DEAR BLOOD & FIRE CREW

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby informer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:02 pm

h.i.m.:

i'm not sure whether b&f leaves your era of interest.

something like the above suggestion by dom is just a
single cd project - and it's not the first.

I'm sure b&f will stay in the 70s/early 80s release wise.
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby Moses » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:10 pm

So there's no money to release a re-issue, but there is money to have roots manuva & ms. Dynamite voice over tracks? How much would Ms. Dynamite want 5k? 10k? 15k?

Good luck, but I'm looking at Pressure Sounds and their wonderfully varied re-issue program and wondering why them and not B&F?
Moses

Postby Chaz » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:47 pm

Surely the "Select Cuts...." series addressed the re-mix potential?

I would have thought it commercial suicide to try more...
Chaz

Postby dom » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:51 pm

maybe i wasn't clear enough, i said i wanted to build a re cut of baba boom and get it voiced by old ja guys and new uk rappers, an idea that i shouldn't have even bothered sharing by the look of it as some of you are so blinkered it's a shame.

there's tons of great jamaican records after sleng teng, but if you want to cut your self from enjoying new material it's your choice.

the idea is a good one, uk rap is on the up, u brown, u roy, dillinger, trinity, big youth et all would voice it willingly and for next to nothing, ms dynamite etc will voice it willingly for very little money, they (uk rappers) are desperate to get recognition in JA and USA.

why do you presume she would charge 10's of thousands?

buy pressure sounds by all means they need the support as much as we do, I was trying to generate some intrest in new projects

I'm not saying what our reissue programme is at all....

the select cuts series did 10k + on each issue, good figures given there was no promotion reeally or any adverts and the current economical climate.

play I some music - just a reggae music
dom

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:00 pm

Dom, that's a bloody fantastic idea!!

As long as you give the Microphone Don a piece of the action! :D

I used to love all the old school London Posse, Demon Boyz, Krispy(3) reggae/hip hop thing and bringing that style back is a good thing IMO.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Moses » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:17 pm

[quote="dom"]maybe i wasn't clear enough, i said i wanted to build a re cut of baba boom and get it voiced by old ja guys and new uk rappers, an idea that i shouldn't have even bothered sharing by the look of it as some of you are so blinkered it's a shame.

I don't think they are blinkered, they are wondering "what's going on?" probably

the idea is a good one, uk rap is on the up, u brown, u roy, dillinger, trinity, big youth et all would voice it willingly and for next to nothing, ms dynamite etc will voice it willingly for very little money, they (uk rappers) are desperate to get recognition in JA and USA.

I know the guy who produced the Ms Dynamite album and I doubt doing a disc with U Roy will enhance her reputation in the US or in the UK for that matter - serious marketing $$$$ will probably do the trick. She teamed up with Barrington Levy on her debut - it was nice, but let's face it, only interesting for people ITK.

why do you presume she would charge 10's of thousands?

I figured between 5 & 10k, I may be WELL wrong, but I don't think Ms. Dynamite is a charity institution now that she has seen serious sales. I also doubt she will reach the heights of the first album.

buy pressure sounds by all means they need the support as much as we do, I was trying to generate some intrest in new projects

I'm not saying what our reissue programme is at all....

I respect that and all you guys do but I think people get very mixed messages about the label they love when they hear these things.

the select cuts series did 10k + on each issue, good figures given there was no promotion reeally or any adverts and the current economical climate.

Out of interest - di you maintain payments to the original artists for these?

play I some music - just a reggae musi
Moses

Postby rutabowa » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:24 pm

i would love to hear Dizzee with Ranking Joe! um, tha's all i have to say really.
rutabowa

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:34 pm

Dom - your ideas are great - go with it!
Speak soon,
El chocco
Chocolate Soldier

Postby giab » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:03 pm

Honest Johns is Damon Alburn's label ?
bloody hell !!!!!!!
giab

Postby ian » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:22 pm

Sounds good to me aswell Dom, it's always great to hear new ideas and I'm sure the UK rappers will be up for it too.

I believe Damon Albarn has provided the money to finance the HJ releases, just like Mick Hucknall did for BAF, though I doubt whether he's involved in the compiling of the lp's.
ian

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Is that so on the Honest Jon front?
Their pressings look like they cost lots of dough to me with full colour sleeves on 10's etc..I always kinda wondered about that cuz it seemed like something hard to recoup on..
Is Honest Jon label same as Honest Jon shop?
Bong bong diddley
Ribbit oink
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:58 pm

sounds like a good idea to me dom.

how about some of the Saxon posse on there as well - inna fast chat style?
Anonymous

Postby Mark T » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:16 pm

I think your ideas are good Dom and I say that as someone who doesn't have much interest in rap/hip-hop at all. I don't have time nor money to invest in discovering a lot of the newer music but I have come to trust the judgment of BAF and PS so that when you guys release stuff I buy it with little hesitation. The Maximum Pressure releases were great for a buyer like me.
I think BAF needs to rethink its mandate somewhat as the playing field has changed and be willing to experiment a little.
I know it can't be easy but thanks for all the work you guys put in.
Mark T.

By way of small criticism. I thought the art work for DEB/Dub was atrocious - just bland which is worse than strikingly bad in my books.
Mark T

Postby canikickit » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:48 pm

Dom, I think they're great ideas too. I'd love to hear Dizzy Rascal on Ba Ba Boom, and I like a lot of that old style UK hip hop too, like London Posse and all that. Do it to it.
"I am the complete pioneer of everything"

Ken Khouri
canikickit

Postby His_Imperial_Measurements » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:01 am

When the majors have their marketing meetings and then their focus group meetings Boy/Girl Bands are generally defined as the things the public wants, and are rightly rejected as contrived rubbish by anyone with any interest in music as an art form of expression. What Dom is propsing sounds to me to be a similar contrivance.

If there is no place for the 1975-85 era DJ recordings that SB is alleged to be releasing on Microphonic I would suggest that there is no place for the 'mercy' (where eveyone involved gives their services for next to nothing) recordings that Dom is suggesting on the B+F label. Perhaps a subsidiary label is called for?

Inchpinchers.
Chicken Merry - Hawk Deh Near!
His_Imperial_Measurements

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion