DEAR BLOOD & FIRE CREW

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby giab » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:45 pm

why doesn't B&F just press up loads of 7 & 12" singles that they have already licensed ?
might not make them millions, but some profit is better than none, right ?
giab

Postby informer » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:17 am

oops, a lot to read here .....

jb welda:

my problem with the auralux tubby's release:

of course they took the tracks and versions from singles,
that's something even i can understand.

but they could have put the dubs directly behind the corresponding vocals.

if i really want to enjoy this disc i have to program the cd-player so that
the dubs come straight after the vocals. now i think you get the point.

and now back to the expanded thread:

if it's all so difficult, why steve starts another dj only label ?

i can't imagine that dj sets sell better then any previous blood&fire release. just a thought.
instead of concentrating to keep b&f alive another label gets the input - why can't blood&fire release a general echo set or something else ?
i really have a problem understanding this step.
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:38 pm

informer wrote:
if it's all so difficult, why steve starts another dj only label ?

i can't imagine that dj sets sell better then any previous blood&fire release. just a thought.
instead of concentrating to keep b&f alive another label gets the input - why can't blood&fire release a general echo set or something else ?
i really have a problem understanding this step.

Without wanting to speculate, and not personally knowing any details myself, I think you kind of have to read between the lines on that..
Chocolate Soldier

Postby ragudave » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:05 pm

dom wrote:next release is in march, it's a compilation from Mick Hucknall of his favourite Blood and Fire tracks, lot's of dub. To mark 10 years of Blood and Fire.

no new signings as yet cos we're peppered and have no cash to license anything yet!

Some ideas....

How about some sort of B&F album or singles club to boost cashflow, increase brand loyalty et al.

Why not get some hip hop / turntablist type person to do a mix / compilation of B&F tracks? The Madlib mix / Mr Scruff compilations seem to go down well and introduce a new audience to the label.

To the B & F fans out there. Why not write a review of you fav album on the label for Amazon / other online retailer. I do guest reviews for a site (http://www.reggae-reviews.com/) so why dont you!!

Dave
ragudave

Postby Moses » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:09 pm

ragudave wrote:Why not get some hip hop / turntablist type person to do a mix / compilation of B&F tracks? The Madlib mix / Mr Scruff compilations seem to go down w soell and introduce a new audience to the label.

This has been done 3 (4??) volumes of remixes (Smith & Mighty etc.) so far - called "select cuts from Blood & Fire" by another compnay.

Marketing for it was very low profile but I presume they sold OK.
Moses

Postby His_Imperial_Measurements » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:35 pm

"Some ideas...."

Although B+F's original intention was to help some old Jamaican artists realise some cash for their efforts, it seems that these days the only people they're able to help are failed fat and forty British pop stars who are invited to trawl through the back catelogue picking out their favourite tracks in the vain belief that anyone is interested.

Inchpinchers
Chicken Merry - Hawk Deh Near!
His_Imperial_Measurements

Postby informer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:43 pm

harsh words.

but i can't argue really convincing against this statement ....
informer

Postby Pluto » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:50 pm

His_Imperial_Measurements wrote:"Some ideas...."

Although B+F's original intention was to help some old Jamaican artists realise some cash for their efforts, it seems that these days the only people they're able to help are failed fat and forty British pop stars who are invited to trawl through the back catelogue picking out their favourite tracks in the vain belief that anyone is interested.

Inchpinchers

Regardless of what one might think about Mick Hucknall's music, it has many times been said by the B&F crew that he had supported the label financially throughout the first years rather than gaining any profit from it. And if he wants to gain some recognition for doing so, he can quite rightly do it.
Pluto

Postby dom » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:11 pm

micks doing a comp for us for nothing, we're not paying him anything to do this as we've no money and it will generate cash for us.

I don't see it as vain, i think it's a good idea, maybe some of the simply red fans will be turned on to 70's roots & dub, certainly hope so.

as for mr. scruff doing a mix, this has already been talked about but at the time he was about to release a ninja tune mix cd, so he wanted to wait as has the idea of manasseh and daddy getting a mix done for us too.

I think these are good ideas myself, maybe all 3 on one disc selecting and mixing their favourite blood and fire tunes...

I'm also hoping to make a new track from sample taken Nuclear Bomb off the In The Dub Zone cd, hip - hop style for new rappers and older JA dj's to voice... maybe a 1 ryhthm lp featuring the best of old school JA guys and new school UK rappers...

what do you reckon?

U Roy & Ms Dynamite??

Roots Manuva & Trinity

U Brown & Rodney P???

all over a ru cut of baba boom...

Ranking Joe & Dizzy??

Dillinger & Black Twang???
dom

Postby ragudave » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:14 pm

Pluto wrote:
Regardless of what one might think about Mick Hucknall's music, it has many times been said by the B&F crew that he had supported the label financially throughout the first years rather than gaining any profit from it. And if he wants to gain some recognition for doing so, he can quite rightly do it.

I agree. I dont like Blur that much but Damon Alban's label (Honest Jons) seems to release some decent reggae and other material. I mean for all we know Tom Jones and Daniel O Donnell are massive dub fans.....

Dave
ragudave

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:32 pm

Supposedly Billy Idol is a big dub fan.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby informer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:36 pm

chocolate soldier:

congrats, the 100th reply !!!

billy idol, is that guy still alive ?
havn't heard about him in ages (not really missing ...)
informer

Postby ganja lion » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:37 pm

dom wrote:I'm also hoping to make a new track from sample taken Nuclear Bomb off the In The Dub Zone cd, hip - hop style for new rappers and older JA dj's to voice... maybe a 1 ryhthm lp featuring the best of old school JA guys and new school UK rappers...

what do you reckon?

U Roy & Ms Dynamite??

Roots Manuva & Trinity

U Brown & Rodney P???

Ranking Joe & Dizzy??

Dillinger & Black Twang???

now something like this would be niiiice. hearing Trinity and Roots Manuva together would be something...as would Ranking Joe and Dizzy. ya'll should really look into somethin like that.
ganja lion

Postby dom » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:52 pm

I'm on it.. we could do tour a world tour so to speak.. UK GUYS & JA OLDER GUYS

USA RAPPERS OLD & NEW (MOS DEF, KRS 1, RAKIM, MISSY ETC ETC) & JA GUYS

AISAN (JAPANESE, CHINESE, INDIAN ETC) & AFRICAN RAPPERS WITH JA GUYS

SOUTH AMERICA ETC

AUSTRALAISIA ETC

EASTERN EUROPEAN & RUSSIAN W/ JA

NORTHERN EUROPE W/ JA

SOUTHERN EUROPE W/ JA

CARIBBEAN W /JA....
dom

Postby His_Imperial_Measurements » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:55 pm

"what do you reckon?

U Roy & Ms Dynamite??

Roots Manuva & Trinity

U Brown & Rodney P???

Ranking Joe & Dizzy??

Dillinger & Black Twang???"

As a fan of most Jamaican music before 'Under Mi SLeng Teng' and not much after, I have to say I don't like that idea much. More importantly what do U-Roy et al think about having their work run through the mixer?

As this label has completly drifted away from my area of interest I shall bow out now, but before I do one final thought. If B+F are not able to remain successful in the area where Steve Barrow has his greatest knowledge and contacts I don't hold out much hope for you in the uncharted waters outside his area of expertise.

Inchpinchers
Chicken Merry - Hawk Deh Near!
His_Imperial_Measurements

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion