DEAR BLOOD & FIRE CREW

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

DEAR BLOOD & FIRE CREW

Postby informer » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:38 am

is there anything in the pipeline for us, the customers ?

have forgotten the last release, too long ago ..........
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby Arvid » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:41 am

Arvid

Postby dom » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:59 am

next release is in march, it's a compilation from Mick Hucknall of his favourite Blood and Fire tracks, lot's of dub. To mark 10 years of Blood and Fire.

no new signings as yet cos we're peppered and have no cash to license anything yet!

after that we may be ready with a brand new congos lp, recorded in jamaica with the crem de la crem of JA musicians, old and new.

after that we've loads of ideas but like I say nowt signed!

hang on...
dom

Postby informer » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:33 am

to be honest that doesn't sound good, dom.

10 years anniversary and no new release (sampler doesn't count).

wail ...........
informer

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:48 am

< after that we may be ready with a brand new congos lp, recorded in jamaica with the crem de la crem of JA musicians, old and new. >

Cool - new stuff,

Well you know that may be a logical step for BAF seeing as there's so much competition in the reissue market now ...
After BAF mainly created a market in the 1st place for the reissues.

Roll with the punches & adapt the business plan to unexpected changes in the market

who can compete with Trojan now anyway..there's so much $ behind it.

its like Tesco vs all the mom & pop grocers
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Arvid » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:49 am

You're an impatient man, informer. Anniversaries of record companies (and artists) are often celebrated with a compilation.

Does a new Congos album not count as a new release?
Arvid

Postby dom » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:51 am

so a brand new roots lp by the congos doesn't sound good?

mmm we'll see about that king!

try running a label in the current economic climate!

our sales are down dramatically worldwide which means our cash flow is too which means we can't buy catalogue in!

catch 22 kidder!
dom

Postby informer » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:53 am

i better keep my expectations regarding a new congos lp for myself .....
informer

Postby ephteeay » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:57 am

its like Tesco vs all the mom & pop grocers

cant really beat the 10 jam donuts for 99p can you?
ephteeay

Postby David » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:19 pm

hey dom, whats about bunny lee giving you a good deal for another record. I mean, bunny must have earned quite a bit with you guys and certainly profited from the new reissue market BAF has very much helped to come into existance....so he could give you guys a bit of help back....

and by the way, a congos lp does sound great!
David

Postby dom » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:21 pm

well I agree with you choco, new stuff would be a good idea for us, I'm thinking of a few artists that need a new lp, but again cash flow is tough and it's hard to get music for nothing!

I can't make you like the congos informer, but I'm sure at least 50, 000 other people will, just like they did with Heart Of The Congos, our best seller.

Good news is that we didn't go bust last year, although we were close to it.

How can you sell a disc to a distributor at normal rates when Trojan are flooding the reggae market with cheap box sets?

If we cut our price there would be no money for running costs, Trojan are able to do it as they're not paying advances, royalties or even decent mastering or packaging!

capish?
dom

Postby His_Imperial_Measurements » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:39 pm

"I can't make you like the congos informer, but I'm sure at least 50, 000 other people will, just like they did with Heart Of The Congos, our best seller."

Eh?!? Doesn't make sense. 'Heart Of..' is a classic, possibly the greatest roots album ever. Their other albums pale into mediocrity by comparrison. How many units did last years 'Ashanti' sell? Somewhat less than 50,000 I would suggest.

"If we cut our price there would be no money for running costs, Trojan are able to do it as they're not paying advances, royalties or even decent mastering or packaging!"

Trojan certainly do pay royalties and advances ask Tappa Zukie what they paid compared with what B+F offered. Granted they don't always go crazy over sound quality (although I think Dave Hendley's always been pleased with the support they've put in on the projects he's been involved with), but the packaging is at least as good as anything B+F have come up with recently.

Inchpinchers
Chicken Merry - Hawk Deh Near!
His_Imperial_Measurements

Postby Arvid » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:15 pm

Mediocrity? That's ridiculous.
Arvid

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:20 pm

I agree with His_Imperial_Measurements on most, if not all these points.

How come Soul Jazz do not seem to be hampered in these ways with their output?

Who is behind that comany?
Jackie Pablo

Postby Moses » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:21 pm

New stuff would be great, and it makes a lot of sense I think.

It would also be interesting to see new artists/DJs chanting over the old rhythms like the Satta release - I can see that being a relatively cost effective way of issuing new music.

At the end of the day, Trojan may be flooding the market but they prove that there IS a market out there for reggae, even for rarer stuff...as well as Soul Jazz, PS, Makasound, Jet Star, VP - these outfits ARE doing something right and I can't beleive that their advantage lies with them cutting corners - but maybe it is! :shock: Even small outfits like Peckings etc. And to be honest, unless you find the right outlets none of this stuff is 'cheap'. The big retailers sell most Trojan stuff from 10 GBP to 17GBP for a new release box set.

I think what would be interesting for B&F from a grass roots perspective is to have street 'teams' of young kids who promote the company out there in return for goodies, experience and recognition at events etc. If it means selling an extra 1,000 on each title per year then cool at little cost then that might be something.

Soul Jazz have paired up with Mojo for the next issue for a Studio One sampler for example....
Moses

Next

Return to General discussion