DEAR BLOOD & FIRE CREW

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Donovan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying things here, but why does B&F see themselves in competition with Trojan? 99% of the time they don't even deal in the same type of Jamaican music! Do you think B&F were ever considering releasing a Stanger Cole complilation but Trojan beat them to it? A Vulcans compilation? Phyllis Dillon? From what I see the labels have very little in common. I guess once in while someone might enter a store intending to buy a B&F and see a better deal on a Trojan release so they go that way. But come one, how often would that happen? It seems to me that the primary competition for B&F is now Makasound and Auralux. How come the B&F brass aren't targeting those labels and trying to "keep up" with them. That would seem to be the better immediate business model than thinking about what Trojan is doing.
Donovan

Postby Donovan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:29 pm

That should have been ... "rather than thinking about what Trojan is doing".
Donovan

Postby JV » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:36 pm

Well, peek-a-boo look who's fooling who, I was kidding about the BAF sound quality all the time. They are all great and sound better than anything in the business, reggae business at least.
They are all safe investments and will be future collector items.
Sorry about my prolonged joke. I was just testing if everyone believed whatever **** I happened to throw in public. I won't do it no more, I swear.
JV

Postby BMC » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:42 pm

Btw. For the 'unplayable for me' stuff I mentionned above I meant the McCook and DEB dub sets. The Dennis Brown has it a few tracks and the Joe also not as bad as the 'unplayable for me' ones. The first release I notice the sound-problem or should I say 'my sound-problem' :wink: was the DEB vocal release.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: Happiness Station - A 2017 Modern Roots Mix
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby jb welda » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:42 pm

i dont believe you, juha.

the genie is out of the bottle, its impossible to put him back in.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby JV » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:44 pm

It's a syndrome called false authority and everyone should believe their own ears (or inner voice whatever) and trust oneselves instead of listening to anybody in the Internet.
Last edited by JV on Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JV

Postby jb welda » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:46 pm

its also called:

i always lie and i never tell the truth.

am i telling the truth with that statement?

we now return to our normally scheduled programming...

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:53 pm

jb welda wrote:i dont think the "subscription" thing is a worthwhile venture...you will get 10 people to sign up and only 3 of them will follow through with money if my experience is any indication, and it will cost a lot of time and maybe money to administrate.

I would have said it would be much like selling t-shirts or CDs, just another product of sorts.
Aaron

Postby Ekki » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:31 am

Sorry guys, Dr.Sleeper ruined this thread for me. :cry:
Have to think about something positive I will post in the next days...

But I'm with BMC on the sound quality question:
the Tommy MC Cook sounds like Dom describes the Trojan albums - real flat!
Ekki

Postby Thunder Ghost » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:19 am

In an ideal world reggae would be getting a fair shake of the money tree - sampled all over, popping up on movie soundtracks and giving a new lease of life to the veteran singers and players careers and bank accounts as happened in the funk and soul scenes. But the reality is there isn't that much money in this corner of the music business, and even in their hey-day so many of the musical creators and instigators had to run from pillar to post just to put food on their table. Blood and Fire have done a great service to many Jamaican artists by seeing they get their reward as well as the producers, but it certainly adds a burden to upfront costs in getting releases out. Competing with Trojan for retail space has been discussed enough and since the problem is cash flow, wouldn't it be better to look more deeply into making new releases payable for download (and on vinyl for as long that stays on the up and up). Producers will have to accept a different payment system but ultimately if downloading is increasing then that has to be the way to go. One good thing might be that potentially releases via the web could actually be easier to organise and sell. What I'm getting at is that just like in Jamaica with vinyl, releases shouldn't have to tie up so much cash like you have now with thousands of C.D.'s sitting in a storeroom. Limited edition C.D.s might not be any more feasible but a download store could host a much bigger volume of music which plenty of us can't get enough of. Then all those obscure artists and various artist collections we hanker for would be possible to consider for release. Of course, the headache of dealing with all of the licensing and contracts remains. Apologies to all if this seems like a scatter-brained pipe dream. Like everyone else, I hope for many more quality releases from B&F (listening to Tree of Satta right now) and also wish to say thanks for some of the greatest reggae music I've got on my shelves.

P.S. What I can't fathom is how Makasound, Auralux and Pressure Sound can put out so much more than B&F these days?
Thunder Ghost

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:26 am

makasound:by not paying rights? (possibly the biggest cost in releasing something??)
ephteeay

Postby Arvid » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:08 am

My impression is that Makasound has tried their best doing everything according to the book, even for "Wanted".
Arvid

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:26 am

<Producers will have to accept a different payment system but ultimately if downloading is increasing then that has to be the way to go. One good thing might be that potentially releases via the web could actually be easier to organise and sell. What I'm getting at is that just like in Jamaica with vinyl, releases shouldn't have to tie up so much cash like you have now with thousands of C.D.'s sitting in a storeroom. Limited edition C.D.s might not be any more feasible but a download store >

This is a good point, it seems things are projected to go more and more in the download direction by the end of the decade..
At the moment though I think paid downloads are a tiny fraction of overall music sales..
Still - it gets the label away from paying for discs and shipping physical stock and all the noise of returns, getting paid by distros etc..
But also it gets more into a territory of single track downloads whereas the 'real' money is in albums..
But at the end of the day it all helps & if the public are into downloading crappy sounding (IMO) MP3 files for $ then thats where labels have to go..
More money for less work has always appealed to me FWIW..
And downloads require minimal cash outlay & time to set up (if a 3rd party is dealing with it like ITUNES et al) so thats gotta be good for labels...
Chocolate Soldier

Postby benja » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:31 pm

interesting topic...

Overall, I am really thankful labels like B&F exist and I have the highest respect for this label.

I compared the McCook set on B&F and CDR, and I can hear some of the MP3-like compression, especially in the mids, but the disc is still listenable to me and better than the overall cound of the CDR of the album I had before B&F issued theirs. I must say that I'm very sensetive to such compression, which leads me to my next point...

Even as much as downloads may be the way of the future, up until now, I only have 1 song in my collection that I downloaded off the internet (The original Indian version to Scratch's "Bird In Hand".) The reason for this is quality. I'd rather get a CDR of some crackly vinyl than an MP3 track where I can hear the MP3 type compression. If the sound quality isn't as high as it can be on a CD, I'm not going to download anything off the internet. Now I have a computer set up with 30,000+ MP3s on it, but they are all MP3s that I've made from my collection at high quality, and when it comes time to play a song on the raqdio or in a club, I'm going to play the CD or vinyl original that I have.

I think downloads could be an easy revenue generator for B&F, but this should only be a support for their CD production efforts.
http://www.algoriddim.org
benja

Postby Dr Sleeper » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:23 pm

Ekki wrote:Sorry guys, Dr.Sleeper ruined this thread for me. :cry:

:roll: Sorry I upset you Ekki. I'll leave now. JB, you more or less took over where I left off...
They have used guns to spoil the fun and force tasteless music upon the land. (Prince Buster)
Dr Sleeper

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion