nice 12" and I bought this LP for that reason. Quite disapointed with the LP but I listen to it only once so far.

Monyaka "Classical Roots" (Hevyaka LP). playing right now and quite good.

Ken & Stepping Tony "Sticks Man Affair"/ Rocka & Dave & Girl Wonder "Skip-A-Dip" (Rama 12"). I don't know who are these artists. A good 12" but I'm partial with Rama stuffs.

Ricky Grant "Poverty People" (Hungry Town LP). Does this LP has a cover? My copy don't and I can't remenber a cover for this Jam pressing.

thanx in advance

wareika
wareika

Postby Ringo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:27 pm

The Ricky Grant has a cover:
http://www.roots-archives.com/release/2054

Nice LP, under rated singer.
Ringo

Postby wareika » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Ringo, actually I saw the cov on the Roots Archive website before asking here. The point is that I never saw a copy of this LP with the cover. The cover on the web site could be the cover of the US press on the Island In The Sun label. perhaps your copy is on Hungry Town with a cover?

BTW yes a good singer. i aslo have his other album "I Love Rastafari" which is a good showcase produced buy Pablo.

wareika
wareika

Postby Ringo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:29 pm

OK, I have it with that cover, pretty sure it's on Hungry Town, but now that you've asked I can't picture it. I'll let you know if it's not on HT.
Ringo

Postby yellowdog » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:18 pm

I've got a copy of that R. Zee Jackson album Wareika...and if memory serves...you're right - one spin will be enuff. I don't remember much about it but I do seem to recall lots of rock guitar.
yellowdog

Postby ian » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:55 pm

No cover on my Hungry Town copy either and I seem to remember hearing before that this issue didn't have a cover but perhaps ringo can tell us different...

Cheers
Ian
ian

Postby Ringo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:57 pm

Wareika you were right, mine's on the US Island In The Sun label.
Ringo

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:24 pm

Seems like Hungry Town LP's (and their covers) were a bit thin on the ground.

Apart from Horace Andy's 'In The Light' I cannot remember seeing any others with a cover, although there must have been some.

Anyone know how many LP's came out on that label?
Jackie Pablo

Postby wareika » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:49 pm

Thanx Ringo for confirmation.

Jackie Pablo there is a A Pablo LP called "Chanting Dub With The Help Of The Father" which appeared HT with a cover so far I remember. The Andy's vocal and dub set also have a cover. I don't know if the "Rockers Inna Hungry Town" came out with a cov. Not a big catalogue for sure.

You are right Yellowdog about the guitars on the R Zee Jackson. Boring.

thanx all

wareika
wareika

Postby Olli Dublifter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:56 am

I think R.Zee Jackson is also known as Castro Pink, who is now involved in Kings of Kings record label.
Olli Dublifter

Return to General discussion